Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Thats one small step for man - one giant leap for Richard Branson

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2004 07:18
Well smack my face and paint my bottom blue! Richard Branson has just inaugurated the commercial space age:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3693020.stm

This is really good news. If Bush's vision of going back to the Moon and onwards to Mars is followed through by whoever wins the US election (and I'm sceptical) then things are really looking up space-wise. After 30 years of declining space investment, suddenly humanity is going forwards and upwards again.

I might actually get to see a permanent base on another moon/planet before I die.

Very chuffed,

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2004 07:21
looks promising, but still bloody expensive, the reduced prce tag may help

:: Pulse Board Forums :: Want Gmail? Email me ::
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
Untill I read the link for a while, I thought you were talking about the creator of 3D Canvas.

PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
YES I can say the first l33t word on the moon!
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
It doesn't go to the moon; only 3 minutes in space.
And you can't go unless you have 100,000 wierd money.

PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline

That means i can go
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2004 08:06 Edited at: 30th Sep 2004 01:49
Space saver

Absent.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2004 08:11
Alright!
About time we actually started doing something in space again.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2004 09:04
Bush's space plan will probably be scrapped, but maybe not. That combind with commercial space projects (which are really going to be the future of space technology innovation as far as I'm concerned; NASA hasn't done crap for decades) could mean a bright future ahead. Maybe even commercial extraterrestrial resource gathering in the next couple of generations-- there are a lot of natural resources out there .

[center]
"Humans are useless they can only give you questions."
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2004 15:34
Quote: "Untill I read the link for a while, I thought you were talking about the creator of 3D Canvas."
me too lol.

I hope they will scrap that idea and put the $10000 a year they get from me into feeding the people we have here on earth. I would love to explore outer space but not until we can take care of the people here on earth.

Robin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2004 21:08
lol on the news yesterday they had about this and then at the end the reporter said:
"Virgin trains ran into trouble again today - The question is, if Richard Branson's having trouble running the trains, how's he going to manage flying to space?"

...well I thought it was pretty funny anyway...

http://www.thegameszone.tk | robin@thegameszone.tk
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 00:23
Quote: "I hope they will scrap that idea and put the $10000 a year they get from me into feeding the people we have here on earth."

Welfare destroys the economy-- simple fact. The more money is put into buying food for people who can't afford it, the weaker the economy comes and the closer it comes to a total collapse, which would basically be a second Depression. It is impossible to 'stop hunger'. Too much money is wasted around the world on the fruitless and destructive pursuit of equalizing the world. It's about time some real visionaries pursue a tangible and realistic hope for the future.

[center]
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 02:19
i agree but this may turn into a flame now

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 04:04
Sorry

[center]
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 04:13 Edited at: 29th Sep 2004 04:16
actualy NASA don`t want to go to the Moon, they are backpedaling and resisting ideas to start any lunar colony or anything like that, they want to spend the money on "pure" science and research instead, even if they don`t get as much money in total without the moon budget they get to spend more on probes and dumb tonka toys that get lost/stuck and don`t do much, than they would if all the spare cash went on manned flights to the moon, they would have to reduce the pure science to almost nothing, and lotsa scientists in Nasa don`t want that.
likewise McDonnel/Boeing etc don`t want any cheap space launch systems, they are perfectly happy to charge Nasa billions for launchers they have been making for so long they probably only cost $50 each to make by now (sarcasm), they would rather take huge swaths of cash for very little effort than bust a gut developing something cheap as a replacement, look how much they managed to mop up developing the x33 or whatever it was called, 30 billion later they scrapped the idea, 30 billion to make nothing? I could do that for half the money
think how much it costs to maintain a research station at at either of the poles, and all the attempts to close them down as too expensive, it`s just military presence that keeps them open, how long would a lunar base last?, at five hundred to one thousand times the cost of a polar base per year?, I bet you it wouldn`t make it halfway to the next election.
until we get some Henry Ford of space, someone who makes the sort of rocket you see in the comics, easy to maintain, runs on a few gallons of fuel, lands anywhere, can cross the solar system in a few days, then not a lot is going to happen, and realy, if there is bacterial life out there, then the government running the show is the safest option, you don`t want some guy wiping out the human race `cos he never realised he was infected with Martian plague or something and needed to go through decontamination on his return (or maybe just never come back at all for the sake of the rest of humanity).

