Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Visual Basic.NET

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I was looking to get this but before I do are there any demos or free versions?

Thanks.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2004 12:21
I don't think there are trial versions, but if you're a student you can probably pick up a copy at a discounted price from school bookstores.

If that fails, you should check on the Microsoft site.

http://www.microsoft.com/

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2004 22:28 Edited at: 5th Oct 2004 22:28
MS has had some free promotions for VB.Net Standard in the past, I don't know if any of them are still going on. You might want to try googling for it. There is a C# command line compiler that you can also download if you want to go hard core with that.
--
TAZ

[edit for typos]

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2004 00:01
Download the .Net sdk and sharp develop http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/ apparently it works with vb as well as c#.

it's cool to hate
MikeyP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2004 00:43
SharpDevelop works with VB.Net yes, But sometimes trying to get others code can take a bit of logic, as you need to import the namespaces
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2004 02:12
Last I noticed was some magazines had disks with VB .NET 2005 Express or somesuch on it. Think it was free. Imagine it is something like the learning edition etc, so a bit limited with no licence to sell things.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2004 03:35
Quote: "Last I noticed was some magazines had disks with VB .NET 2005 Express or somesuch on it. Think it was free. Imagine it is something like the learning edition etc, so a bit limited with no licence to sell things. "

Yeah I installed it and gave it a go.

It's not good old VB6 style, it's much more main stream generic visual studio - but is has shiny toolbars which must count for something.

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
1tg46
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2004 05:21
goto http://academicsuperstore.com if you are a student of a college or a teacher you can get visual studio .NET pro for around $90 american. I plan on getting it as soon as I can give a teacher (that I know)the money to buy it for me.

1tg46 is my name coding is my game.
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2004 05:35
The academic stuff usually has a really restrictive license.
From that site
Quote: "Visual Studio.NET Academic is functionally identical to Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional 2003, but may only be used in an academic environment."

Proberly doesn't allow you to sell or even distribute things you produce with it either.

it's cool to hate
Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2004 08:01
Nope, from what i know you cant at all sell anything from academic software.. I actually got my copy of VB.net 2003 from microsoft for writing up a survey for them on their videos..

In any case, if you want to give a go at vb, i suggest trying out the vb.net 2005 express, it's not that bad at all.

WindowsXP Home(Service pack 2), Athlon XP 2400+(2.1Ghz), 1GIG Ram, Ati Radeon 9800Pro 128MB.
1tg46
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2004 08:50
Quote: "In any case, if you want to give a go at vb, i suggest trying out the vb.net 2005 express, it's not that bad at all."

I have a .NET account but when I tried to download the software on dial-up it downloaded quickly, the installer that is. Then I had to download the separate files for it, which I very quickly abandoned because I want to use the software on more than one computer. I tried getting the CD's of the Express beta but can not find the correct of doing it.

Quote: "Nope, from what i know you cant at all sell anything from academic software.. I actually got my copy of VB.net 2003 from microsoft for writing up a survey for them on their videos.."

How did you end up doing that?

Join the group
Pinball Wizard
Years of Service
User Offline
Man, is there any difference with the express and the standard edition?
1tg46
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2004 08:12
The express are betas of the full version, and have bugs, and are free, and are limited in some of the full functuality.

Join the group

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 18:26:13
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 18:26:13