Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / dont sleep. ever.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
yo the other night i got mad sleep and i was tired all day. last night i got almost no sleep and today i had alot of energy. this proves that sleep is usless and a conspiracy and you should dance like a monkey. man, i feel tired....

The Videogameaholic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2004 14:45
My record is 85 hours awake. Last time I checked guiness, the world record was like 11 days.

My friend came over around hour 65. We started talking and he goes, "Wow, you aren't even tired are you?" I thought for a second and say, "Nope." He asked if I was on sugar or caffiene or the like and I replied, "Well, I just ate a ham sandwich a half hour ago..."

RMPVG (Real Men Play Video Games)
Soy Cocktail
Years of Service
User Offline
It seems like 6 hours is my breaking point anymore and I am tired 6 or less and im good to go. Except for weekends then its more like 13 hours of sleep.

Aku Soku Zan
Wicked Immedate Slay
Slay Evil Immedately
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2004 15:57
Most I have ever gone was 38 hours, once I hit 24 it felt like a different reality, the hours afterward were spent trying to catch the marshmallow kitten. Me and the kitty were best friends. I haven't seen him since

Remember, Jimmy still loves you.
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2004 16:27
Can't sleep, clowns will get me.

But... I have gone somewhere around 7 days no sleep. and i usually pull an all nighter about once every 4 days.

The master of staying up long times though is Kentaree. Maybe its insomnia, maybe he is just crazy, maybe its a bit of both, but he can do it.

AMD 64bit 3200+, Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro motherboard, 512meg HYPER RAM, ATI Radeon 9600XT 128mb, 120GB Maxtor 7200RPM, nFinity Version 2
Indian Homie G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2004 16:32
in highschool now, I have had to stay up till one, doing HW (of course ) at the latest. I'm a growing boy, I need sleep. Probably gonna be up till 12:30-1:00, still have Al 2 trig HW, and its 11:30. Got a gay english paper to write.

Quote: "But... I have gone somewhere around 7 days no sleep. and i usually pull an all nighter about once every 4 days."

Ur crazy.

AMD Athlon XP 3000+, S3 Deltachrome s8, 512 PC3200 RAM, 160 GB HD
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2004 17:18
I rarely pull all nighters these days, unless it's like 2 days till a compo deadline or something - but I can feel my attention span shrinking the more tired I get, so I usually decide to crash when things stop making sense.
I think the longest I've gone is probably 30 hours, but I often go to work on no sleep at all (insomnia), but as soon as I get back from work, I have to sleep. I tend to lie in at the weekends too, there's nothing better than waking at 8am and remembering you don't have to get up got work - I usually don't get up before 12.

The strange thing is that I feel most alert at about 5pm, tired all day then I get a jolt of energy that lasts till about 9, it's like time passes slower between those hours or something, that's when it's most fruitful to work.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Kharnor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2004 17:29
I didn't get up this morning.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2004 17:43
I didn't get up this morning either, cause I didn't sleep.
I do all nighters quite frequently, mainly because I can't sleep at night. I'm a night owl. I think my record is somewhere between 60-72 hours. And for those of you who think you can stay awake for 2 days, then drive a long way home, DON'T DO IT! Good thing there was a guardrail.

"eureka" - Archimedes
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2004 18:08
I did 44 hours when my son was born. The missus decided to go into labour at 11:00 pm, after being up since 7am. I was so hyped up when I eventually got home that I finished "Larry Laffer in the Lair of the Lounge Lizards" before I crashed out.

I also did a 38 hour shift at work when a drive died and we had no RAID system at the time. They very kindly told me I couldn't claim any overtime, or time off. When I handed my notice in a couple of weeks later I was told "it's the worst decision I would ever make". yeah, right! My eyes were opened to the real world.

