Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / DB Won't Run - Blank Screen in WinXP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2004 06:03
Hi,

I've just bought Dark Basic which I have installed and applied the v1.13 patch. When I run DB from Start>Programs my screen goes black and then nothing! The monitor clicks as if it is changing resolution. I can task switch back into Windows but I can get no where with DB, Dark Matter or the Media Browser. Task manager reports the task as 'running'.

My System is :

Windows XP SP1
GeForce 4 MX 460
DirectX 9b
AMD 2500+
1Gb RAM

I haven't got a clue what could be wrong.

Any advice would be appreciated

www.matthawkins.co.uk
CrAzKiDd55
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2004 17:52
(nice RAM) .. well the problem maybe that when you start DBpro for some reason you load up a bit of code that runs automatically, or you didnt install direct X properly from the cd or just try restarting your computer and try installing Direct X again, or try going start>run then type in the location of the exe of DBpro instead of start>programs>....>...., or you could try getting a new graphics card, or maybe if you have an external graphics card make sure that it is not out of its place or anything.

hope that helps ..
MattH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2004 20:29
Thanks for the reply CrAzKiDd55.

I eventually solved the problem. It appeared to be related to the refresh rate my graphics card was using for 640x480. It was defaulting to 75Hz. Once I overrode the default and set it to 60Hz I could see the DB environment. I did this in the NVidia graphics driver utilities. For some reason my monitor didn't like 75Hz at that resolution . Hopefully this post will help out anyone else in a similar situation.

>> Nice RAM
You can never have enough

www.matthawkins.co.uk
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I here DBC doesn't work to well on XP, could be wrong though.

Got anime?I do.
bibz1st
Years of Service
User Offline
does that mean DB itself doesnt work properly on XP or that programs created in DB dont work properly?
what about using compatability mode?
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2004 07:26
Classic works fine on XP, I have both versions installed and DB Classic programs run ok under XP, don`t worry about it, you just get a lot of users who need to patch or update video drivers with classic, once they have installed the patch or drivers then everythings ok.

Mentor.

PC1: P4 3ghz, 1gig mem, 3x160gig hd`s, Radeon 9800pro w cooler (3rd gfx card), 6 way speakers.
PC2: AMD 2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra, 16 bit SB.
Mini ATX cases suck.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 02:34:45
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 02:34:45