Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Ummm. Whats up with my network speed?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 00:36
Hi. I´ve been having a problem with the SP2 firewall(Well I think that´s the course) I have a peer to peer connection through my router and my pcs can see each other and pass files to and through but they do it at a terrible speed(Only a bit faster than my internet connection). I was just wondering. Has anyone encountered this problem and knows how to fix it? I´m sure it´s just something I need to configure with the firewall.
Thanks for your help.

A bargain at 900000€ second hand
Libera tu mente y te liberaras.
IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 00:59
have you got another firewall other than the windows one? because if you have you better switch off the windows firewall because they can conflict with each other

Used to be Phoenix Insane : PC Spec-AMD Athlon 2.0Ghz,GeForce FX5200 128mb,512MB of ram, Win XP Pro SP2 . Last reformat: 17/09/2004
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 01:01
I like to install NetBEUI, which can help with a lot of small networking issues - when you say peer to peer, do you mean like a file-sharing program, or just a standard network?

Also, how are you copying the files, a simple explorer copy through the network connections should be plenty fast, like as fast as copying from a CD Rom in some cases.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 04:05
Before I had Sp2 I used another firewall that I had to deactivate on only the pc where the data was coming from to use it. It would come up with an error if I didn´t deactivate any or if deactivated both firewalls. So at least with this firewall I can transfer things slooowly using explorer without deactvating one.

By peer to peer I mean 2 pcs connected to the router to use the internet and transfer files but without having one pc as server. This way I don´t have to have one pc on to use the other for internet.
I haven´t got any other firewalls installed other than the windows one.
Thanks for the tips guys.

A bargain at 900000€ second hand
Libera tu mente y te liberaras.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 18:30:04
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 18:30:04