Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / MUSIC to download or not to download?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2004 08:25
Hi all,
Sorry if there's been a thread about this before but here goes. Music, it's great to listen to but aint exactly the cheapest thing ever so if people can get it for free then they will. I'm sure your all familiar with kazaa, limewire etc etc but what do you think of them.
It's all very well saying that these bands have all the money they could want and it'd do them good to be like the rest of us but it's there money, they've earned it so is it right to take it off them, at the same time there's the odd couple of good folk that already put there own music up for free download on there sites which is very nice of them.
Ofcourse I'm one of those 1337 FR34K5 that happens to have downloaded music, not alot, less then 5 songs in fact, but I've done it and if I wasn't on 56k I may have done it alot more. Anyway, a few months ago I read an article in EDGE magazine that was talking about these file sharing things and how in America they aren't bothering arresting anyone from the company that makes the program in the first place, they're arresting the average Joes that sit at home and download the music, scary thoughts for all those who thought "they won't nick me, there's 1000's of people doing the same thing"
So what do you think, do these programs encourage money saving and sharing (well sharing for people that upload music instead of just downloading everone elses) or are they a menace to society(speeling?!?) a breeding ground for viruses and the sort of thing that annoing 1337 FR34K5 boast about using.
Your comments please.

Formely code2kill
To tell you the truth, I'm just glad I DON'T enjoy playng The Sims.
the play2kill fan club
Giles Papworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2004 08:37
There was a bit of a survey about file sharing and downloading. It appears that a lot of the download users just download 1 or 2 tracks from an album, listen to them, then if they like it they usually go out and buy the album.

However the people who download stupid amounts of music need to be sorted out i think. I know music and software is mentally priced but how would you feel if you spent all your creative time and effort on something (like a game for instance) started to sell it and then found out thousands of people are getting it for free?
Personally i would be, well (another word for angry here)!

I don't agree with arresting and prossecuting the users that just want to get a taste for the album before they buy it.

And they shouldn't arrest the people that make the programs anyway, that would be like saying, 'Oh look there are some under age drinkers over there, lets sue the alcahol company, it's their fault'. People still use Kazaa and things like that to legitimatly share their own files to the world!

Its not a bug, Its a feature

If we were meant to stay in this reality games would not exist!
soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2004 10:06
Quote: "And they shouldn't arrest the people that make the programs anyway, that would be like saying, 'Oh look there are some under age drinkers over there, lets sue the alcahol company, it's their fault'. People still use Kazaa and things like that to legitimatly share their own files to the world!"

An amazingly good point, I'm just angry I didn't think of it.

Formely code2kill
the play2kill fan club
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2004 10:31
...to an extent... but these people know full well that mp3s are illegaly being transferred over their networks, and they don't do anything about it. In fact, to be quite honest, I have seen in all my p2p browing no more than five legal mp3s on these networks. Morality of the issue aside, it would hardly hamper legal file sharing at all to just block mp3 transfers altogether. The creators and managers of the networks and software are not without blame.

"Did you just call my girlfriend a cow?"
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2004 17:40
Good thing it's not illegal to share music in Canada... *cracks knuckles* Don't have to worry about the RIAA breathing down our necks.

--[Gang Wars of New Canada]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2004 17:58
I have loads of downloaded songs, but every song i have downloaded i actually own the album an dpretty much all of the albums from that same band, is it fair that im caled a pirate or i get into trouble? i don't see that i've done anything wrong, infact how am I supposed to transfer music onto my ipod if i don't have the format, there are ripping programs but they cost a lot of money, so why nto be able to use a song that has already been ripped if i legitimately own it anyway, it's not like i never use the cd's again, i have a discman and a cd player, i just happen to use the mp3 format when im working on my computer or using my ipod when im out, (which sort of has replaced my discman. unless my brother decides to take the ipod.)

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2004 19:29
uhh.. ripping programs cost money? Haven't you ever heard of...

http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/

I use it to transfer all of my cds to the computer.

No plot? No problem! Come write with the worst of us!
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2004 20:17
well back in teh day that i was building my archives it costed money.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2004 20:37
that's true...

No plot? No problem! Come write with the worst of us!
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2004 01:41
I rarely copy entire CDs and give them away, mostly I just burn together a little mix and bring it over to my friend's house while we code or frag.
However, programs like Kazaa are something that society could do without. They enable you to download tons of music (or at least Kazaa used to let you), music that the author is not being paid for. It's like going to that one website mentioned in another thread and downloading all of TGC's DarkMatter models for free.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Indian Homie G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2004 01:44
I woildnt worry about getting caught, RIAA as of now is only going after people up who upload a LOT... so after u download a song TAKE IT OUTTA UR SHARED FOLDER! It's cheap but... oh well

AMD Athlon XP 3000+, S3 Deltachrome s8, 512 PC3200 RAM, 160 GB HD
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2004 01:56
Quote: "They enable you to download tons of music (or at least Kazaa used to let you), music that the author is not being paid for"

i used kazaa to download most fo my collection, but i had bought the cd's prior to that so technically they did get paid for that song. also kazaa can give the ability to download files or music that isnt available for purchase, wether it be not printed on another medium, or wether its so old it is out of circulation. I have a few songs like this, mostly old songs that you cant find on cd anymore (though my parents do own these cd's) But also i have a set of mp3s that arent for sale anywhere, faith no more did a free concert in a park in america, and i have that concert on mp3, is that illegal? im sure if i had of been able to go to that concert i woul dhave been able to tak ea camera with me, would it be illegal to have a video tape of that concert? i don't see why it would, so why would this other medium that contains just sound be illegal? of course if i went downloading songs willy nilly without owning the cd prior then that is illegal yes, but getting files off a file sharing program that you already own in a different format shouldnt be classed as illegal or wrong.

soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2004 04:40
Well,well, lo and behold there was an article in the paper about this very subject, here's a couple of quotes for you to ponder over......

