Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / DOOP (Dark Basic Object Oriented Programming)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2004 15:24 Edited at: 19th Oct 2004 17:21
Well, here's a program I've been working on to fill in the holes. Many people have been requesting Object Oriented Programming in Dark Basic so I decided to do something about it. DOOP is a script language similar to C++ which emulates and translates OOP into Dark Basic Pro native code! And it does it seemlesly. Here's some info about it from my site:

Quote: "DOOP stands for Dark Basic Object Oriented Programming and is the first of its kind. Based off of a C++ style code syntax, be able to create rich and lively programs using the Dark Basic Pro engine with the added benefit of OOP and a C++ or Java like programming experience. REQUIRES: Dark Basic Professional and .NET Framework."

Note that DOOP is not for the faint of heart. It's syntax is very much similar to C++ and because of it may draw some of the Newbie programmers away from it, but due to its C++-like style, you end up typing less code to get more things done. And as I said before, it is completely seamless with DBP. Type native DOOP code, click on Execute, and after a quick build you will be testing your program!
Here's a link to my projects page where you can download it.

Download DOOP Public BETA here: http://www.wendigosoft.com/projects.html

Be sure to check the readme.txt file if you have any problems or questions. Hope you enjoy!

NOTE: DOOP is very much still in BETA and will probably continue to be for quite a while, but I plan on posting enhancements and fixes regularly.

Home of DOOP, Strata Works, and Height
The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2004 15:56
Oh yeah, one other thing, if a blank page scares you when you first load up the program, go to open and select the "projects" folder and then select one of the two projects. They are very simple right now, but the definition is very young right now. Hopefully I'll have an update soon for that.

Current Projects: Verious things right now. Lots of utils for game making. Hopefully something solid soon.

http://www.geocities.com/djpeterson83
PowerSoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2004 16:18
Finally. someone has stopped the moaning and done something about it

Create? Play? YOU Decide
The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 07:39 Edited at: 17th Oct 2004 07:42
Thanks Powersoft. That's the whole purpose was to get something done about it. Whining gets nowhere doesn't it . Anyways, for those of you who don't know where to get the .NET framework, its at microsoft's website. Here is a direct link to the framework:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=262d25e3-f589-4842-8157-034d1e7cf3a3&displaylang=en

NOTE: it's a big file (23 Megs), but well worth downloading as you will be able to run any program made with VB.NET, C#, C++ .NET, or any other language built of the framework. .NET is getting pretty popular too. I am not sure but I think the .NET FW comes with DX 9.0c

Current Projects: Verious things right now. Lots of utils for game making. Hopefully something solid soon.

http://www.geocities.com/djpeterson83
The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 17:23 Edited at: 17th Oct 2004 17:25
New upload, same link. I fixed some bugs (although some still linger. keep tabs on file type conversions). I also added some new functionality to the translator.

-File types BYTE, WORD, and DWORD are now available (as some DBP functions return them).

-The IDE now properly catagorizes the classes and functions, though more work is to be done.

-You can now create native functions, however there is no documentation on them right now and if you aren't careful you can mess things up a tad as they don't work exactly the same as other functions. Their purpose is to keep the file size down and are mainly to be used in headers such as the Dark Basic Pro language definition file. They are great for streamlining the code.

-Constants also function entirely now. You used to be able to declare them but not call them, now you can do both. I'm not sure I wrote documentation on them. Here's a quick show for them:

Pretty simple!

-Bugs have been squashed including those allowing you to put functions and class inside of other functions and classes.

-There's a status bar with info, and a feature which allows you to translate the code only and see what it looks like after it is ready for DBP use. Ofcourse, you can simply press Execute to skip all that and just enjoy your game, but it can be really handy for debugging once youre code hits the DBP compiler (and the error messages are no longer DOOP). I will hopefully be adding line numbers and the like to help out with that.

-If you create a new document (not a new template) the function 'main' is pre-written for you to speed up work time a tad.

-More to come!

Please give me all the feadback you can. I would greatly love to see DOOP become a community effort. After I am comfortable with DOOP, I plan on releasing the IDE code and maybe even the Translator's code so everyone can throw their two cents in. Tell me whatcha think !

Finally, object oriented programming using Dark Basic with a new C++ style translator - DOOP. You can get it here for free (BETA):
http://www.geocities.com/djpeterson83/projects.html
adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 20:59
This sounds *very* interesting. It's like C, only twice as productive I'm downloading now to take a look!

I think the taxis are bulletproof
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 21:46
I have to say this looks very promising, I might rewrite one of my own projects in this if I get the time, just to see how it handles

AMD Athlon XP2800+
GeForce FX5200 128MB
1.25GB DDR 333MHz RAM
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 22:03
I like the idea of the project, but it seems that DOOP won't work if you have DarkBASIC Pro installed in a location other than the default.

