Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Which VIDEO GAME would you like to see turned into a MOVIE?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2004 10:54
Quote: "There already making Doom,Tekken, Spy Hunter... and they might make a Prince of Persia movie too, and you can't forget that they're making a Metroid movie too."

I'm an ubar metroid freak, and the fate of the metroid movie isn't known. The rights were bought, but there hasn't been any confirmation... also, I think the rights expired sometime this year.

Anyway, the only game i'd really like to see made into a movie is Metroid (the entire series would be cool-- like the next Star Wars!). Other than that, maybe UT2004, just for the massive violence.

Come to #coding. We promise we wont kick you!
DISCLAIMER: Promises may not actually be upheld.
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah, yeah there is.
They even picked an actress, noce more check filmforce.ign.com.

Got anime?I do.
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2004 13:44
Quote: "Manticore Night: Vince the Vet?... have you got a link for me?
"
Sry if I confused you but Vince is my game. I was just being odd, but here's a link anyway:http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=24314&b=11 That's the thread and here's the full game(of Vince 1 for the 20 liners)
http://www.freewebs.com/fleaware/vince.zip

This is a REALLY old version(2nd DB game), the new one's much better(blood stains and all). Have Fun!(hope this isn't hijacking the thread too much)

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2004 14:51
Metal Gear Solid, and maybe even the new one coming out on Nov. 1st called Snake Eater. That game reminds me a little bit of the movie Rambo.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2004 14:57
Doom is on it's 3rd version; personally i felt the original one we actually saw images of with Arnold back in '96 looked and sounded the most promising, just a shame it never actually was finished.

Final Fantasy movies// The Spirits Within the developers tried to capture the FF Story but put it into a scenario that the general public would accept.
What actually happened was the GP found it overly complex (because lets face it the real story is, and this was the kiddie overview of it) and fans themselves found it totally removed from the games.
Advent Children is based heavily around the popular VII story is is truely awesome, but again the GP aren't going to like it.
Both movies are very well done though and have great stories which could stand alone; but make more sense if you have one of the games under your belt. Shows the problem with trying to please everyone you end up failing.

Max Payne was truely B-Rated as a game, it was suppose to be that cheesy noir sense; but that fact seemed to have gone over alot of people heads. It's a very black sense of humour game and a film would just take that a step further. Unfortunately dark comedies never really do well.

Resident Evil// the first one was made to be stand alone. so that people who'd never played the game could get into the film and enjoy it. This said, it does actually tie heavily into the game story of the first two games. It isn't ment to be part of it but does tie into key facts. Alice for example is the woman who you read about in the diaries of Resident Evil. The second one ties in much closer with the 2nd and 3rd games; it is quite obviously trying to create a series of events similar to the games; but not to be tied in. So they're slightly different storylines and such.
Both are good films imo, not exactly the most brillant peices of work ever, but go to show that films based on games don't have to be god aweful.

Mario Bros... yup it's right up there with the teenage mutant ninja turtles film. Sooo a product of the early 90s heh.

Alot of movies from games aren't neccessarily bad because you can't make a good film from a game like the stigma says; they're bad because they're hollywood cash-in s' more often than not. About the only films i know which break this mould are the Lord of the Rings; but even then they're not as great as they're made out to be.

Hollywood generally kills films for profit.

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2004 15:09
I keep a list of games I would like to see as movies in my head:

Halo(the events in book: Fall of Reach)
FF7 or 8 (not disconnected visualisations or sequels, but an actual movie of the original)
Zelda(classic Hyrule)
KOTOR
Warcraft
Starcraft
Diablo
Command & Conquer (redalert95 plz)
Halflife

Hey Raven....wasn't Tomb Raider out before Resident Evil? Tomb Raider was easily appreciated, even my grandparents could follow it.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2004 17:30
zelda a link to the past. or alien vs predator..... oh, wait, they ruined that one.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2004 17:38
Ground Control 2

Come to the UK Convention on the 23rd & 24th of October
NathanF
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Advent Children is based heavily around the popular VII story is is truely awesome"

Yah, Kadaj being your avatar lol. I can't wait till this comes out, but I can see why most people won't like it.