"Music bosses are suing 28 people for illegally making ther own private collections available for downlaod on the internet"

"those who will face the music are major uploaders -people who readily share their collection with others - but has not ruled out targetting those who download music aswell."

"More than 350,000 people, most believed to be teenagers and students, have been sent messages on thier computers threataning court action if they don't stop file sharing."

Formely code2kill
the play2kill fan club
Indian Homie G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2004 05:22
Ha! What did I tell you! Just dont upload

AMD Athlon XP 3000+, S3 Deltachrome s8, 512 PC3200 RAM, 160 GB HD
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2004 05:37
Any of you in the USA can download songs legally from wal-mart for $.88 a song. Thats too expensive? I know they don't have some songs but they have most of the ones I want and will eventually have the others.

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2004 06:20
I own over 200 CD's, I have a 200 disc CD changer. Each of those CD's have costed me 16$ on an average (but for a about 2 1/2 years that mp3's really started it was 19-20 per CD).

Now, we add this total up, and we see a good portion of my money has been spent on CD's. Actually more has been spent on CD's by me, then Computer games, cause you can find deals and used computer games.

Now I do Download MP3s, for 1 reason. The Music companys are just money hoarding bastards. If more money was going to the artist, then i would buy more CD's.

The only CD's i really do buy anymore are Soundtracks, and that basiclly my intent on what i buy, unless it is a band i truly like such as The dead or clapton or somthing.

The onlything i can say is, music used to a be a cheap form of enjoyment, then c*cksucker music companys came along and f*cked it, and they dug their own hole.

AMD 64bit 3200+, Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro motherboard, 512meg HYPER RAM, ATI Radeon 9600XT 128mb, 120GB Maxtor 7200RPM, nFinity Version 2
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2004 11:08
Quote: "Any of you in the USA can download songs legally from wal-mart for $.88 a song"

ok forcing us non americans to become pirates seeing as we don't have services that give us songs for that cheap. (though i think telstra have a service like that i havent checked it out.) I still stand by my idea of if you have already bought the song on one medium, it is not illegal to have it on another medium, i mean for pete's sake if you buy a cd, you listen to it, then later on you remember the song in your head, THAT is another medium,but you are hardly gonna get swat teams busting into your house and scooping out your brain are you? so why is it bad that you have a backup mp3 version of your own cds?

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2004 13:42
It's not bad to have a backed up version on your own cd. They just get mad when you have a backed up version on your friend's cd.

lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 11th Oct 2004 01:53
right lets show some light on the uk side of things.

to buy a top name dance mixed cd. anywhere between 15-18 pounds.
to buy a artist album from 6-15 pounds.

one of the key things that disappoints me about the music industry is the lack of choice there is to buy in shops. (you could blame that on the shops)

i'm a dance/trance fan. im sure there are many others. i have 2 music shops in my town, hmv and virgin.

in virgin there's a fairly decent amount of dance/trance albums there, but not enough. there is like 4 shelfs, thats all.
in hmv decent size shop, near the back of the shop is dance, i find myself shocked to find only 2, yes 2 shelfs of dance/trance.

so lets say you could stick about 8 2cd albums on the shelf and 6 rows wide and 6 rows going down.

you work the maths.

now lets move to another genre, rock

hmv 3 lengths of the shop probably about 30-40 shelfs.
virgin only about 15-20 (only because it stocks a few more urban genre's)

to listen to new music, i have to resort to internet radio (e.g. ets-global.org) since, you've guessed it, new songs get released elsewhere before it comes out in the uk.

the top dj's for trance e.g. ferry corsten/paul van dyk/dj tiesto make rubbish albums. i looked at ferry's new euphoria album, it's got old and new songs on it, 99.9% of the songs i've heard before a few hundred times. so that albums is considered boring to me and not worth listening to, and the price? 15.99.

now here's the thing. trance needs the internet, a lot of dj's let the internet radio stations broadcast their live sets and shows. to let more people listen and hopefully get a few more cd sales.

one example:
armin van buuren's a state of trance show (2 hours every thursday) broadcasted on id-t radio in netherlands.
every now and then dj's come on and do guest mixes and some of the time advertise their new album.

some dj's are against broadcasting their shows/mixes/albums. but some prefer to do mixes like once every 2 weeks. because the more you plug yourself the more chance you'll get followers and maybe more cd sales.

so this is a great example of why the internet helps a genre of music, if the internet didnt follow trance, then you wont see as many albums and maybe radio stations will drop it from their shedules.

but anyway, the main reason why people get caught is they share key songs that the riaa search. it's not a question of sharing too much and where you share. kazaa,directconnect,winmx. the riaa are already on these places crawling to find offenders.

there is 2 things driving the internet p0rn and p2p. more bandwidth used means researching faster methods of internet connections. internet2 can transfer a dvd in like 4 seconds.

the riaa is fighting a losing battle imo. because the more they crack down on users the more they will fight. for example more secure p2p, encryped ip's? encrypted files? there's already programs in development.

end of the day comes to, do you want a lawsuit taken against you?

lagmaster - http://www.lagmaster.net was alive! http://www.dbforums.co.uk/ - was another db forum!

Dark Snippet Pro V9.2 is still out!! somewhere

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 20:14:48
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 20:14:48