Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / 2D or not 2D, that is the question...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2003 08:19
I am trying to figure out if I should have my game in 2D or 3D. Its going to be a fairly big multiplayer game, at least the max amount allowed on DarkBASIC. (255 for those who don't know the max amount)

So I am turning to the help of the community. The game is going to be fairly big. But pretty much done by a lone wolf developer. So its just me, myself, and I, working on it. Here's some points that are making me have a problem trying to figure out how to do this.

1) 3D would be nice because it appeals to the gamers more.

2) 2D isn't really any type of big time technology anymore.

3) 2D would be done by sprites and the game code would not be quite as big. Thus making the system requirements for the game more simple.

4) The player can chop down trees and use the wood to make
walls. Thus being able to create custom houses. Doing this would be a lot easier through an isometric view, and not doing this on an X, Y, and Z, axis through a view point of the player.

5) This kinda builds from #4 but a pro for 3D. the player could make more extravagent homes. Making walls higher, or making a few other things which the player can create to their liking and show their skills more.

Those are really the only major arguements that I could think of. I myself like the Isometric view of an RPG. But 3D does look a lot nicer and adds more to the game. I suppose I could make it 3D with only the two axes with an isometric view.

Any input on this would be greatly helpful.
-------------
I'm Batman....
Dark Neo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 00:06
If it looks better, codes better, and plays better in 2D, go for it! Look at Icewind Dale 2 for example. That's one great game.

When everyone around you is smiling, check if your flies are undone.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 08:04:25
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 08:04:25