-Formerly DarkSephiroth-
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2004 18:47
Quote: "There's a Mario Film!?"

Yeah, 'Super Mario Brothers', it was total crap. The Mario Bros travel to an 'alternate dimension' where they have to save the princess. The king was turned into some giant fungus type thing and there are these really huge guys with shrunken heads walking around. It's messed up.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2004 19:01
Quote: "but the live action one, lets just not go there"

Hey, who wants to stay here like little sissies, and who wants to come with me and go down that river and kick bison's arse so hard, the next bison wanna be is going to feel it! (points to large bicep.)

Quote: "Yeah, 'Super Mario Brothers', it was total crap"

say what? the mario bros movie was the bomb, sure it was nothing like the games, but do the dinosaur! come on man that's a champion song, and the boots that make you fly! john leguiziamo and dennis hopper! flaggart of ale!

jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2004 20:28
I'd like like to see System Shock 2 as a movie. On the book front i'd like to see the Shannara series turned into movies.

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2004 22:30
Quote: "Mario Bros... yup it's right up there with the teenage mutant ninja turtles film"

Hey the TMNT films (at least the very first one) weren't as bad as the Mario Bros. movie.

Quote: "zelda a link to the past"

Yup, that's like the only Zelda game i ever played and the story was pretty cool! I never did get the part where Link's father told him: "you must find princess Zelda for she is your... your... ". I guess that's because i never finnished the game. :p

Quote: "Hey, who wants to stay here like little sissies, and who wants to come with me and go down that river and kick bison's arse so hard, the next bison wanna be is going to feel it! (points to large bicep.)"

lol, the part that annoyed me the most about the Street Fighter movie was that Guile was the main focus and not Ryu and Ken. Ryu and Ken where business men (gun smugglers) for gods sake!

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2004 23:08
yeah well apparently akiro* (was that his name?) didnt teach them how to be good guys :/

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2004 04:04
Halflife...finaly a guy with glasses gets to be a hardass and no "ooh! look! I lost my specs and can`t see a thing/am helpless" rubbish, more power to badly shaven foureyed geeks (lol guess who I`m thinking of), other games that would make cool movies

UFO:enemy unknown
Gunman chronicles
Quake II
Unreal

Mentor.

PC1: P4 3ghz, 1gig mem, 3x160gig hd`s, Radeon 9800pro w cooler (3rd gfx card), 6 way speakers.
PC2: AMD 2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra, 16 bit SB.
Mini ATX cases suck.
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2004 04:51
UFO:enemy unknown (X-COM in the States) would be fun, but the general story takes too long to unfold. Perhaps if you take it from the perspective of a replacement soldier coming in at the end of the game. You might be better off with something like Bluebyte's Incubation. Lots of gore and aliens plus it has something of a plot that can be told over the course of a day/movie.
--
TAZ

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1
Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2004 08:20
I've had a look through some of my other games (I've probably got nearly 1000 games spread across more then 10 systems here) and I've found a few that definately could work if done right:

Panzer Dragoon - there was a PD animated film, but since it was only 30 minutes long it shouldn't been called a film, and every review slated it as being "worth less then the receipt you got when you bought it". The actual backing material for PD is incredible, the original language, the entire cultures that were created, there is so much potential to make a film like no other!

Shining Force - although a TV might be better since the stories for those games were HUGE, especially SF3!

Septerra Core - awful gameplay, but what I saw of the story had massive potential, I keep wanting to try and play through it to see what happens but it's such a struggle. Very unique setting and well established cultures and people give this one potential.

Freespace - as long as it doesn't end up like Wing Commander, this has a good chance of making something great.

Duke Nukem - take it along similar lines to Mad Max and this could be one freaky film!

Thief - it would be very difficult to make this work, but with the kind of setting and backing from the original 2 games it would be possible to make a good film from it.

