Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Can you host a Shoutcast server? A TGC Radio Show?

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2004 01:59
Ok, help me out with this... I have been throwing around the idea of doing a weekly radio show, via shoutcast DSP/Winamp technology. My radio show, which would be Live hosted by me would contain music, talk, etc... But then I thought why not extend this and maybe do something thats DBP/TGC oriented for this programming community?

First idea was move the irc Question & Answer sessions that we have every so often, to a live audio format via shoutcast. We could use Skype to queue up the callers, as well as have the TGC members live on the air. So instead of reading the QA session it would be heard as a live radio broadcast. Sound interesting? (I have technical alternatives if that scenario is not feasible) I am still working on the technical aspects of this - and my show will begin airing at some point regardless since its just join-and-listen, but I wanted to see if any of you find this interesting. All you would need to hear the shows is Winamp (free), The shoutcast DSP plugin v 1.8.2b(free) and Skype (to call in - also free).

The main issue is that I am looking for a decent server to host the shoutcast portion (Shoutcast Server app - free) for one or both of the shows. Anyone have a server to do the job? I was thinking of doing my show once weekly (maybe saturdays) and the TGC thing could be less frequently like once every few weeks (as far as an organized QA thing) Although we could make the tgc show also once weekly, for just TGC news, updates, programmer interviews, adverting your apps etc. (possibilities are endless)

Well like I said a server is first and foremost or none of this will happen. Anyone interested and willing to provide the server please post here. We can try initial tests as soon as the shoutcast stuff is up and running I am ready to stream to you (we can discuss further via email to exchange server info/credentials etc, don't post that stuff here )

I look forward to your ideas and comments.
Thanks - CR

PS - Those of you thinking "Isnt he working on DarkTOPIA, wont this cut into that time ?" The answer is no. I used to do a radio show a few years back and have all of the equiptment and media pretty much in place, would just need to set up a couple of things and do some tests. Once that was done the show (my show) would require little prep time. TGC based shows would be more community driven so again very little prep time content-wise. DT wont suffer for this project.

DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 DarkTOPIA site coming soon!
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Good idea. I'd listen.

There is only one way to package shaolin: Shaolin Soccer...
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
nice idea

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2004 03:26
Thanks. Anyone got a server?

Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
me- soon... im gonna do some sponsored events (ie some of my stations dj's are gonna do a 24 hour radio show each etc) to get money for the new server

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2004 05:12
is there anything I can do to help you raise the cash for the server?

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2004 08:46
Aren't you working on DarkTOPIA? ..........just messin

That's a nifty idea. Hey...say you play songs that TGC members have made, like if Grim Reaper Productions or anybody else with good music would want any of their songs played.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2004 09:20
CR - You, Eric, Mnem and I already confirmed my connection isn't suitable for hosting a show.

All I can say is to buy a server. I think I saw a host that sold shoutcast servers with like a $1 setup, and depending on your bitrate & # of listeners, a nominal fee.

Come to #coding. We promise we wont kick you!
DISCLAIMER: Promises may not actually be upheld.
Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2004 10:27 Edited at: 20th Oct 2004 10:29
I think it's a very good idea, I've got my own shoutcast server i monitor while i'm online.. It's only on when i'm online though.

http://24.79.138.112:8000

Not sure how quick it is with many connections, i have it running at 128kb/s.

[edit] I imagine Cattle would be pretty reasonable, and if the song is good, (maybe swearless), you might get a chance to get something in there.

WindowsXP Home(Service pack 2), Athlon XP 2400+(2.1Ghz), 1GIG Ram, Ati Radeon 9800Pro 128MB.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2004 10:35 Edited at: 20th Oct 2004 10:38
Yeah, during the TGC show it would be all about the community! That would be cool: peoples game announcements, their music, and they could even prerecord their own commercials if they like. Maybe Rich D. could chime in on this thread and let me know if TGC would wanna host something like this? Remember, it wouldnt be 24/7 it'd be scheduled with no more than 2 total shows scheduled in one week. Since you have the bandwidth already it wouldnt cost anyone anything, to host or to join and listen.

(me crosses fingers)

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2004 10:50
there'd prolly be too many legalities with it..

but if you were to do it, you would need a *giant* amount of bandwidth to host more than a dozen people at once...

760k/s to host 20 people at 38k/s bitrate..

for decent listening..
1120k/s to host 20 people at 56k

No plot? No problem! Come write with the worst of us!
Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2004 11:29
I'd assume TGC has a pretty decent amount of bandwidth. My home(the cpu i'm on) computer uses a 5mb dowload/1mb upload line.

TGC know how to maintenance their bandwidth very well, i'm sure this could be accomplished.

WindowsXP Home(Service pack 2), Athlon XP 2400+(2.1Ghz), 1GIG Ram, Ati Radeon 9800Pro 128MB.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2004 13:23
CR - This is a GREAT idea! It would be very cool to have our own streaming radio show Unfortunately my server is remote and prepackaged so I highly doubt I'd be able to host such a beast. I'll keep my ears open though.

--[Gang Wars of New Canada]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2004 13:53
ok, thanks.
Anyone wanting server info visit http://www.shoutcast.com and read up on setting up the Shoutcast DNAS application. Like I said before this is all free, we just need teh bandwidth.

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2004 14:00
This sounds like an excellent idea, CR! The hosting provider for my website claims I have unlimited bandwith and webspace. I guess we could see how far "unlimited" goes. Personally, I think the best idea is to have TGC host it. That would rock.

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2004 16:08
off topic, had to ask: Hyrichter, what host are you using?

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2004 16:52
I'm using Mideem.com. But I just looked at their terms of service and they say "no streaming media allowed."

Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
cr i found out why u couldnt connect, irc/skype me and ill tell u how to cxonnect to mine

EddieB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2004 04:16
I think it would be better that reading it all the time.

200GB HARD DRIVE 1GB RAM 256MB GRAPHICS CARD
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2004 06:04
I have a small Linux server.... It's nice on space... always connected through my cable modem... But I'm not sure it's what you want.....

I also have an ccount hosted at 1&1.com..... But it's not really mine, I'm just the webmaster....

So.. Mm.. Pffft

Well.... Anyways, sounds like a nice idea! I'll call in and chat about cats.... Be sure to have a cat roundtable at least once... Ya gotta have fun!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 20:25:45
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 20:25:45