Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Other computers can't find my computer's hosted multiplayer session.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I followed the multiplayer tuturial that came out with the latest newsletter, everything works fine in coding but in practice my friend can't connect to my hosted session.
I've tried with and without my router, and even with a static ip.
It would probably work with my firewall off but i don't want to do that because i know you can forward ports or something like that. Does Darkbasic use a specific port? How can i host a game on the internet without taking off my firewall? and how should i handle the ip? should I not use a router?

All things are possible the impossible just takes longer.
Dan Brown
Digital Fortress
100% Pure Dave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2004 12:13
There are tools available that allow u to view what applications are using which specific ports on the web (ip tools is one such program)

Also have u checked if you can actually act as a server with your internet provider? This might sound weird but i have experienced this problem before. My last ISP would not allow me to act as server (i worked it out by running ftp software and no one could connect to me) after i switched isp there were no problems not only could i run my multiplayer code and have my guinea pigs errr i mean friends connect but my ftp would work too.

so i suggest testing out with an ftp server app and see if ya friend can connect to that. if he cant then try turing off firewall etc for a short time to just take that out of the equation if u still have no joy then i would suggest switching isp.

Chunkie Lover
Years of Service
User Offline
that might be it. I will try the ftp thing as a test. My guinea pigs are so frustrated with me right now.

Earthlink is my isp. if it's impossible then I have access to another computer that uses a Satellite connection.If you don't mind me asking which ISP did you have?/switch to? dave.

My real name is David btw.

Dan Brown
Digital Fortress
100% Pure Dave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2004 11:56
I was using IT Connect when i noticed the problem. Since I switched to Dodo the problem went away.

Yesh Dave is a good name, it's toit, toit loik a toiger! yesh yesh

Chunkie Lover
Years of Service
User Offline
I have smartFTP and still haven't figured out how to host yet.
Something interesting happened, i turned off my firewall then ran two applications of the chat program and they couldn't find eachother! They could when they were behind the firewall....
I hope this doesn't mean i cant host but it probably does.

PS: does Darkbasic have a specific port that it uses for TCP/IP connections? or does it search for available ports?

Dan Brown
Digital Fortress
100% Pure Dave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2004 11:42
it's been a while since i have used the multiplayer commands, but if memory serves me correctly the ports used were around about 3990-4990.

but dont quote me on that

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 03:18:30
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 03:18:30