On my PC DBP is stored in:

C:\Program Files\Programming\DBPro

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
Mussi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2004 03:19
I had this sort of idea too, but not exactly like this, but this is a good idea too, good job

Specs: AMD Athlon 1800+, 256 DDRRam 266mhz, 80GB HD 7200rmp U133, Geforce4 Ti4400 128mb
The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2004 09:30
Thanks for the feed back, guys.

@RobK:

DOOP uses the windows registry to find where DBP was installed so if you just simply copied it over, it will not work. I hope to fix this by adding a file and option where you can specify where Dark Basic is on your system.

================================================================
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT DOOP AND OTHER WENDIGOSOFT PROJECTS
================================================================

Wendigosoft has moved. I've traded in my old Geocities account for a real life domain name from Canaca. You can now visit WendigSoft at [href]www.wendigosoft.com[/href] where I will finally be posting the BETA LITE (and full version with key) or Strata Works, plus soon after Height BETA. Links in posts should be updated soon, however, do not follow the links in my sig as until after this post. This part will be posted in all WendigoSoft WIP posts.

Finally, object oriented programming using Dark Basic with a new C++ style translator - DOOP. You can get it here for free (BETA):
http://www.geocities.com/djpeterson83/projects.html
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2004 04:54
BTW i think you should call it "Inc DB"..instead of DOOP...

(C++...Inc DB... )

"We make the worst games in the universe."

The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2004 09:03
LOL, I was toying with the names "Dark Java" and "Dark C++" (the former having more of a ring than the latter), but for now it will be DOOP.

Bulleyes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2004 12:40
Great job! I like OOP and this will definitely help me (and a lot of people out there) in the development.

However, I do think that the power of OOP lies in the ability of designing your own objects to abstract real world objects. As far as I can see from now, DOOP is just encapsulating all the DBpro commands. I couldn't create my own classes and instantiate, etc. (Tell me if I am wrong.)

Anyway, great job!

Thomas Cheah (Technical Director)
Bad Nose Entertainment - Where games are forged from the flames of talent and passion.
http://www.badnose.com/
The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2004 16:20 Edited at: 19th Oct 2004 17:20
Actually you very much can create your own classes! . That was one of the big things I wanted with DOOP. You are right as far as the language definition file goes: currently it is a wrapper of DBP commands, but you are not limmited at all to the classes in the definition file. If you happened to see a post I made a while back ago I explained the first DOOP as being just a wrapper, but that was 3 rewrites ago and now that is no longer the case. Consider this code:

Though simple, this will create a custom class called cMyDog. cMyDog, like a type, has data members Name and Age. Unlike a Type, however, it also has member functions Bark() and ShowAge() associated with it. Therefore, it is more a class than a type because it can carry out actions. Currently and unfortunetley for now, DOOP does not support inherritance which would give it massive power, however I have been toying with some ideas for implementing a form of inheritance, but that might not be for a bit.

@Everyone:
New Beta uploaded. This Beta has some major fixes specifically to type casting and conversions. It has an intellegent conversion checker now. For more info, check the revisions.

@RobK:
The new beta has a setting dialog box where you can manually change the Dark Basic Pro settings if your setting do not match the registry's. I hope that solves your problem: respond if it doesn't.

Great Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Will I be able to do this
static void method(blah)
or something like this
final public static int method(blah){}
When your done with it. Just wondering.

Are you a leader or follower.
The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2004 18:16
the static keyword is something DBP doesn't support. Whether or not DOOP will end up supporting this is unknown. Public and Private are anothe couple of keywords I would also like to see in DOOP. For now the best I can say is if these are implemented, it probably won't be for a while. Until then, like you might in DBP, you could use global variables to get around the STATIC problem and all members are currently public.

Lynx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2004 11:28
This is fantastic . I myself program better in C++, and this will greatly boost my programming experience. Great job, keep up the good work .

You never know what's in your closet until you take a look.
The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2004 11:18 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2004 11:18
There's a new DOOP Revision.4 available and there are a couple of really great features now. First off, the masses spoke and decided that case-sensitivity was a bad idea so it has been overcome. Now all DOOP code is case-insensitive. And the second major change: functions can now be overloaded! I figure this will be really handy for keeping things more consistent cuz now instead of wondering if that keyword you needed was GetWidth(), Width(), or SetWidth(), they can now all just be Width() and depending on how you call it will be what it does. Example:

Do note that if you run this code that x will end up equalling zero because there still is that ByRef problem that needs to be worked out, but otherwise that is fully functional code.

Other modifications to DOOP are a revamped help file, and numerous bug squashes (including class objects within class objects). Though, these bugs are supposedly squashed, do let me know if I missed something. Some of this code is hard to fully test.

@Lynx:
I hope you enjoy the new features as well!

Indian Homie G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2004 12:29
You doop-head. Very nice! I'll have to try this.

