Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Code Snippets / What is this shape? 3D? 4D?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2003 18:38
Yeah..DUH! I was just asking in regard to your last post. As it seemed you used the two terms interchangbaly.

"Laugh to scorn the power of man..."
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 01:48
Why is everyone saying the 4th dimension IS this...

We don't know anything about anything really, science could just be an illusion, space may not exist and the universe could be a giant lump of jelly for all we know. We can hypothesise but we will never know the truth....

Why the hell'd you ask me for crying out loud!?!

Athelon XP 1400 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 02:00
LOL!

I know it! I usual just reply when people post their little own plastic philosiphies of the cosmos...

We can theorize...till we die! Thats why scientist have their own maxim. "SHUT UP AND CACULATE!!" Lets hope they never quit saying that.

**throws a calculator at everybody!**

Cheers

Conrad Brown
Years of Service
User Offline
Time is NOT the 4th dimension, it is more like a concept of passing THROUGH the 4th dimention. Okay, try and wrap your heads round this: Imagine we only exist in 2-dimensions. In order for us to be able to 'move' about, we would need to travel through the 3rd dimension (visualise a 'slice' in the x-y dimension of a sphere - you have a circle right? - for that circle to change, we need to move the 'slice' backwards or forwards through the 3d sphere). - Therefore, 'time' would then refer to the 3rd dimension (wouldn't it!?!?). Oh i don't know anymore.

Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2003 06:03
Alright Damnit. I'm tired of plastic ideas. Let's not imagine we live in a 2 dimensional universe. We don't. So lets save some brain power. And maybe open up the eyes..and read the high school physics book.

BTW Conrad Brown. Welcome to the boards...bad start, but hey by posting like that you'll fit right in!

Cheers Baby!

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2003 07:21
guys face it the 4th dimension is the dimension of time.....but time can not be utilized in graphics....if it where instead of 3d graphics, they'd be called 4D. the 4th dimension is a paradox, noone can utilize the 4th dimension, thus your shape is and will forever be a 3d shape.

by the way......it is actually a 2d shape, it is on a lcd screen thus not in time or space.

I always win don't you know that?
Programming RPG games in Dark Basic
Since 1999.
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2003 07:24 Edited at: 8th May 2003 07:24
by the way that was outta my high school ap physics book

Since 1999.
Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2003 07:40
yusuke200013: GOOD MAN! I've been trying to argue that point for the duration of this post. And I've gotten some wack replys like 'Negative gravity is the 4th dimension!' and junk like that!
So you want me to shake your hand or give you a hug!?

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2003 08:25
Hehe, finally checked this thread out...

That shape is about as 4D as a crumpled piece of paper - only in 2 dimensions

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2003 08:57
you don't know whats on my hand...you wouldn't want too shake lmao
but i've been reading this for a long time and decided hey lets check this out and say the truth

Since 1999.
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2003 08:59
a hug that might be nice....................j/k i don't swing both ways

Since 1999.
Proteus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2003 06:56
...time is relative...

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2003 07:42
true

Since 1999.
Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2003 01:58
Yep...Anything else you want to quote from Einstein?

BTW...Since Time is relative...so is my Temper

Proteus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 05:07
You never know who`s at the other end of the line so I suggest you to be a little less ...yourself...
Well In the M-theory there would be 9 or 10 dimensions in our universe (history) but that doesn`t mean that they are all equivalent to each other (only 3 of them are space 1 of time ) the others are called compact dimensions, the idea would be that electric charge of an electron for exemple would be just motion in one of those compact dimensions...

Phoenix
Years of Service
User Offline
:rolleyes :eek >: 8) :\ >D :x :p :smokin |I 8o :b :lol :o 0] :rollin :hat :evil

Sit in reverie and watch the changing color of the waves that break upon the idle seashore of the mind.
Fluffy Paul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2003 19:11
OK, listen up.
The code is one dimensional. Two dimensional if you're being pedantic and including time. The code itself is a linear sequence of data. You need one single piece of information in order to locate any part of the code when it's saved on your hard disk, or even when it's a program running in memory. That information is the memory/disk address. Your monitor receives a one-dimensional data stream (sort of). You think of the monitor as having, for example, 800x600 pixels. That's just an effect to make it easier to use. Really there are 480,000 pixels numbered 1 to 480,000. The rasteriser (a component of the monitor) breaks this long stream of info into lines so that it all fits on your monitor.
You think you're drawing to pixel (476, 396) when really the computer just sees that as the 316,476th pixel - that's 395 lines of 800 pixels each + the first 476 pixels of the 396th line.

