Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Question about the forum rules on Political Discussions/Debates/Fights

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2004 15:47
Well, I was just wondering, if there is a set of rules for a political debate here? I was also wondering if there was anything we could do if we do have these debates, to keep the illogical people away?

I was thinking, would be nice to have a nice debate (as I do have alot of questions on the thoughts of a few such as Neo and Mouse), and was just wondering what the full policys we're for them.

Eric

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2004 16:39
We don't exactly have a policy for how to run debates ( Honestly, it's not a common thing to have set-up debates on an indi game dev forum ).
Although, we have adapted a sort of unspoken agreement that in the threads that are talking about potentially flaiming topics, we will try to keep them clean, and remove irrelevant posts where necessary to allow those that are serious about the topic to continue.

If you want to have a proper debate, I would say that it may be best conducted over IRC ..?

Jess.

Team EOD :: Programmer/All-Round Nice Guy
Aust. Convention!
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2004 16:53
What i was mostly pointing at, was when we have people such as Jimmy(not that i hate ya, your like my Flamboyent Twin, plus you give me webspace.) in the last one, talk about peoples mothers, leading it off topic like that.

Quote: " ( Honestly, it's not a common thing to have set-up debates on an indi game dev forum ).
"

But with the general talk, that usually = politics

Quote: "If you want to have a proper debate, I would say that it may be best conducted over IRC ..?"

Some of the people bitch and moan about it, and since teh only other place on the network for polictics (Bartcop) is so far up Kerry's ass they can see what he ate for breakfast.

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2004 16:58
Alrighty,
Well, I can't guarentee anything, but if you start the thread, and in it state it's topic, say that it should be a clean discussion rather than a "Your Mumma..." Flame war, and if you're really worried about something getting outta hand, and you wanna try to salvage the thread, email a Mod, and I'm sure one of us could have a look and possibly remove some unwanted garbage ( but don't get annoyed at us when we don't remove something simply because you disagree with it ).

Jess.

Team EOD :: Programmer/All-Round Nice Guy
Aust. Convention!
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2004 17:13
You just made this thread so you could whine about me.

All you do is whine whine whine. I've HAD IT.

*packs up underwear drawer and leaves*

Remember, Jimmy still loves you.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2004 17:46
I have no problem with any debates, if anybody posts something really offensive either delete or warn them, the rest of the time just let it continue.

Although eventually somebody locks a political thread, which is a shame because they are great sources of entertainment and light relief.

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2004 17:51
I was just thinking (oh man it burns ) and i had an idea (it hurts!! ).

What if some kinda moderator set up a debate and its topic and moderated it making sure it stayed somewhat in a reasonable way?

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2004 19:34
Quote: "we have adapted a sort of unspoken agreement that in the threads that are talking about potentially flaiming topics, we will try to keep them clean, and remove irrelevant posts where necessary"

What do you mean 'unspoken'? We had a huge discussion about that rule.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2004 19:45
You are welcome to have debates, just be sensible, don't get overheated, and avoid personal insults.

Any irrelevant posts get deleted.

Quote: "to keep the illogical people away?"

I'm afraid that we can't do that. What is logical to one person is illogical to another.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2004 20:18
Quote: "What is logical to one person is illogical to another."

Which is why we end up with these long Bush threads.

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
PowerSoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2004 21:52
if we get rid of all the illogical people no one would be left

Create? Play? YOU Decide
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2004 22:17
Have your debate over at IRC, just make your own channel and have the participants join it. Then, it could also be moderated by a non-participating admin who could devoice the channel and then voice the individual speakers in turn. Would work out much better then even our own presidential debates here in the US, because when the speakers alotted time runs out and you want them to shut up you can actually shut them up!

DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 DarkTOPIA site coming soon!
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2004 22:31
Yes, but with IRC, you can't have a five day discussion like we've just had.

I think that the last discussion worked quite well as it was. It was just that there were a minority of people trying to derail it, and that can be controlled (and was) by any mod that comes along

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2004 22:32
Yeah, the reason i like forums for debates better then IRC, is because it turns into a real mess in IRC, you can't say as much... ect

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2004 00:32 Edited at: 31st Oct 2004 00:33
Quote: "What is logical to one person is illogical to another."

Hmm... logic isn't relative, you know . That's the very reason it can be used as a means of communication between virtually anyone. With a handful of axioms such as 'this is not all a dream', you can logically (hence mathematically) prove and disprove a whole lot.

Btw, I agree with Eric. It always gets very messy on the IRC, rarely a proper debate. Don't ask me why. Plus 'no politics' is a #darkbasic rule.

It'd be unfair to use our powers to strictly moderate a debate thread to remove anything illogical (fallacious arguments are sadly not a breach of the AUP), but it could probably be handled a bit more sternly than the last one was.

Here we go again!
TRANSGRESS AND I SHALT BAN YE! (Just kidding...)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 22:28:37
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 22:28:37