Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Controllers

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2004 19:52
This is a general question for anyone that has a joystick controller.

What kind of connector does the joystick you use have?

e.g. 15 pin, or usb?
flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2004 19:55
Both. I have a Logitech Wingman Extreme joystick, and it has an adapter, so you can use either. The 15 pin requires special drivers though

http://www.jellystudios.tk
Current Project: Cube3 Arena (TGC Compo Entry)
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2004 20:05
I've got that too, I'm sure, seeming as I haven't used it for ages. Check out some sites to find out what the standard is, or wait for response.

:: Pulse Board Forums :: Want Gmail? Email me ::
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2004 20:24 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2004 20:24
Yeah I'm waiting for a few responses while I test out some code. I dug out my old gravis and most of my new computers don't even have a port for it. I was disappointed but finally found a test machine. I'm trying to see if I can use the pc system bus to directly program the controller dll.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2004 20:47
My MS Sidewinder Pro only uses the 15-pin port and since nothing else uses it, I may as well not waste a USB slot on the joystick.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2004 20:58
I forgot about something before making this post. I had the code all ready that I just spent some time on, hooked up the controller, got the debugger ready. Started the program and had it break at the commands entry, and started single stepping. Right at the command that grabs the status byte from the pc's system bus, BAM, xp killed it there. I forgot that microsoft killed access to the hardware, unless you're running in kernel mode. It's kind of funny since they said hardware access was disabled, but I can get use of the floppy drive controller on the motherboard directly and not the port for the controller.

I'll either have to get rid of this idea, or find some kernel mode hack...
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2004 21:00 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2004 21:00
I usually use a USB connection (always found gameports to be too unreliable). I'm thinking of getting a PS/PS2 controller with adapter and using that, as my old Logitech joypad is now broken...

Come to the UK Convention on the 23rd & 24th of October

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 18:25:39
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 18:25:39