Mentor.

PC1: P4 3ghz, 1gig mem, 3x160gig hd`s, Radeon 9800pro w cooler (3rd gfx card), 6 way speakers.
PC2: AMD 2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra, 16 bit SB.
Mini ATX cases suck.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 04:36
No, I'm sure the government wouldn't control that. However, no government owns space-- it's not up to them is it ?

There is a big market for space travel. The market begins with the multi-millionares who want to go on a space flight for a lot of money. If I was really, really rich I'd sure want to do that before I died. It's an incredibly small market but one that pays an incredible lot of money. Between the funds raised by them and investors interested in the future of the industry, enough testing, design and construction can take place to lower the price range, widening the market. So it continues.

Meanwhile, seperate groups will be pursuing space travel for their own interests-- mining, mostly, possibly colonization.

The thing that worries me the most is the possibility of corperations claiming portions of space for their own. A 100% corperate-controlled space is as much of a nightmare as a 100% government-controlled space. Of course, that's about a century (give or take 99 years) in the future...

[center]
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 05:17
don`t worry Mouse, I wasn`t on about government controling space but government controling access to space and Earth, if there was bacterial infections to be caught or brought back out in space, or even if some relativley harmless bacteria taken up by a guy with a cold mutated into something deadly from being affected by radiation levels that you don`t normaly get on the ground, if private companies controled everything they would be slack (cos it`s cheaper) and probably (inadvertantly) release a plague that could make the black death look like a common cold outbreak.
I would prefer a solid beurocracy that just plods along and makes no exceptions, to a private setup that overlooks things cos they never had problems before, just seems safer IMO (although nothings foolproof, but this seems the best option to me), government should control quarantine and movement of people and goods is all I am saying, I don`t trust them unreservedly, but I trust a beurocracy more than I trust "Jedi Laker spacetours Co Ltd" to do (or try to do) the right thing in a crisis.
as for companies controling space, they can`t do that any more than one country could, they have treaties and laws limiting the use of space that apply to countries and nationals of countries, so you should at least be safe on that score.

Mentor.

PC1: P4 3ghz, 1gig mem, 3x160gig hd`s, Radeon 9800pro w cooler (3rd gfx card), 6 way speakers.
PC2: AMD 2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra, 16 bit SB.
Mini ATX cases suck.
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 05:44
@Mouse Agreed to some extent. If they would stop building billions of dollars of weapons and upkeep the ones we have, stop trying to go to outer space, stop paving the roads every year or 2 (at least they do here and the roads look fine), stop wasting so much money on making murderers compfortable until they are "humanely" put to death (years and years later) among other things where the government wastes money we could at least try to help people. It should be the governments responsibility to make sure people have jobs available if not they should concentrate on helping those for which jobs simply do not exist. If people are just too sorry to work then screw them, but when there are no jobs ... it is not their fault. If the government didn't waste so much money I would gladly pay more than I do now. It just makes me so mad to hand over 40% of my income to them and see them blow it feeding and helping people in other countries while people starve in ours. Didn't want to turn this into a flame war I'm through now.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 05:50 Edited at: 29th Sep 2004 06:02
Quote: "It should be the governments responsibility to make sure people have jobs available if not they should concentrate on helping those for which jobs simply do not exist."

It's this I disagree with-- quite strongly. A government with the power to do that is too powerful, and too powerful a government is evil. If the government stays out of peoples' business, the economy remains stable. It was intervention from the government that caused the Depression in the first place. I have more to say-- but... I really shouldn't hijack the thread ... if you're interested in discussing this further, I'd be glad to create another thread (or you could ).

Mentor-> Yeah, it's not all that grim a future really . Perhaps we'll both get to go on space flights some day.

Edit-- I forgot to say...

Quote: "It just makes me so mad to hand over 40% of my income to them and see them blow it feeding and helping people in other countries while people starve in ours."

Now that I totally, absolutely, completely agree with .

[center]
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 05:57
@LiT: thats like: Give a man a net and he can get his own food, i agree

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 18:31:10
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 18:31:10