AMD Athlon XP 3000+, S3 Deltachrome s8, 512 PC3200 RAM, 160 GB HD
Lynx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2004 14:24 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2004 14:25
That is very similar to C++. Is this going to be your own compiler, not needing DBP or anything else to run?

The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2004 14:48
No, DOOP very much relies on DBP for various reasons. One major reason is I would be hard pressed to write my own engine that is just as good or better. Basically, the goal of DOOP is to add kind of an alternate language with more features than the boxed language. What it does is takes DOOP code, and translates it into Dark Basic code. Then it runs the compiler, and if you hit execute, plays your program. All of this is done transparently so that you can focus on writing and testing your program instead of having to tweak all the steps in-between. The other major reason for having DOOP be reliant on DBP's compiler is that there are so many plugs and things going on in the community, it would be nice if DOOP could support them all. This can be the case for all the language extensions as all that would have to be done to support them is create a .dh header file as a wrapper for all the new language commands. Then you would simply include the .dh in your DOOP project and be ready for action. I hope to communicate with many of the big Plugin writers of the DBP community and see if I can get enough info on each of their plugs (simply a list of the function names with parameters and return types) and write .dh files to make DOOP compatible with big-name DBP plugs. The smaller plugins wouldn't be hard for an individual to write themselves, I'm sure.

Lynx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2004 15:26
Quote: "What it does is takes DOOP code, and translates it into Dark Basic code."

F*cking awesome! (Excuse my french)

I have a question though, can you copy C++ code and paste into DOOP and it would run? Or would I have to tweak it a lot? I know i'd have to tweak it some (take out the includes and stuff), but you know what I mean .

The timing for DOOP couldn't be perfect (even though it is still in early stages), I just bought DBP today, it should get to my house in a couple of days.

I'm really looking forward to DOOP because I have an engine written out in C++ for a game I've been wanting to make.

Great job

The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2004 19:26 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2004 19:29
Other than the obvious, there are some differences between C++ and DOOP. Off the top of my head these:

-currently there is no ++ or -- operation (but that should get fixed). There is += and -= (I think on -=), however. *= and /= should be edited in there soon too.

-There's no support (yet) for inline class functions so you will have to use the scope resolution operator (: followed by your function outside the class. ie:

-In the above code you may have noticed something about adding functions. To C++ standards, it's backwards.

Depending on community response, this may stay the same. I have it like that cuz it makes it easier to see which functions belong to different classes. Just made more sense to me.

-Inheritance is currently non-existant (looking into adding it though)

-Full polymorphism will never be existent as far as I can see (ie. late bound function calls). This is a runtime issue and since DOOP translates before it compiles or runs DBP code this is a VERY daunting challenge that might just be beyond me. However, for the sake of inherritance, there will be as much polymorphism as I can muster (ie. early bound function calls).

Other than that, I believe that DOOP and C++ code a very very similar (come to think of it the Do Loop is very much like DBP in that there are no expressions passed).

Lynx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2004 16:05
It's been a few days, any important updates?

On another side, I'm still waiting for DBP...

The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2004 16:28
lol, well, one major snag has occured, but there is a bright lining on this dark cloud if I can get past it. The snag is some strange syntax error keeps popping up all of a sudden. Dunno why. It really bugs, but once I get past that and everything works, there will probably be array support (initially probably only single dimmensional arrays and classes won't be supported yet ). I've also worked on the definition file some more so there are some new DBP implementations. Unfortunetely, I've been very tied up recently and as such, I can't really do too much until next week (maybe even after that).

Lynx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2004 10:39
Hey,

I tried out doop, but I keep getting an error that says "missing semi-colon". This is weird because of two reasons:
1. The semi-colon is there.
2. I never forget semi-colons.

So.. umm, I was wondering, if you could tell me what I'm doing wrong..

The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 05:30
Sorry for the long reply. I need to say before I say anything else that due to weather it appears that my ISP is having one heck of a time with internet reliability. Chances are strong I won't be able to reply again for another week or so, and no, I'm not happy about it either, but my hands are tied. Sorry.

Second off, Lynx, one problem I've noticed with DOOP so far is it has a knack for giving errors that it shouldn't really be giving. I'm looking into this right now and have found and fixed a few. If you could post your code I could give debugging it a shot. Also, provided the internet stays on long enough this time, I hope to put up another DOOP download which may fix some issues plus add some new functionality including an overhauled IDE (much more professional, but not nearly finished) and arrays (one dimmensional only right now).

The language definitions have been split up into multiple files so you can exclude things you don't want DOOP to take into consideration, such as writing a 2D game, basic 3D can be ignored. It doesn't look like the classes or structure has changed much since the posted revision so code changes should be minimal. I think you all will like the new IDE, though. It's what I'm most excited about. There is now syntax highlighting and if you create a class object and then attempt to call a member using the "." operator, a list will pop up containing all the data inside that object. It is also smart enough to finish syntax intuitively. If you press a symbol (such as space or paranthesis) it will finish the word for you. You can also double click the item you wish to use.