On another line, take Worms and do it like the original Tom & Jerry cartoons, short, pointless episodes full of mindless cartoon violence, but add the Monty Python humour and it could be a winner!

Avan

I don't suffer from insanity:
I enjoy every minute of it!
DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
sphere on a matrix.

i still love you, judas
SCCOOBY DOO
Years of Service
User Offline
prince of persia, pretty cool story line.
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
They already have plans for PoP: The Sands of Time. They had plans to make a Duke Nukem Movie, but I think it died...
Now that I think of it I wouldn't mind seeing a viewtiful joe movie.
Or Devil May Cry.

Got anime?I do.
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2004 10:27 Edited at: 6th Oct 2004 11:12
I heard they got plans for a Blood Rayne movie starring that robot chick from terminator 3 but all i see is a mixture of underworld and blade with some matrix bullet time effects.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, they will be making a Bloodrayne movie too.

Got anime?I do.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2004 18:07
Coool...

Come to the UK Convention on the 23rd & 24th of October
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2004 03:08
Panzer Dragoon Saga would have made a cool game

Peace sells
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2004 03:19
Oh, good suggestions. Freespace and Thief too.

Thief especially. The first game had such a cinematic quality, it would work really, really well. Especially with the cliffhanger ending. Gotta love it.

"Did you just call my girlfriend a cow?"
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Many people will probably disagree but I think it would work well if it had an original story from the team at Bethsoft:
The Elder Scrolls: The Movie
Of course the movie part would be replaced with something, I don't know about you but I'd like to see it.

Got anime?I do.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2004 05:30
Daggerfall, ES II, is the best for a movie, I still think. It's got a long plot with the proper amount of Tamriel politics, a healthy serving of high fantasy dragons/interplanar travel/large-scale wars, mystery, murder... all the usual suspects. It wasn't very well realized in the game, but the story itself is quite good.

"Did you just call my girlfriend a cow?"
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2004 05:33
Dungeon Siege

UK Convention : 23/24th of October. Be there or be an UNE DODGY PLONKEN
Zone Chicken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2004 08:46
I heard along time ago they where going to do a dungeon siege film, that might have been canned though.
Castlevania would be my choice.
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2004 09:08
PONG! Staring Leonardo DiCaprio as player 1, and Hillary Duff as Player 2, and that guy who played super man as the ball.

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2004 21:10
The Commandos series (Behind Enemy Lines, destination Berlin etc) could make pretty cool movies. It has very interesting characters like; Jack the Green Beret, Duke the Sniper (my favourite), Thief, Diver, Sapper, Driver, Seductress, Dog and Spy. It's also based on popular historical events which could be made exciting if directed and produced by the right people.

I guess the most obvious choice for the Green Beret would be Arnold Schwartzeneger! (spelling?)

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2004 21:16
never! Green Beret is english is he not? but thats a good idea

:: Pulse Board Forums :: Want Gmail? Email me ::
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2004 23:35
lol well he could learn the englich accent... well... not really, he's still having difficulty with an american accent after all these years.

It's more likely that hollywood would develope the movie rather than some english production so you never know.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2004 00:05
i think any video game turned into a movie is a mess...

and any movie turned into a game is a mess (with very few exceptions)

"We make the worst games in the universe."

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2004 01:06
Mortal Kombat was a good film. MK II was not so good...

UK Convention : 23/24th of October. Be there or be an UNE DODGY PLONKEN
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2004 01:08
lol tron 2 wasnt that bad (only played the demo)

:: Pulse Board Forums :: Want Gmail? Email me ::
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " i think any video game turned into a movie is a mess...

and any movie turned into a game is a mess (with very few exceptions)"

I agree with you.
Video games need certain types of storylines.
Movies need diffrent types of storylines.

Hangman Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2004 09:57
Ya know, Chrono Trigger might be good as a movie, oh, or Golden Sun!

What's this bar here for? Ohhhh.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 18:35:54
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 18:35:54