Even your multidimensional array exists in one dimension. All memory is addressed from 00000000000000000000000000000000 to FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF in a 32 bit system. You can't use more pages of memory than you have addresses for. I know this is simplifying it a bit but it's still a one dimensional sequential address space. Notwithstanding how memory works - if you have a 5x5 array you still could have a one dimensional array with 25 elements. Do you want to know a secret? If you make a 5x5 2D array the computer makes a one dimensional array with 25 elements in it anyway! Only the computer remembers how you declared it. It knows to do a bit of maths with the index numbers. So element (3,2) becomes the 3rd element after the 2x5th element = the 13th element!

As for "dimensions" in general... someone said it before that a dimension is just a piece of information you need in order to locate something, like an axis on a graph. Imagine an ordnance survey map - it has 3 dimensions on it: Longtitude, latitude and height of the terrain in relation to "sea level". If you took a map like that and marked the population of every named location then you've added a fourth dimension.

In terms of physics then the convention is that a:
0 dimensional object is a self-contained point. It just is.
1 dimensional object is, essentially, a super string. The only way you can find a position on the string is by giving a distance from the start of the string.
2 dimensional object is a plane. You need an x and y coordinate to find all the possible locations on the plane.
3 dimensional object has width, height and depth as you well know.
The 4th dimension is time. A 4 dimensional object is one that exists in time. This means the other three dimensions can change over time.
After that it get tricky to imagine what the other dimensions mean. The other month in New Scientist some people reckoned that there are at least 17 different dimensions and that time, matter, gravity, the other fundamental forces (weak electric, magnetic and so on) happen when these dimensions overlap in some way. Really, this is cleary beyond humans to casually understand - it requires hundreds or even thousands of years of thinking and experimentation for us to work out what's really going on. Arguing that gravity isn't real or that the quantum uncertainty principle highlights how matter is a reflection of something else... it's just regugitating other people's arguments, and those people change their minds about things every month. Have you *read* a science journal over a long period of time? It's slow painful progress and people have a theory and persecute everyone that disagrees and then one day the other person is proved to be right and then a year later both are discredited... it's like following a politicians career.

This topic is some hideous chimera where you lot are tring to argue about computing, statistics/data handling and physics like it's all the same thing! Maybe the Grand Theory of Everything will prove that it is really all the same thing...

Ending a sentence with a French word is so passé
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2003 20:22
Bluddy hell! This thread just doesn't go away does it !

Why the hell'd you ask me for crying out loud!?!

Athelon XP 1400 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
Proteus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2003 02:50
Hey It all comes down to physics right?
I think we are close to the M-theory (TOE), we know that several other theories are "correct" we need to connect them all, but hey that`s the tricky part...

"They" are the Illuminati
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2003 03:29
ok, thanks for that, not stop posting here.
P.S. shut up about the 4th dimension

P.S.S. soryy if i offended you

P.S.S.S bye

Always has, never will
Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2003 07:27
**Bows low to Fluffy Paul**

Man, I could have used you at the beginning of this farce...

Fluffy Paul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2003 13:27
Hey, anytime.
I think all these punks should get back to programmig their Halo beaters.

Ending a sentence with a French word is so passé
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2003 15:57
Halo beaters? who?

Always has, never will
The Cubist
Years of Service
User Offline
The fourth dimension is perpendicular to xyz axis'. As for string theory, the actual number of dimensions required to explain string theory is 11. Check it.

haXor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 03:28 Edited at: 23rd May 2003 03:30
aahhh hell the 4th dimension is time, and thats that

Sup Kids

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 11:49:37
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 11:49:37