Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Visible Worlds - Creating Worlds Competition

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2003 16:46 Edited at: 11th Jan 2023 13:01
Visible Worlds - Creating Worlds Competition
================================

To coincide with the launch of UnderwareDesign.com and release of Visible Worlds. We've decided to hold our first Dark Basic (classic) based competition. The objective is to create the most impressive roaming camera demo possible, via the utilization of a Visible Worlds portal system.

This demo could be in first or third person style ( RPG, FPS style). With the primary focus on creating a rich full environment. Added features like Actors, specials effects or collision are optionally..

Your world can be created from any world building tool you like or even by hand if you wish. You will need to create a VWmap file to represent your 3D world. in order for it to be compiled into a Portal. This process is left solely to your own devices, the core of the competition. So the tools or sources you use to create your world are left up to you. If you care to announce how you achieved your final result, that would be nice, but your not obligated to release such sources/tools via entering..

Submissions Requirements:
=========================

* World/Demo must be compilable with the DEMO version of Visible Worlds V1.05 (or higher) and Dark Basic v1.13

* Demo can be User Controlled or Free Roaming (Free roaming is recommended)

* Physical World Size should NOT exceed 25000x,20000y,25000z

* Total zipped entry should NOT exceed 4 megabytes.

* Entries are to be submitted in source form. For 2 reasons, Keeps the size down & others can example how you used the compiled map)... If you wish to include any development sources your encouraged, but not obligated too. Please don't submit code you don't want made public

* Entries must include the groups details (readme.txt), the VWMap map file, the compiled portal and any required media was compiled from.

* Entries can NOT use any copyrighted materials (textures/models/sound/text).

* One entry per person.

(Old compo stuff removed)

Visible Worlds Downloads:

Visible Worlds

PlayBASIC To HTML5/WEB - Convert PlayBASIC To Machine Code
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2003 13:45 Edited at: 11th Jan 2023 12:55
Visible Worlds V1.19 Update
========================

Have been putting the revised compiler through it's paces the last few days. Still have some cosmetic's and hot key stuff to add. Mainly to the preview world features. So the user can adjust the region sizing while they wonder or toggle on/off the showing vis region points.. It's a shame I can't draw the windows and update the 3d scene at once...

Well, that's about it really... Will try and get this version out in the next days or so.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2003 14:58
Sounds fun, I'll try and come up with something if I have time, well - I'm waiting for patch 4 anyway .

Van-B
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2003 03:41 Edited at: 11th Jan 2023 12:55
Visible Worlds V1.20 Released

This release see's the compiler and product turning into a powerful mature tool. I've invested a lot of work on core compilers functionality, it's speed and the overall application stability.

Those who entering our Visible Worlds competition, should not hesitate upgrading to this version. It features many compiler fixes over V1.05 and is generally a lot more user friendly.

Visible Worlds

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2003 03:43
Van:

Yeah, somehow I think this will be over before patch 4 sees the light of day..

Anyway, your welcome to have a go.. Make sure you use V1.20 though. V1.05 has too many problems

l8r,
Kevin Picone
[url]www.underwaredesign.com[/url]
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2003 02:17 Edited at: 11th Jan 2023 12:55
Visible Worlds V1.25 - Parent Regions
===============================

A while back "Empty" came up with a very cool idea for another feature Visible Worlds. The concept was a region that acts as container, a parent. These regions could be wrapped around sets of objects/box into smaller groups. The interesting thing is you can set the regions camera clipping depth, independent of the Vis camera's clipping depth.

These regions act as triggers and place some of run time responsibility back on your shoulders. The idea being that when a parent region is in view and beyond it's it's defined clipping distance, the Vis returns you with some information that you can act upon. While it falls inside it's camera distance it passes it's child object through the vis calculation process.

It might not sound too useful on the surface, but it'll allow us to get the impression of even higher details more complex worlds, without any real run time calculations.

Imagine this. If your building a city with lots of large buildings, and each building has and interior full of objects. To make the city look large we set the camera depth to say16,000. So we can see a lot of buildings in any scene at once. Now normally, if these buildings have any open windows / doors then Vis Worlds visibility rays will see inside/through these openings and build lists of all of the objects visible, regardless of how far away from the camera they are.

But, do we really need to even bother drawing the visible interiors of building that are way off in the distance ??.. Not really.. and hence Parent Regions..

If we wrap up the interior objects of each building within parent regions, and set their visible camera range to say %35 or %40 of the overall view depth. That means that it'll only bother calc'ing vis on the building interiors when the parent regions are close enough, and thus are likely to make some visual impact / importance to a scene. For those regions that fall outside (too far way), the user will be returned a list of these regions. You can then use a black plane (pre-positioned) to block out the windows say, or whatever takes your fancy... or just do nothing..

I had always wanted to support LIGHTS & Sounds, pretty much since the idea for his first started to evolve.. While were still working out the details on their implementation. These systems are less specific Less native DB and more generic. In the case of lighting for example, the compiler like just have very basic lighting understanding. You'll be expect to actually turn the lights on that the vis returns..

