Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / New Programmer needs advice

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

The only experience I have had with telling a computer what to do is HTML, JavaScript, and Logo(that I learned at school) I'm 14 and I want to start using complicated programming languages. I asked my computer teacher (who only knows how to type, send e-mails, and use logo) and she said that BASIC is one of the easier languages to learn from what she has heard. So I was on a quest for basic and came across this site. So, I was wondering if DARKBasic would be too hard for a first timer? I really want to make games but would it be easier for me to start with Microsoft .NET Visual Basic?

Also, can you make functional programs other than games with DarkBasic? I want to learn how to make other programs that I could use for practical purposes. (Calculators, business software etc....)

Thank you,

Kevin B
Guyon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2004 12:34
DarkBasic Pro is better for games and graphics then Microsoft VB. MS VB is better for structured output for other types of programs.

DBpro is not hard to learn, but it sounds like you are leaning to VB as the better choice for you.

Though you can make other types of programs with DBpro than games (some are very close to VB like output) especially if you get if you get RobK's DLL.
So if you want to make games, graphics and other programs you might want to look into DBpro with RobK's DLL.

Also DBpro is cheaper.
Spaceman Spiff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2004 12:38
Hi! Kevin B and welcome to the forums (I hope i'm allowed to do that.)

I think DBPro(DarkBasicPro) is worth the money I've had alot more fun with it than I ever had with QBasic which is the only other language I've used exstensivly(spelling) I've got a smattering of HTML, C++ and VisualBasic as well, it's really easy compared to the standard QBasic stuff I have used in the past.

Plus the community is great, most people here are real helpful.

Quote: " Also, can you make functional programs other than games with DarkBasic? I want to learn how to make other programs that I could use for practical purposes. (Calculators, business software etc....)
"

Yes you can make all that stuff and just about everything else you can think of proggraming.

I'll try to log back on and answer the rest of your Qs later My mom's gonna kill me for being late for dinner!

Takes 1 2 no 1
Kevin B
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks guys, i did a little research and i think im gonna download the lite version of this and see how i like it. If it suits me i'll buy it. So you can expect to talk to me till I find something better. Or forever if i dont

Kevin B
The Videogameaholic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2004 14:34
I first got into programming with the intention to make games. I was 15 when I started with DarkBASIC (my first programming language). Then, I took a break from DarkBASIC and learned some VB, C, and C++. Just recently (last July), I have come back to DarkBASIC.

There are two main reasons to choose DB. 1. If you wanna make games, DB was created with video games in mind. 2. If you are a n00b, the syntax is very easy to pick up. DB is a good starting point/learning tool.

You could start out with DB to learn some programming concepts and then switch to VB sorta like what I did, but if you have no intention of making games and you only wanna do "practical" applications then you might as well just go straight to VB.

P.S. I'm not saying DB isn't good for stuff other than games (cuz it is), but VB is more geared toward Windows applications than DB is.

RMPVG (Real Men Play Video Games)
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2004 23:02
if youre gonna learn VB my advice would be go straight to VB.NET. You then have the added benefit of being able to use DirectX 9 from right within VB.

DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 DarkTOPIA site coming soon!
Dodo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2004 03:06
but if you want to learn DB then use the tutorials that you can find here

Part of solving the problem is actually noticing that the problem is there in the first place

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2004 03:47
I've got Visual Studio .NET but I can't get to grips with it.
DarkBASIC is a dead easy language, unlike C++!

Realms Of Tutopia: Rise Of Evil
http://www.freewebs.com/elbsoftware/index.htm

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 02:32:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 02:32:31