Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Two Weapon Renders for Unnamed Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2003 02:27
Well, I don't know if the people out there want to see renders of more sub-par weapons for another DarkBasic creation, but here you go:

These are the SMG and Elecron Blaster for my upcoming turn-based strategy game. They're both fairly low-poly, as you can see, and each comes with a 256x128 skin. I'm quite happy with how they've turned out - most of my other attempts look a bit naff, actually.

Oh, and I'm thinking of calling my game eMalice, but I'm not sure yet. I'll have some pics from the, currently WIP, level-editor as soon as I've got it working with enough material to make a basic level.
"I am a living, thinking entity who was created in the sea of information."
Epidemicz
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey , cool.

That one looks like the RCP-90 from Goldeneye.

The other kinda looks like a wicked ass cattle prod. heheh.

I think they are awesome man, what did you use to model them in?

I am the very disease you pretend to be.
Dr DooMer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2003 03:47
They were modelled in Rhino 3D and then exported to 3DSMax 4 for tweaking and skinning.

One of the melee weapons that I made looked even more like a cattle prod; so much so, that I've already ditched it and began designing a new one.

I haven't really played Goldeneye much, not enough to borrow ideas from it, at least; I got the inspiration for the SMG off the gun Kusanagi uses in Ghost in the Shell (which I think is a model of the P90 anyway). I'll post some more guns as I make them, but I'm focusing entirely on the level editor for now.

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2003 06:30
those are super sexy! I'm kinda worried that the electric one's point in the back will intersect the character too much tho...
Soyuz
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah they look sweet. Bring on the game! and stabbing yourself in the stomach with the rear end of a gun! hehe

Epidemicz
Years of Service
User Offline
Dr DooMer:
You are programming your own level editor in db? I have never actually tried this, and it would probably help to, heh. I mean, will this editor be able to position objects and add texturs or what exactly?

I have never tried to make an editor for my games...and I kinda need some information on what it needs to do and possibly how to go about doing some things.

Thanks

Dr DooMer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2003 00:24
Oh, yeah - I need to make a level editor/builder before I can make any levels! You've got a little mesh preview window in one corner, which has clicky buttons to let you select the class (static wall, dynamic wall, static floor, dynamic object, etc), mesh and material (skin, effectively) you want. You can then place this down on a grid, on three different storeys, and manipulate it like change the angle in 90 degree jumps and link dynamic object to each other. At the moment, you can only change the mesh and material selected and can't place anything down; it doesn't sound like much, but it's a lot of coding. A lot of untidy coding...

And, the sticky out bit was an idea I got off the UT rocket launcher mesh - I've put it there with the excuse that it protects the user from feedback or something. It shouldn't poke anybody in the stomach as it's actually off to the side a bit, meaning it (should) run alongside the troop's forearm. I hope...

Oh - and don't expect a playable game any time soon! This one's going to keep me busy for a while!

Once I've got more of the level editor in place, I'll give you a quick rundown of how I've done everything, Epi - see if I can give you a few pointers for if you, or anyone else, tries to make a level editor themselves.

Soyuz
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm having a crack at a level editor for my game. Like you say, not a good idea to try designing levels without one! Mine lets you place 3D objects in to a scene but you can not change the textures, as this isn't necessary for the style of game.

I've got it to work in that the map design area is in 3D and you can drag objects in to the 3D scene. Where the mouse is in the view represents where the object is dragged to, if you see what I mean? It's made easier in that everything snaps to a grid.

Making the editor seems like half the fun!

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2003 01:18
I'm writing a level editor also. It seems the only real way to go about a decent sized game

The weapons are cool I love the textures, they are beautiful Personally I love to see a really low poly model have textures nice enough to still look impressive. I hate stupidly hi poly models in games just cos the artist can't be arsed to texture them properly. Nice 1

* If the apocalypse comes, email me *
Dr DooMer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2003 01:23
I know - all my things snap to a grid. The grid is 10x10 units but most of the static scenery meshes are based around a 20x20 grid, to keep the polycount down and because my textures are made to occupy a 20x20 space). I'm hoping that most of the detail will come from dynamic objects that you can stick to walls and such.