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2004 22:44
I don't know, I've probably gone about 17 hours without sleep at the most. Yeah, I like to sleep... although I don't really sleep in at all.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
the natural body clock for humans is actually 30 hours, not 24. Scientists prooved this by putting people in rooms where they had no access to the time, not even windows to see how bright/dark it is out. when it gets into the holidays i adopt this cycle, just through natural habit of going to bed when i feel like it.

the longest i stayed awake was 9 AM Friday ---> 10:30 PM monday. i managed to get 3 hrs sleep during those 4 days

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2004 02:53
Quote: " the world record was like 11 days"
yes, thats because after that you die

I shall explain:
Your brain, and your nerves are made of neurones and they send electrical pulses along, used for senses, remembering things and thinking etc. When a neuron sends the message to another it loses a chemical (lots of them, forgot the name). However, there is a load of this stuff stored in vacuols (spelling?) in the neurones. The body also makes it constantly. However, it makes it faster while sleeping, so if you don't sleep you will eventually run out and die.

That is a simple, basic and probably correct version.

My personal record is 56 hours. My dad was dying from a brain haemorridge (spelling? + he's fine now) and i had tonnes of coursework and I just didn't want to sleep. I fell asleep at my friends house, watching a film.

N30F15H

:: Pulse Board Forums :: Want Gmail? Email me ::
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2004 19:44
Your brain needs sleep, not only for the reasons mentioned before, but when you sleep, your brain sorts itself out. That's really what dreams are - your brains working through all the stress and crazyness that you've experienced that day. Without sleep your brain can't jetison this stuff and it ends up *leaking* out while your awake, giving waking dreams and hallucinations. Pretty freaky stuff, sleep deprevation can push you over the edge or even kill you.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2004 19:49
which brings me to my next point kids, DON'T SMOKE CRACK.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2004 21:17
...and still nobody has mentioned having children

I had an extended coding session 2 nights ago till about 1:30 in the morning. Then the youngest one (7 months) woke up at 2:00 am, and stayed awake until 6:00 am. I'm still knackered 2 days later.

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2004 04:55 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2004 04:57
sleeping refreshes you both emotionally and (warning! religous reference in the box!!!)
it just lets you feel like you are starting over...if you had a bad day then you'll feel new the next day...

@batvink+children.......lol

"We make the worst games in the universe."

Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
yeh- peter's right ^_^

DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
i can pull an all-nighter with no problem, and i don't really feel tired the next day, but i'm in a REALLY SH**TTY mood. i've never stayed up more than maybe 36 hours at a stretch and i don't really intend to. i <3 my sleep.

also pulling an all-nighter really screws up your memories. it's so confusing to think that there were two of everything in the past bout of consciousness - two mornings, two noons, two evenings, two sunrises, two sunsets.. it makes it nearly impossible to place the memories. also i have trouble remembering things that happened after pulling an all-nighter. it's like my daily memory buffer fills up and things just get pushed out of it...

i still love you, judas
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2004 07:10
Lol@EricT

Yup, I went something like 9 days without sleep, and a couple of weeks before that getting an average of about 3-4 hours sleep a night. Then when I took tablets for it, they gave me migraines

AMD Athlon XP2800+
GeForce FX5200 128MB
1024MB DDR 333MHz RAM
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "REALLY SH**TTY mood"

Same with me.

nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Aye, my head begins to hurt to the point where concentration becomes wonderfully difficult. Yes, that's right folks, I'm not super human <shock, gasp>

As for hallucinations, I recall an occurence where I was continually up late doing course work (was covering quite an amount of Edgar Allen Poe, funnily enough - "Quothe the Raven, Nevermore...") Anyhow, was somewhere between midnight and 4 AM on another full night of work, I was starting to slump a bit although I was still awake, then suddenly my pen (lying on the desk) jumped out and tried to bite me in the face. It looked like a snake. Gave me quite the start. I sat there and looked and my still pen on the desk. At least it helped wake me up again

Lead Programmer/Director
Powerful Collision DLL for DBPro and DBC: http://www.nuclearglory.com
Lightwave Scene Exporter to .X also at: http://www.nuclearglory.com
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2004 15:08
Ive done a 3 day stint but it was natural, I went to a 3 day rave in the bushlands in sydney, they usually call those parties doofs.

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2004 17:08
you know what puts you in a Sh**ty mood? -> lack of sleep and they buying FarCry and the CD cracks out of the case.

Current Projects: Verious things right now. Lots of utils for game making. Hopefully something solid soon.

http://www.geocities.com/djpeterson83

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 18:41:02
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 18:41:02