Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / The Tao of Programming

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2004 06:03 Edited at: 20th Oct 2004 06:03
Without a doubt, the funnyist thing I have ever read! A must read for programmers everywhere.

http://www.schedler.org/cookie/the-tao-of-programming.html

Some of my favorites:
Quote: "
A master was explaining the nature of the Tao to one of his novices, "The Tao is embodied in all software -- regardless of how insignificant," said the master.

"Is the Tao in a hand-held calculator?" asked the novice.

"It is," came the reply.

"Is the Tao in a video game?" continued the novice.

"It is even in a video game," said the master.

"And is the Tao in the DOS for a personal computer?"

The master coughed and shifted his position slightly. "The lesson is over for today," he said.
"

A program should follow the Law of Least Astonishment. What is this law? It is simply that the program should always respond to the user in the way that astonishes him least.
"

The Tao gave birth to machine language. Machine language gave birth to the assembler.

The assembler gave birth to the compiler. Now there are ten thousand languages.

Each language has its purpose, however humble. Each language expresses the Yin and Yang of software. Each language has its place within the Tao.

But do not program in COBOL if you can avoid it
"

Cheers,
Hawkeye

Ain't I teh kwel and l337 one?
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2004 06:22
This is really Really pre-historiclly old, but it's nice to read it again.

GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2004 16:20 Edited at: 20th Oct 2004 16:21
Real Programmers don't write specs -- users should consider themselves lucky to get any programs at all, and take what they get.

Real Programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.

Real Programmers don't write application programs, they program right down on the bare metal. Application programming is for feebs who can't do system programming.

Real Programmers don't eat quiche. They eat Twinkies. And Szechwan food. (Do not go to eat Szechwan food with a group of Real Programmers unless you are prepared to argue bitterly over the last spring roll.)

Real Programmers aren't scared of GOTOs... but they really prefer branches to absolute locations.

Real Programmers don't write COBOL. COBOL is for wimpy application programmers.

Real Programmers' programs never work right the first time. But if you throw them on the machine they can be patched into working in "only a few" 30-hour debugging sessions.

Real Programmers don't write in FORTRAN. FORTRAN is for pipe stress freaks and crystallography weenies.

Real Programmers never work 9 to 5. If they are around at 9 AM, it's because they were up all night.

Real Programmers don't write in BASIC. Actually, no programmers write in BASIC... after age twelve.

Real Programmers can take the scissors off the phone cord.

Real Programmers don't write in PL/I. PL/I is for programmers who can't decide whether to write in COBOL or FORTRAN.

Real Programmers don't play tennis, or any other sport which requires you to change clothes. Mountain climbing is OK, and Real Programmers wear their climbing boots to work in case a mountain should suddenly spring up in the middle of the computer room.

Real Programmers don't do documentation. Documentation is for simps who can't figure out the listing.

Real Programmers don't write in PASCAL, or BLISS, or ADA, or any of those pinko computer science languages. Strong typing is for people with weak memories.

Also of interest: http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/real.programmers.html
PowerSoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2004 19:36
Quote: "Real Programmers don't write in BASIC. Actually, no programmers write in BASIC... after age twelve"

lol. and i still am coding in BASIC....

Create? Play? YOU Decide
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
isnt that a modern translation of sun-tzu's art of war manual?

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2004 08:18
no that's just a straight translation

[center]:: Life is a box-plot :: Want Gmail? Email me ::
[center]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 20:20:22
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 20:20:22