Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Sky textures

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2004 09:37
Watching the demo vidoes - one could catch glimpses of outdoor areas and the Sky.

Can you say how the Sky is implimented and if we will be able to change the Sky textures?
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2004 09:40
Standard sky sphere. Yes you can change it.

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2004 09:49
Thanks for that Richard.

To save starting another thread on a related issue - as there wont be terrain at least initially if ever, in relation to outdoors any idea if one can make say the bounday walls transparent (any solid wall for that matter) so that we may have a chance of faking distance to the horizon. Perhaps it may then be possible to achieve a realistic effect by making say the sky sphere texture have a mountainous or landscape portion at the horizion level.

This would be a big plus, though perhaps asking for too much. How is the glass in the video demos created? Is that a model (x.file) entity or a world - block or wall type entity? However its done could not the boundary walls be made the same way, thus giving us transparent boundary walls even if semi transparent? Adding some fog might disguise this effectively.
Simon
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
Yes you can change the textures for the sky. However it is not a sky sphere (yuck) but a sky box. There are 6 textures for each face of the cube.

You will be able to get away without having boundary edges so that you can see into the skybox, thus faking the horizon etc.

The glass in the demo is a model with an alpha blended texture.

Simon Benge
Lead artist FPSC
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2004 23:17
Quote: "any idea if one can make say the bounday walls transparent"

As Simon has said - you don't have to have boundary walls at all. When we say "no terrain" we mean no hills / mountains / cliffs / etc. Not "no outdoors". I haven't built a level yet that was indoors only

- Oscar Wilde
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2004 00:48
Simon,

Thank you for the clarification.

Richard,

I appreciate there wont be terrain support as such at least initially.

When you say no hills, mountains, cliffs etc. Do you mean no such things that the player could walk around due to collision for such elements not being available i.e. so that the player would fall through them? or do you mean its not possible (or advisable) to insert them at all?. If importing .x files is possible, then would we not be able to import a terrain model (.x file )and place it - albeit that it may occupy an area that the player could not access - in the distance for instance. (If that was possible we might even be able to get the player through some such areas via paths as world blocks and restricting the player to them. Just a thought).

I was just trying to ascertain what might be possible. Again we will have to wait and see what we can fake effectively.

Thank you
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2004 02:49
Technically, you could insert a terrain shaped model. But it's not recommended, especially with the hassle of trying to get the texture to align with the ground textures, etc. But sure, it's possible. As for collision on it, no idea.. best ask Lee. I expect it would work, just not in the smoothed fashion that terrain landscapes in FPS games fake to keep things consistent / playable.

- Oscar Wilde
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2004 03:33
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the reply. I presume there must be a reason why its being said that FPSC does not support terrain. I presume that its not been specifically designed to do so.

I will try some small scale experiment when I get it and see for myself what happens if the situation is not clarified further, which it probably will be by the time of the EA release.

regards
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2004 07:24
We're saying it so that people won't buy it expecting to knock out a Joint Ops clone or something - because that just ain't gonna happen.

- Oscar Wilde
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2004 21:07 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2004 21:10
From what Lee told us at the convention, its a question of performance.

A game like Battlefield 1942 will require very different optimisation techniques to a game like Quake or Doom which is primarily indoors.

FPSC's system works on drawing only what is visible from a given "room" (an area of space). With a terrain, you would probably need to draw everything, but reduce the amount of detail considerably at a distance - the "Serious Sam" approach.

The other issue is that FPSC's editor is designed for construction of Doom-style games, and so will not have all the features you might expect in an outdoors-game editor.

You will certainly be able to create terrain segments though, perhaps Lee / Mike could integrate terrain support in a future version?

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2004 21:16
Thanks Rob,

Yes understood of course. Hopefully there may be a future update that would specifically support terrain - If not then we will use it as design intended.

Its nice to hear it will at least not prevent inserting some level of terrain though.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2004 01:38
Sky sphere? Can we use cubes ?

Here we go again!
TRANSGRESS AND I SHALT BAN YE! (Just kidding...)
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2004 01:42
Mouse - read Simons comment above.

- Oscar Wilde
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2004 01:43
mouse,

sky boxes are what they are recommending and thats whats used by default......not spheres.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2004 01:48
That should mean some extra sales for SkyMatter - one sky texture from the collection which seems to have been used in a screen shot of Halo2 I have on my desktop.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2004 02:11
Oh right, missed that-- thanks Rich. That's great news. I have recently been converted to the true way of similarly believing sky spheres are 'yuck' . Homemade skies, that'll be a very nice feature.

Here we go again!
TRANSGRESS AND I SHALT BAN YE! (Just kidding...)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 19:13:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 19:13:58