Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / How to make a building crumble upon collision ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2004 06:12
Here is a big question I know... I am wondering how the best way to do a building crushing or crumbling, into pieces could be done the best. Like, make multiple models, and stack them together, then upon collision make them all move til collision with the plain, or is there a way to deform one mesh to make it appear to get crushed ? I need this for an action game I am working on.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Ken

[PKE] Pain Killa Entertainment(tm) [PKE]
Pain Brings Reality...
Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2004 07:49
is it a static bject or a mesh you load directly into the game?

anyone can be a hero, but a soldier can be a hero five minuets longer....
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
Newton Physics is what you are looking for.

More info here: [href]www.walaber.com[/href]
StOrM3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2004 22:05
That is what I am trying to consider, is all the different ways this can be achieved and which one will be the best one, I want to make it when my vehicle model strikes a building, it gets destroyed, falls all apart depending on the vehicle speed or number of times the building is hit.

I need to figure out whether I need to load several models and stack them on top of each other and use newton physics, maybe using Newton Game Dynamics engine, or is there some kind of mesh manipulation or changes I can apply to the models to make them appear destroyed, in combination with particles and explosion, smoke fx.. ??

Any example would be greatly appreciated, even if it just uses the built in cube models to demonstrate it.

Thanks for all your help, this is great. I finally am getting the hang of DBPro, I actually have my vehicle loaded and a nice huge terrain made for it, now have to add the buildings, and figure out how to make the fx I want.

Pain Brings Reality...
Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 01:46
well you should consider the stacking option as your best one because it would take way to long for the mesh manipulaton coding, so yeah i suggest you just put some blocks on top of eachother and have some kind of physics dll take it down and around, for the smoke how ever all you have to do is use one of those dbpro built in things i think one of them is smoke rendering. Here is a crude example of the building code

Hope this helps

Osirus

StOrM3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 05:57
Nice, good idea, also, I found something to make the task a wee bit easier as well. I found the explode tool in milkshape3d makes good explosion animations using bones automatically, and looks really good, triangles fly everywhere, so I exported the model to a *.x file, and will write the code tonight to load and play the animation, when num_hits >= 2 or something like this..

Any code examples showing how to display a *.x file, then to play its animation at a later time, one shot animation, then remove the object from the screen, after the fire and smoke particles that is.

I am having way too much fun with this project, I love it.. This is going to be a fun game.

Thanks for all the help btw, keep the ideas, code samples and anything else you got coming. Some physics combined with the exploding model should make for extra nice fx. Any ideas what to use for physics code using the newton engine ? I have the newton engine for 3d Gamestudio, but don't know if it will also work for dbpro or not, since it was written in C, I have the sourcecode to it, possible to make a dll file that I can use in dbpro ?

Thanks again to everyone, especially osirus! Your name will definitely go in the creds... along with TGC, and the author of Newton, and Nuclear glory, since I will most likely use that for my collision detection, even though it is somewhat simple in nature.

Pain Brings Reality...
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 06:22
Wallaber has written a wrapper for the newton dll, check the program announcements board, it`s free and works well, there are some demos of ragdolls and knocking things down too, well worth a look, read the documentation first though, it`s somewhat different from "normal" programming.

Mentor.

PC1: P4 3ghz, 1gig mem, 3x160gig hd`s, Radeon 9800pro w cooler (3rd gfx card), 6 way speakers.
PC2: AMD 2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra, 16 bit SB.
Mini ATX cases suck.
Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 11:52 Edited at: 29th Sep 2004 11:53
cool im glad it helped

Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 11:54
for the newton engine thing im preatty sure that you can put it to a DLL to use it

StOrM3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2004 02:50
Thanks alot you guys, btw: you should all be using milkshape3d for your explosion animations, very nice, one of the best explosion anim8rs I have seen, and the must have fixed it in the update, because I remember back in version 1.70 it didn't work worth a crap. BTW: Can someone point me to a good reference on creating a map for uv using ultimate unwrap3d ? I have that, and milkshape3d, and I want to make it where all my models have one big skin, like an mdl, or md2 etc.. Can someone help me with this, tutorials on a site somewhere perhaps ?

Thanks for all your help, Ken BTW: do you guys have any good examples of playing animated .x or md2 or md3 files ? Need an example showing static simple 1 frame object first, until collision, then play the animation when I want it to.

Pain Brings Reality...
StOrM3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2004 03:14
Guess noone has an example showing how to play an animated .x file, or how to setup uv mapping coords on a .x, mdl, md2 file ? Any help would be greatly appreciated, btw: I checked out newton, and it is kinda hard to understand what to use to do what, and how to get it all setup, etc..

Pain Brings Reality...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 01:16:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 01:16:21