Well, off I go to finish the update and post it. Have fun DOOPing and sorry for any inconveniences!

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 06:02
Far too much like C++ imo, nothing against it...
just this isn't really an OO DarkBasic, more like C++ Scripting wrapping into the DBP engine.

it's interesting though.

The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 06:35 Edited at: 10th Nov 2004 11:26
I was aiming the way Java might have, except with a bit more of a C++ flavor. I prefer C++ syntax as it is much faster than the BASIC syntax. I hate writing "NEXT" and "END IF". Just seems quicker to type a "}". The aim of DOOP is also for a more intermediate programmer or maybe someone who would like to begin learning C++ as well since it is a better method for game writing, but are intimidated by the language. DOOP give fast results since it utilizes DBP's compiler perks.

[Edit]
How is this not an OO language? Technically (due to the fact there is no support for late binding) it is an Object Based language, but since true polymorphism will probably never be put into anything Dark Basic, I decided too use OOP anyways. BTW, I'm not writing it in C++.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 05:35
Quote: "2. I never forget semi-colons."

everyone forgets a semi-colon sometimes.

"eureka" - Archimedes
The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 05:45 Edited at: 11th Nov 2004 06:35
Good stuff! There's a new DOOP and the IDE is almost 100% revised! For those of you who didn't want to use DOOP because the IDE was junky, that isn't the case anymore.

New IDE Features:
*Some bug fixes and revamps
*Color scripting
*Intelli-Sense: Shows object members and function declarations (even overloads)
*Console window shows errors now.
*Project files and multi-documents!
*Errors can take you right to the source file and line in that source (unless it is a hidden-from-IDE file such as a header).
*Basic Documentation on how to use some of the new features

IDE Features to come:
*Shutting of certain elements such as intelli-sense for those of you who might hate it .

New DOOP Features:
*Can now create arrays out of variables and objects
*Split up the DarkBasicPro.dh into many smaller ones. It's more flexible now.

DOOP Features to come:
*Don't get your hopes up, but I'm prototyping a system which may fix the This operator as well as allow member arrays to call their member functions. [EDIT] Never mind, it didn't work.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 05:57
Quote: "How is this not an OO language? Technically (due to the fact there is no support for late binding) it is an Object Based language, but since true polymorphism will probably never be put into anything Dark Basic, I decided too use OOP anyways. BTW, I'm not writing it in C++."

because

or maybe

would be Object Orientated Dark Basic

The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 06:56
I see what you mean now. The language has completely changed, and as such, it really isn't Dark Basic anymore. True true, I've been toying with the idea of renaming it to Dark++. I think it would be more descriptive. The biggest thing is I want to keep "Dark" in there as it very much relies on Dark Basic to function.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 07:08
Yeah, i dunno though... really this is going to be pretty obsolete when the DarkSDK is released.

As it'll give C/C++ direct access to dbp's engine. So you might want to think about changing it, or atleast releasing an altered version for those of us who'd prefer a DBP Style.

Monster
Years of Service
User Offline
Excellent work!!!!! I like this!!!!!!
The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 18:40
Thanks Monster .

Dark SDK? Honestly, I'd be suprised if they released that freely. When's it coming out?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 19:50
It is likely to be released free of charge, but with a License Scheme. So you'll be able to freely download, and utilise it. If you wish to create anything (i.e. not a Third Party Command) non-DBP related to make money it will likely have a surcharge.

This said I really can't about it, would be better off asking Rick.
I believe there is more information in the up comming newletter.

All DarkSDK aside, there is also IanM's Interface. Programming in C++ is pretty much free if you download the interface, and trial version of DBP. MingW also has a very good free Development Editor.

Personally I would prefer Dark++ to be more DarkBASIC in style.

The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2004 12:58 Edited at: 13th Nov 2004 08:31
Oops! I made a mistake when doing the SaveProject() routine. I wrote it like this:

OpenDialog
SaveProject
SaveAllSource

Bit of an error there as if the sources are untitled, the project handles become invalid. I have rewritten it like this and posted an update:

OpenDialog
SaveAllSource
SaveProject

Don't worry if your project came up blank. You DID NOT lose your source! It has been saved. To get it back, redownload DOOP and then right click in the file browser. Goto Add Existing Source and you can select it back in. Just remove bad sources (Right click on the File Browser and Remove File) from the project and you should be good to go! Sorry bout that!

[EDIT]
I will keep editing this post if there are any more emergency uploads. All uploads are the same link

Emergency upload 11-12-04. Fix in Intelli-sense crashes. Also comes with File.dh as an added benefit (deals with all file system).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 02:34:08
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 02:34:08