Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / The Cocoa Crisis

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2004 00:18 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2004 00:19
We were recently told at work that chocolate bar prices from the vending machine were being increased by 12.5% due to the current cocoa crisis.

After a quick question on a post-it note, the guy who refills it very kindly responded with a post-it that wholesale prices were still high.

My research shows the average price last year was 79.6 cents / lb, compared to an average this year of 69.4 cents / lb. I've left this info on another post-it note, I'll keep all you cocoa-concerned pundits informed of his next response.

In the meantime, if anyone else has a vending machine they can post the question on, it will greatly aid my research. I'm willing to host a gallery of post-it photos should this escalate into the major issue that I believe this should be.

Justice for Cocoa!

Footnote: On a more serious note, it looks like manufacturers are taking advantage of previously high prices, to no advantage for the more deprived countries which produce it. Post-It and find out why!

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2004 01:02 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2004 01:03
If this hadn't been you posting BatVink I honestly would have thought "what is this guy on?".

Now I know that for sure

If you have issues with companies ripping off cocoa producing countries - then buy fair trade chocolate. Simple really! My personal favourite would be the Dubble bar.

Cheers,

Rich

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2004 01:09
@BatVink - My family owns a couple of vending machines. I'll confront the stock lady and ask if she's heard anything.

Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2004 01:10
I hope belgian chocolats will not become more expensive, it tastes so good

- Mind the gap -
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2004 01:21
I love Belgian chocolate, but it's too rich, it get's sickly if you eat too much. Personally I'm a Cadburry fan, most other chocolate sucks in comparison. Not that I eat too much chocolate though, I prefer boiled sweets, like an old woman really, cinnamon balls are my favourites .

The annoying thing about our vending machine at work, firstly they got rid of the Trebor SoftFruits, and secondly the woman who fills it has a mullet and also chooses lunchtime to fill the machine up - round about the time when most people want to use it .

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2004 02:27
Quote: "If this hadn't been you posting BatVink I honestly would have thought "what is this guy on?"."

oh-oh. I've managed to frequent these forums for 18 months without any reputation or give-away traits. I've been able to comment as a neutral bystander on many global topics, such as Skegness, women and light bulbs.

Obviously this post has tipped the balance.

In my defence, the chocolate company did post a notice blaming the cocoa crisis for the price hike.

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2004 03:47
I blame the internet. The piracy of chocolate bars over p2p networks is crippling the industry.

[center]
"Humans are useless they can only give you questions."
MikeyP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2004 05:48
*Glances at Mouses' post and then uninstalls his MarsTorrent*

Ahem, more on topic, My school has some vending machines, it will be quite intresting to see if the prices go up, Then do a little post-it conversation with the diner staff
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I love Belgian chocolate, but it's too rich. It gets sick if you eat too much. Personally, I'm a Cadburry fan. Most other chocolates suck in comparison. Not that I eat too much chocolate though, I prefer boiled sweets. Like an old woman really. Cinnamon balls are my favourites.

The annoying things about our vending machine at work are: first, they got rid of the Trebor SoftFruits, and second, the woman who fills it has a mullet and chooses lunchtime to fill the machine up - round about the time when most people want to use it."

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2004 07:38
Quote: "Then do a little post-it conversation with the diner staff "

That's the spirit, join the brothers and march on against this mockery that is draining us of our right to chocolate, and at the right price.

BatVink
Terms & Conditions apply
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2004 10:28
I too was ready to join this action until I realised my supply of post-it notes had depleted, upon arriving at the newsagent to purchase more, I noted an astronomical increase in the retail price of Post-It's!

Apparently the adhesive used in post-it's is currently in shortage also, I have left a note on a chocolate bar wrapper to enquire as to what is going on. I am eagerly awaiting a reply.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2004 12:36
you guys havent tried chocolate until u have real couveture.

mmmmmmmm lush

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2004 13:23
anyone tried that Torblone chocolate hazel thing...mmmmm

too bad I have sworn off all chocolate due to 258 cholesterol.

doctors orders.

DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 DarkTOPIA site coming soon!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2004 19:42
I think I upset the choccy man. The machine is empty, and he hasn't returned to refill it.

I can only hope I am not blamed and banned from the coke machine as retribution. Sugar is my lifeline.

BatVink
Terms & Conditions apply
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2004 19:45
Tried Canderell (or however its spelt) ?

UK Convention : 23/24th of October. Be there or be an UNE DODGY PLONKEN
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2004 21:22
Quote: "Tried Canderell (or however its spelt)"

You'll never put another sweetener in your system again if you read this (one of many sources)...
http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/damage.txt

BatVink
Terms & Conditions apply
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2004 21:40
Heh, I have a condition that my body isnt able to break down phenylalanine (the stuff that is in aspartame), so if I have to much of it, I can get brain damage. That said, it seems its a good thing I can't have it anyway

AMD Athlon XP2800+
GeForce FX5200 128MB
1.25GB DDR 333MHz RAM
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2004 22:08
I make a concious effort tpo avoid sweeteners. It's very difficult though, even non-diet drinks contain it, and bizarre products like Super Noodles (4-minute quick noodles to the rest of the world).

I find it quite annoying that some products are marketed as "good for kids" yet contain such a controversial ingredient. One of the best examples is Ribena Toothkind.

BatVink
Terms & Conditions apply
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2004 22:28
I'm in a mood to beat the living daylights out of these conspiracy nut jobs. [Or is that the aspartame talking?]
--
TAZ

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1
Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2004 23:40
Candy
Chocolate
*** balls

Bleh, I prefer:

flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2004 00:13
jpegs?

Current Project: Cube3 Arena (TGC Compo Entry)
Gir
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2004 00:33
@Mr Flibble lol

I'm makin' a cake...
Karlos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2004 21:08
Quote: "Please do not switch from one dangerous artificial sweetener
(aspartame) to another (e.g., acesulfame-k). I have a resource
list of "healthier" sweeteners and sources on my web page. Please
use these more natural, time-tested sweeteners to promote long-term
health as opposed to destroying it.
"

funny how someone issuing a health warning with no references happens to sell alternatives

All Hail the Glory of the HypnoToad
XP Pro - Radeon 9000 Mobility- P4 3.0ish
Football management - Football Manager

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 20:31:52
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 20:31:52