Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Compatibility on WinXP,ME,2k,98 ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2004 01:26
Hello folks,

are my compiled programs compatible to run on

XP, ME, 2k and 98?

I tested a little program on ME, that I compiled on XP and it could not start, failing to load a DLL... my fault?

thanks,
P!

It's not my fault... http://www.url-services.de/
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2004 02:12
Make sure that the latest version of directx (9.0c) is installed. Also updating the graphics drivers won't hurt either.

it's cool to hate
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2004 03:53
DBpro works on all (although maybe not 95 - does that get the latest directx?)

In terms of spec and requirements - literally the same of any modern game.

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
pontifex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2004 04:02
yo, it was the directX version, thanks!

It's not my fault... http://www.url-services.de/
blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2004 04:56 Edited at: 5th Oct 2004 05:02
I think 95 support ended with DirectX 8... (which is new enough... for now)

98 support (and I think ME's support too) is gonna end (maybe) at DirectX 9 (current version).

However, Windows NT (NT 4 I'm talking about here, not 2000 or 2003 or xp) support ended with DirectX 5 I think!!!!!!

--NOTE-- Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003 and basically anything newer than ME are just improved versions of Windows NT. Windows 2000 is Windows NT 5.0, and Windows XP something like 5.4. I don't have 2003 --END NOTE--

(NOTE: ALL THE FOLLOWING CAN HAVE DIRECTX UPGRADED, IT'S JUST THESE ARE WHAT THEY COME WITH...)

I think Windows 95 is using grotty old DirectX 5
Windows 98 is 'shipped' with DirectX 6 (not new enough)
ME with DirectX 7/8 (i have a bad memory)
Windows 2000 has DirectX 6/7
Windows XP has DirectX 8/9

And, just to put a hell of a lot of icing on the Cake of Compatibility, DarkBasic requires the following DLLs (whether used by it itself or indirectly).
(If they have (S) next to them, it's a bog-standard Windows DLL. If it has a (C) next to it, it's a common DLL that You Probably Have even without DB. If it has a (D) next to it, it's a DirectX DLL).

ADVAPI32.DLL (S), COMCTL32.DLL (S), CRYPT32.DLL (S), D3DRM.DLL (D), D3DXOF.DLL (D), DCIMAN32.DLL (CANT REMEMBER), DDRAW.DLL (D), DINPUT.DLL (D), DPLAYX.DLL (D), GDI32.DLL (S), KERNEL32.DLL (S), MSACM32.DLL (S), MSASN1.DLL (S), MSVCRT.DLL (C), MSVFW32.DLL (S), NTDLL.DLL (WTF? (S)), OLE32.DLL (S), OLEAUT32.DLL (S), RPCRT4D.DLL (S), SHELL32.DLL (S), SHLWAPI.DLL (S), USER32.DLL (S), WININET.DLL (S), WINMM.DLL (S)

And there you have all the information to make a 99.99999% fool-proof installer. Hell, with that information and a copy of WINE, you could get it to run under LinuX!

Extra:
- What the hell is an MSASN1.DLL? Eh?
- Anything beginning with a 'D' is DirectX-related.
- What I think is Crap, is Crappy "Video For Windows" is being used here (MSVFW32.DLL). Also, rather than using DirectSound or DirectMusic's type libraries, MSACM32.DLL (Audio Codec Manager) is decoding the crap! Ye Olde Decode Lib!
- COMCAT32.DLL - What the hell is the Common Controls library doing in Dark Basic? I mean, does any of the controls in the IDE look Common????
- NTDLL.DLL - Why, is a Windows NT DLL sitting in a Windows 9x-compatible program? Oh well...
- D3DRM.DLL - Enough said. They used the DirectX 7-only simplified Direct3D library. Us DirectX 8+ programmers have to use Immediate Mode or Set cD3DObj = Nothing. Then again, I'm guessing Vertex Shaders and that were Designed for DarkBasic Pro....
- GDI32.DLL - Bog standard Drawing Library. This is probably only used for the Message Boxes! :p
- I need the toilet. List ends here.
'nuff said

[img src=http://blanky.pt-web.net/ddd.gif] >::p

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 02:23:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 02:23:55