Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / WTF!!!! Is wrong with my computer?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 09:41
My computer is seriously messed up. I cant even use it. Im posting on here using my moms computer...

Ok, I leave my computer on all the time...like alot of people, and i have it set so in like 15 minutes it goes into standby. So one day I go up and hit enter to wake it up out of standby. Instead of just coming up to the desktop, its a black screen, with a little purple dot, kinda pulsating near the bottom of the screen. At first I thought of a screensaver, because i have it set so it doesnt go to a screensaver just straight into standby. That was my first thought, but how could i forget puting a screensaver on my comp, and one that boring. Anyway, then i thought "Oh sh$$, I bet its a virus." And well...i never proved that. Once I got on it I knew right off the bat that it was no screensaver. Anything i did, it wouldnt return to windows, I figured it out by pushing alt+ctrl+del...windows was alive. Everything was working fine so i discarded the memory of the glowing dot. A couple of days later (today), i wanted to uninstall one of my games, actually it was a game and an expansion pack. First I uninstalled the actual game first (Empire Earth)...then at the end when it asked me if i wanted to restart my computer now, i clicked no. Then i closed that dialog box, and uninstalled the expansion pack (Empire Earth: The Art Of Conquest). I did the same thing, and clicked to restart my computer later. After i closed the dialog box...i restarted my computer, this is where things started to go wrong. Instead of returning to windows, the recovery console comes up. It gives you three windows installments to choose from. One of them was C:\windows. I clicked that one, and it asked me for the administrator password. I typed it in, and it said it was invalid. I have tried everything except the one thing that will make it windows come back. I have done everything within my knowledge of DOS to check for windows, and it says its still there. Sometime in my past i have heard of a virus that can completely wipe out your drive, could this have possibly be whats wrong with mine? If anyone knows whats wrong, or have had this happen to them, please, help me...

Thanks in advance...if someone does help im going to thank anyway, so there is no use in putting "thanks in advance" on the bottom of this post...

Yeah...
Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 09:48
Its possible your admin password is just "" (nothing). When windows is about to start/load, press F8. When you see the boot menu select "restore registry" or something. If it doesnt work, try everything from the list.

Lzdude69
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 09:54
Im going to try the "" password. But the problem with the other one is, windows doesnt even try. Ok, you know when you first start up your computer, and theres that little line in the top-left corner of the screen and you can here your hard-drive starting up. Well it does that then you know the loading bar at the bottom of the screen when you wake up your comp from hibernation. Its that insted of the XP screen, and it says "Recovery Console...Please Wait" then something about press F6 if you need to install RAID controllers, orsomething like that.

Yeah...
Lzdude69
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 10:05
I tried the "" password and i got onto the windows system, but its like DOS. There is no windows or anything, its just C:\windows, it basically just gave me permission to get in. Oh yeah, thanks for pointing that out to me.

Yeah...
Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 12:15 Edited at: 29th Sep 2004 12:15
dude if you can use the system restore disk and if you dont have one anymore call the company and have them send you a new one, that or call the geek squad at best buy maybe they can help

anyone can be a hero, but a soldier can be a hero five minuets longer....
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 13:32
Does booting in safe mode work?

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 14:12
Are your files still there? I.e. 'CD' to a path you know exists and has personal files in it (My Documents, for example) then type 'Dir' and see if your files are in it.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 16:31 Edited at: 29th Sep 2004 16:32
take the hdd out and put it as a slave in another pc, turn that pc on, go to the slave hdd in my computer and see if theres anything on there.

edit: and if there is, ffs, back up all your documents and saved games etc.

Lzdude69
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2004 12:19
Yay!!! I fugured it out, it was a batch script that was screwing it up. Thanx for all of your help.

Yeah...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 18:28:25
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 18:28:25