Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Laptop screen problems

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2004 19:08
I have acquired an old Compaq Contura laptop (4/25C), and have been clearing a lot of stuff of it as it has previosuly been used in a business.

Yesterday I thought the screen was going weird, because in Program Manager the yellow background appeard to be flickering, but I thought nothing more of it. Then later on yesterday it went very weird, random lines all over the screen on the right hand side, then after that the whole picture was squashed to the left hand 1/4 of screen, and the rest was just random lines.

I turned it off (the correct way - it was still running fine), then left it a few hours. When I came back to it again and turned it on it had the same problem, even on the inital memory counting stage. This told me it has to be hardware (it cant get probs like that when counting up memory and be a software issue can it??)

Screenshots attached below, first showing the screen with random blocks, then showing it with the screen squashed over to the left (taken today - the problems still happening).

What could the problem be? How can it be fixed?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Programmer Holic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2004 19:09
Second pic

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Programmer Holic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2004 19:44
Update - if I plug an external monitor into the laptop that displays it fine - so it has to be the screen . Can they be fixed?
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2004 20:06
I had a compaq 133mhz that did something similar.

After removing the keyboard and unplugging it I got the case off and removed the ribbon that the lcd connected to the mobo. reconnecting it because it was lodged awkwardly solved the problem.

shame tho because i fell asleep with it in bed and it cooked itself overnight lol

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
Programmer Holic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2004 20:49
So you think its worth pulling apart then (the manual for it says how lol) and unplugging the screen and reconnecting it?
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2004 21:23
cant hurt if its out of warranty and its a simple case of the lcd ribbon not being connected you will save yourself a repair bill, or least eliminate one possability.

have u tried to adjust the software drivers before being that drastic.?

usually that laptop uses a neo magic driver or something.

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
Programmer Holic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2004 21:31
Well considering it happens as soon as the laptop comes on (while doing that memory test), and it displays fine on an ordinary pc monitor it has to be the screen. But I cant see how it got dislodged, I've been careful with it. Was just sitting on my bed when it started to go wrong.

What i dont wana to happen though is that I take it apart and then it doesnt work again.
Karlos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2004 22:16
i've opened up 2 laptops recentlty - one for a fan clean the other for a keyboard replacement. It's actually pretty easy to get to the monitor cables. There'll be 2-3 screws at the back- the plastic bit above the f-keys should just then ping out - they keyboard may need unscrewing and moving out of the way and then you're prety much there.

All Hail the Glory of the HypnoToad
XP Pro - Radeon 9000 Mobility- P4 3.0ish
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2004 22:17
The constant opening/closing of the lid does wear the cable out over time, or can dislodge it.

If you are careful and take your time, the worst you will do is break the display more, so you've not really got a lot to lose.

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Programmer Holic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2004 23:13
yeh there are clear instructions in the book of how to do it, so I'll give that a go. Better wait till my dad gets home though - he wants to use it tonight lol so I'll see if he'll let me dismantle it.

So are those pics I posted usually what is seen when the cable comes loose then?
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2004 02:17
No idea, but your graphics output is Ok, so it's either the display or the cable.

If it's the display, then you've got a potentially very expensive fix on your hands - when my laptop display blew, they didn't realise I was still covered on extended warrenty, and wanted to charge me almost £650 to fix it.

If it's a loose cable then the fix costs you nothing. If you cable wiring is fatigued, then I have no idea what the cost would be, but you'll need to replace it.

For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Programmer Holic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2004 02:43
I'm having trouble getting the cover off. The manual says undo the screws, which I have, then take it off. It seems to be on there very tightly, and it seems fixed at the back middle, and I have no way of undoing that. any ideas? Anyone else taken apart one of these before?
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2004 02:44
Make? Model?

Programmer Holic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2004 03:01
First post ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:
I have acquired an old Compaq Contura laptop (4/25C)...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 22:23:53
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 22:23:53