Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / anyone with anime or manga in their forum name, this is for you.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2004 08:56
This thread I want to be about manga/anime transitions. How do think an anime show stacks up to it's manga predecessor? Is it better or worse? I'll start off with one of my favorites, One Piece, by Eiichiro Oda:

For those of you who don't know, One Piece takes place in the "Golden Age" of piracy. It focuses on the story of one boy, who has the misfortune of being named Monkey D. Luffy. A group of pirates uses his small village town as a base, and he admires them. One day, while he's trying to convince their captain Red-Haired Shanks to take him on his next voyage, he eats a fruit that gives him the power to stretch like rubber, but is unable to swim for the rest of his life. He still tries to become king of the pirates though, and the story branches off from there.

In the anime, which came out recently on the Fox Box, the plot is mostly the same. His younger life is told out in flashbacks instead of showing it to you at the beginning, but it mostly is the same plot, and a lot of the lines come from the manga. The art is similar to the manga as well, though if you're not a fan it might seem bad to you. The main problem is the voice acting, in which Luffy sounds like a seven year old. That's fine in the flashbacks when he is seven, but it just sounds wrong when he's a young adult. Well, it's by 4Kids, what could you expect? (4Kids made the Poke'mon and Yugi-oh tv shows)At least they didn't drasticly change the plot this time (Yami Yugi is actually evil in the manga, and in the poke'mon comics they actually bleed)So, read the manga first.

That's it, so post if you have something you want to say.

What's this bar here for? Ohhhh.
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2004 09:05
No, 4kids did not make it. They are only incharge of translating it. I hate One Peice though, thought it was kiddie in the first place.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Rurouni Kenshin, the anime killed the manga, NW did a great job brining it from novel to animation. FLCL, how come the anime killed the manga? It's not fair! The manga was very hard to understand, had to read each volum 10 times to get, anime on the other hand 2to3 times each.

There is only one way to package shaolin: Shaolin Soccer...
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
BTW, the FLCL manga isn't bad, it's one of the best I've read it just don't compare to the anime. Also another horrible manga, Yu Yu Hakusho, the anime is great but the mange , blegh...

There is only one way to package shaolin: Shaolin Soccer...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 20:25:54
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 20:25:54