Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Online ports?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 05:43
Heya
I was just wondering if anyone knew what ports the DirectPlay over TCP/IP connections use - I need to set my NAT to direct it to my machine, but I don't have a machine to try to connect to me to find out with.

Basically, what port does DBPro/DP over TCP/IP use?

Thanks in advance,

Random
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 08:47
RandomSKK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2004 02:59
So that's 1900 and 2300 on UDP?
Just wondering: why UDP, not TCP?
If the connection is TCP/IP....

heh. Sorry for not finiding that page - I geuss my search only covered the newcomers corner >.<
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2004 08:09
You should follow the link that I provided too.

DirectPlay just seems to use UDP, and doesn't touch TCP.

Your connection is actual IP, and normally you use TCP on top of it. With DirectPlay, you use UDP on top of it instead.

UDP is used because it can be faster:
- Packets can be delivered out of order. With TCP you get the packets in order, with the system holding up packets if necessary until earlier ones arrive.
- Packets are not guaranteed to be delivered. With TCP, it will retry the transmission of the packet if it has not been received by the destination within a certain time. This can cause problems because TCP will only allow up to 8 packets to be in transmission at any time.

This gives you the chance with UDP to recover from missing or late packets in your own way.

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
RandomSKK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2004 08:26
Ok, thanks

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 01:21:05
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 01:21:05