The best thing about lighting is that we can actually toggle the lights that effect the scene, rather than picking ones that are within range..

With any luck, we'll get the newer version out in a few days..

So anybody, making any progress on a compo entry ?

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2003 01:16 Edited at: 11th Jan 2023 12:56
Visible Worlds V1.25b - Parent Regions (cont.)
==========================================

Well, this has all gone together fairly easily. Parent regions are now parsed, and totally spliced through the compiler. With even some visual support thrown into Uw3D so we can see them before and after compile time..

What's missing is the DB replay library support and sadly the DOC's for these new regions. It's often harder/more time consuming writing the doc's than the actual code.. So another release is almost ready, but it's steadily moving forward and working !.

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2003 03:21 Edited at: 11th Jan 2023 12:56
Visible Worlds V1.26
==================

Well, it's been a long night here but work continues weeding out all the abnormal behavior in the app. If you are having problems compiling your own worlds/VWmap with V1.20, and you think there's a bug or you get crashes, please make sure you send any possible bug information to me. it's vitally important so I squash them ASAP...

Through the addition of Parent Regions, I've been able to discover a few rather subtle but deadly bugs in v1.20 also, so this hunting has occupied me for the bulk of the night/morning. As a result i'm yet to update the DB re-player libraries and document them. Understanding parent regions and their usefulness is quite a conceptual hurdle to overcome for the user..

Pictured bellow is a compiled map using a Parent Region definition. The region bound are shown as the RED alphaed box. The mini map shows what objects are clearly visible to the vis camera (top right hand corner)

Shot 1, You can see the camera is beyond the parent regions clipping distance to the camera, so thus the VIS returns a Parent Region event to the user (me in this case). In this case I've just displayed the regions box object... You could display whatever you like

Shot 2. The Camera is within a transitional range of the Parent Region in question, so thus it's contents (child objects) have vis calc'd upon them (the little table object) and the region is also returned as an event..

Shot 3. The Camera is now completely within the parent regions clipping distance. So the parent region is not needed to be returned.. It's just normal vis scene.

Here's what the Map actually looks like, the parent region can have any other region contained with it. Although you can't nest them...

Now, while is really not a very practical test, as the room housing the parent region has no front wall to obstruct most of the visibility. You be able to see how the previous house example would work. You would place all the objects you wish in the house. then place a Parent Region around this collection. If you set the regions clipping range really close, it's lower the object count dramatically. So when the vis returns the a list of Parent regions that are too far from the camera but are visible. You can place a black plains in the windows/door ways to help create the illusion of even higher details in your scenes..

Visible Worlds

(old dead RTG link removed)

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2003 00:44 Edited at: 11th Jan 2023 12:57
Visible Worlds V1.28 RELEASED

Today see's the release v1.28 of our portal compiling software visible worlds. This new version features many bug more fixes and a new powerful parent/child event region type.

For all regular users we highly recommend upgrading to this new version.

[url]VisWorlds.UnderwareDesign.com[/url]

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2003 00:45 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2011 15:47
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2003 00:09
Visible Worlds - Creating Worlds Competition
================================

Just A little reminder.. Only 8 Days left.......

l8r,
Kevin Picone
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2003 02:56
Only 1.5 days to go........

l8r,
Kevin Picone
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2003 08:11
TIMES UP
=========

Well, time is up.....

So could all those who are entering please get their Entries in Today.........

Cheers + Good Luck

l8r,
Kevin Picone
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2003 04:14
Visible Worlds Creating Worlds Results
======================================

I'd love to say it was hard choice picking a winner, but it wasn't. Nobody entered

Winner: Nobody

Runners Up: Nobody

Although, I'm not that surprised nobody bothered to enter, it is a little disappointing due to investment of time. It doesn't really fill me of confidence to write future DB app's. However, We will be giving away free copies of Visible Worlds + Other app's monthly on UW.com to those on the mailing list.

I hope to wrap up the final outstanding features over the next few weeks. Those Primarily being Visibility Triggers, Lights & Sounds support. I have been doing some work on a 2D & 3D sliding polygon collision engine for Db also.

While that needs cleaning up mainly, we might soon see DB produce a real quake clone.. Well, maybe.. If that's what floats your boat.

Anyway, back to my blocks...

l8r,
Kevin Picone
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2003 08:17
aww... poor Kev
you got a fully working editor yet, i've not had the time to check this out since 1.05 and the editor didn't seem to do alot back then.
i mean with no editor it would've been harder for peeps to enter if they wanted to

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2003 17:00 Edited at: 11th Jan 2023 12:58
I don't understand ?

For somebody who's apparently used / toyed with VW before, I can't imagine why you'd think it can edit scenes..

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2003 18:20
no i mean thats my point
if you want compile the worlds they've gotta be in a format that it understands, and as i understand it there is no editor to create and export in that format - with probably the exception of gameWorld, but i've not released.

i mean the format in raw form is like map, but its not exactly the same ... so people would've had to create the worlds by hand (i mean you have to treat some users as idiots) - so perhaps a simple editor would help out

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 08:08:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 08:08:23