Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Network woes

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2004 13:06 Edited at: 8th Oct 2004 13:07
Hi,

We got a wireless router for the home network recently, which was previously just a host/client network between two PCs. The router works great and it's future-proof too, even though all our adapters are currently 11mbps.

It works fine with the single new adapter we got for my bro's laptop, but I can't get my old adapter to work with the network, even though it should be completely compatible. It just refuses to detect the network at all. I'm not using any encryption. It's an Intel Anypoint USB wireless adapter, 11mbps, normal standards and it's supposed to be compatible with standard routers... thing is, it's not manufactured any more, so of course I can't get any support for it.

I've done the regular, completely uninstalled and reinstalled the adapter, tried their basic software and then Windows' own network feature (which was what I was using before)... no luck. It's very frustrating indeed. Since it's not the management program's fault, and the hardware should work, I can only assume it's something wrong with the device driver. Do you guys have any ideas as to what I can do short of buying a new adapter here?

"Did you just call my girlfriend a cow?"
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2004 18:26 Edited at: 8th Oct 2004 18:27
I presume the Intel is on the same frequency/band as all the others ?
And I presume your not blocking according to the ID number ?

UK Convention : 23/24th of October. Be there or be an UNE DODGY PLONKEN
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2004 01:28
Yes, yes

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2004 03:35
I believe thats the wireless router I upgraded to (had 11mbits before). Have you made sure the router setup is set to both 11 and 54? It can be set to use only one or the other.

Do you get internet at least? If so then is probably either a workgroup name thing (they all have to be the same) or a firewall problem (ie. allow access to all the IPs on the network or ditch the firewall, since the router has a hardware one built in).

The other problem I had was the channel it broadcasts on. One channel would work with my 11 devices, but not 54, and visa versa. Kept changing the channel until one worked for both types of devices. Note that one device didn't work until I unplugged my TV sender device that was clashing with it.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2004 05:22
Thanks Dazzag,

It actually supports both, but I've tried both and 11 settings. An odd thing I noticed was that the router says the workgroup name is case sensitive, but the Intel adapter software forces all caps. I'll be looking into that.

Cheers

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2004 11:28
Sinking below the front page... one final bump before I buy a new adapter .

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2004 18:09
Must admit I cant think of anything else.
Try a new adaptor - if it doesn't work you could get a refund and start looking at something else for the cause...

UK Convention : 23/24th of October. Be there or be an UNE DODGY PLONKEN
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2004 10:44
Alright, thanks anyhow .

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 20:28:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 20:28:32