What sort of game are you making? A lot of people seem to be doing FPS games, but mine's an X-Com styled strategy game - lots of strategy fun for all the family!

Matto
Years of Service
User Offline
I think you'l find the spike on the second gun is sticking out the side and not the back and into your belly.. lol, you could swing round and take someones eye out with it though, which is very dangerous for team play..

1ghz Cel,512 sdram 133,Gf2 MX 400 64,SBL 5.1,Win98
Best Upcoming MMOG - http://WWW.Atriarch.com
Project: Card Game with No Name
Epidemicz
Years of Service
User Offline
Dr DooMer:
Thanks man, I appreciate any help I can get with this. The project I am currently working on is a 3rd person rpg. I hope for it to be a pretty big game too. It would still be good to make an editor first, even with this type of game?

Also, these grids you are talking about, is it the same as a matrix?

Should I start by basically making a matrix and have buttons to add primitives onto it? And just go up from there adding in better features and whatnot? Is this what you would call a level editor? Please forgive my stupidity today...

Thanks again.

Soyuz
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey cool, I loved the X-Com games, looking forward to it even more now

My game is a kind of WWII flight sim, so the objects you are placing in the editor are buildings and terrain etc. I could make the levels out of terrain but I want it to be easy for people to lay down hills, woods and buildings just by dragging them in to the scene, rather than messing with a terrain. It may sound dubious but for the style of gameplay it'll work just fine.

Will your game involve nasty alien dudes? Always though a fps X-com would rock. Hey but don't give the game away, spoil the surprise

Dr DooMer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2003 01:51
Argh! That word! I hate ugly matrixes!

No, I'm not using a matrix. My levels will be made entirely out of standard objects, snapped to a grid by means of a formula like:

newxpos = int(oldxpos/10) * 10

My entire game is based on a grid, so it makes sense for me to do it this way. But, if your game isn't based on a grid, then there's nothing to stop you from using more precise numbers for the placement of your objects. Perhaps you could use such a grid system for the placement of large objects like walls, so the user can line them up more accurately.

If you do intend to use a matrix, you should probably start by letting the user alter the matrix by adjusting vertex heights and ground textures. Then, progress on to letting the user place objects. Although I never do because I'm a fool, it's always a good idea to plan ahead - decide what components your level will be made up of and how you would implement them into an editor.

Soyuz
Years of Service
User Offline
The editor I'm working on creates its own virtual grid on the X-Z plane. The 3D view in the editor looks down on this plane at 45 degree angle. So you can then say place an object on the grid and drag it around with the mouse, with the object staying fixed to the X-Z plane.

It works really well for my task. The bummer is making it user friendly and bug free so that players can create their own levels with it!

Soyuz
Years of Service
User Offline
I'd also be happy to release the source for the editor I'm working at but it sounds pretty similar to what you're up to Dr DooMer

Epidemicz
Years of Service
User Offline
soyuz:
I'd really like to see the source, to better understand heh...

Soyuz
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah no worries. I got a few more days work on it to get it functioning good then I shall share

Ahhh but then you'll see how bad my programming is!!! It'd be like "Hey dude, why did you write two hundred lines of code when you coulda done it with this statmenet?"

Arghhhhhhhhh NOOOOOoooooooooooooo!!!!!

Dr DooMer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2003 23:35
Okay, here's wisdom snippet:

Make a nice mousebutton function for your editor - get it to return some values to an array or something (anything that your program can read easily) and give it the ability to recognise things like: when a button is pressed, when a button is depressed, how long a button has been held for and fix the movemousez() bug.

This is useful because it give you plenty of control; personally, I use the held button command to allow the user to rotate objects by pointing in the direction he wants them to face. Likewise, I register the final placement of an object by checking for a release of the mouse button before it has been held for five frames.

Don't be afraid to copy ideas from other level editors, especially good ones for programs like Starcraft - they're not exactly copyright and have often been designed for ease-of-use.

And, above all, make it simple! Don't turn users away by presenting them with a cluttered screen containing lots of drop-down menus and enigmatic buttons. Make sure you've got a good balance between power and ease-of-use so anyone can have a go!

More wisdom will be revealed as I get to it. I look forward to seeing your editors and comparing them against my own!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 10:50:30
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 10:50:30