Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / BOOT.INI problem

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2004 08:05 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2004 08:07
I have two hard drives and have been running Windows XP Home on my C drive. Drive D was always used for backups and whatnot.

Anyways, my employer is requiring me to use Visual Studio.NET with IIS, so I installed Win2k Pro on my D drive, figuring the installer would detect XP on my C drive and automagically give me an option on startup.

Well, it seemed to have worked. My BOOT.INI file was changed and now there's an option to boot from XP or 2K.

Well, 2K works find and dandy, but when I select XP, the oddest thing happens. It displays the first process of the WIN2K startup, then craps out with a bunch of errors.

What I don't understand is why it's trying to load Win2k when I selected XP.

I have a little bit of experience modifying the BOOT.INI file, but it looks perfectly fine:

Quote: "
[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
"

Any ideas?

EDIT:
By the way, all of my programs (DBPro, Reason, etc.) are on my WinXP hard drive, which is a problem because I can't work on my compo project!!

--[Gang Wars of New Canada]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2004 15:10
Hmmm my only guess:

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)WINNT

Needs to be changed to:

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINNT

That'll atleast give you the XP portion (atleast should). Not sure if that'll fix it though... I'm not the greatest boot.ini modifier either.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 20:33:08
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 20:33:08