Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / The next product from NG

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm doing a poll to find out what the TGC community would like to see next come from NG. We had a few ideas. Some of these include:

A vertex lightmapper
An octree world/vis tool
An all around model converter
A world creation and/or animation tool

Any other ideas are welcome.

The people in the live chatroom liked the idea of an octree tool as it would chunkify the level, only make things visisble that are directly in front of the camera, speed up collision, etc.... If this is something you also would be interested, please let us know.

Anything posted here will determine what NG does next in the product line. So be sure to speak up

Lead Programmer/Director
Powerful Collision DLL for DBPro and DBC: http://www.nuclearglory.com
Lightwave Scene Exporter to .X also at: http://www.nuclearglory.com
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2004 15:03
I like the sound of a Newbie Eliminator!

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2004 16:12
I would pick either An octree world/vis tool or A physics package to go along with NGC

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2004 16:15
A visibility tool certainly sounds interesting

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
The lean seems to be towards the vis. tool since there's nothing quite like it available yet.

Any other feedback or precise requests? Like ability to place or plot non-vis objects for use as ammo spots or enemy spawn points or anything? Kind of like an octree tool doubling as a world setup tool. I'm open to feedback here as well. It might be a requirement since the octree tool would export it's own map (for vis data), meaning it won't be compatible with other map tools unless an importer is written. Would make a nice "add-on" feature. This way the developer could choose to do it that way or just plot the objects in the game-code and use only the vis system for static meshes.

Get specific here. It'll help before building the tool.

@Exeat
Make a nice game. Zap the noob before it dumbs you to death with the "uber coolz" ray.

@Lost in Thought
Yeah, I agree.

Lead Programmer/Director
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
An animator!

There is only one way to package shaolin: Shaolin Soccer...
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2004 20:09
Nuclear Jetpack Boxers? hmmm maybe a animator..

Making better games everday!
Oh yeah and just so you know its Oh-nek-a not One-ka!
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2004 21:10
a virus!

no maybe a free 3d object converter

its me n0id!

This is a Map Editor ver 2 DEMO Out now! http://www.tiame.tk
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2004 21:12 Edited at: 1st Nov 2004 21:18
Yep I stick with my earlier descion of a octree tool.

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2004 21:16
NG, I'd like to see a new flavour banana rum punch drink.

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2004 21:16
I think a world editor with octree, and collision detection, in a neat little engine SDK package would be great. Maybe even allow low poly collision meshes to be made from the whatever poly world.

Being able to design a level then load it into DBPro with nice sliding collision, intersection collision, and an octree system as well could be just what people have been hankering for.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
jrowe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2004 23:32 Edited at: 1st Nov 2004 23:33
Quote: "The lean seems to be towards the vis. tool since there's nothing quite like it available yet. "

I'm sorry but that's not true . I personally think it's a great idea, but it was done by UW quite a while ago. He hasn't really advertised it on the forums though so most people seem to be blissfully unaware of it's existance. The other problem you may have is TGC will be introducing their own octree system with Update 6 (if it ever comes ).

http://underwaredesign.com/prod_detail.php?rnd=684862278&id=32

For Fathers and Sons who enjoy wholy spirits.
Robin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2004 23:54
I'd like a nice, simple, cheap lightmapper - where you can load your object in, position lights wherever and it would create a light map. I don't know of any free lightmappers, so I'd be willing to pay a small price. Otherwise I'd have to buy cart shop or giles which is too expensive for me considering I'd only use it a few times.
Robin

http://www.thegameszone.tk | robin@thegameszone.tk
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2004 23:56
Octree all the way here!

You are not alone.
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2004 00:48 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2004 00:50
@Anime Blood & Oneka production

Yes, we'll probably see an animator. Just putting things in priority of demand

@Philip

lol, that might be the best one yet

@Eric T

Noted

@Van B

Yes, that would be a double benefit of the octree system. It could be designed to fully support the NGC system without requiring it. That would allow for very quick collision AND drawing.

This would allow the internal octree system to be shutoff for NGC so it can run the collision detection straight up.

@Lukas W

I think that'd be cool too. I don't know if I could justify it being free, well, unless it drew a lot of publicity, which it probably would, lol.

@jrowe

I stand corrected

I don't know if TGC's system actually splits the meshes or not. Doing mesh splitting at runtime would be nasty, lol, which means the octree system in U6 probably uses the poly's at hand. So they'd be similar but different breeds.

@Robin

I was thinking the same. It would be nice to have a cheap alternative rather than paying out heavy cake all of the time.

@Aura

Right on.

-----

I think it's decided then. I've already committed to work out a vertex-lightmapper template system for the NGDN members. So that will be done first. It will be either cheap or free since it's vertex lighting.

Later we may expand to a version 2 where real lightmap images are created/exported. The price would be higher, but still competitive to what's already out. And version 1 would still be available.

After this I'll move to an octree system immediately and workout the details for that. There is one thing I need to know though, what would you all think to be a competitive, yet fair, price for an octree vis tool, with easy collision accesorizing, world map setup, etc...?

Would $29.95 without the NGC or $49.95 with the NGC sound fair?
(prices in U.S.D.)

When I say "without the NGC" that means you'd just be purchasing the octree system but would work with your current NGC or other collision proggy if you wanted.

When I say "with NGC" that simply means the octree tool and NGC system would come bundled together.

And no worries to current NGC buyers, we'll let you get the octree system for a discount

If you think that price is too steep or ackward let me know, give me some price feedback ranges that you would be comfortable with, etc... I don't want to overwork or underwork for what it will sell for. So... knowing in advance will allow me/us to put the best bang-for-yer-buck into the product.

Lead Programmer/Director
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2004 01:55
Quote: "The other problem you may have is TGC will be introducing their own octree system with Update 6 (if it ever comes )."

At the current rate of progress (bugs introduced with each patch and needing to be fixed) I wouldn't worry about this for a while.

I would pay those prices if it is good enough.

nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Anyone have anything else they'd like to add? We'd like to have a little more feedback within the next few days. If you don't vote we won't know

Lead Programmer/Director
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2004 02:00
Personally, I'm not too bothered about Octrees. I prefer to hide/show mini level meshes manually. NGC is the daddy of all aps, and collision, for me, is the biggest headache, so that one's done and dusted. I think Gile[s] is a great lightmapper, and I'm happy with that, so personally, I wouldn't be interesting in any lighting proggies (as Gile[s] exports successfully to .dbo).

Some sort of level editor could be good. I'd have to think a lot about what sort of functions would encourage me to buy it rather than a modeller.

The main problems I have are with character animation, so maybe you could think about a product geared towards that. Something that will export animations flawlessly to db, as as soon as you use the Append Object command, animations can start to go awry. The character animation proggy TGC are selling is a good idea, it's just far too limited.

Hmmm. I'll keep thinking. There's bound to be something that we could all do with that nobody has mentioned yet.

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2004 04:52
I'm still plumping for the rum punch idea. Its by way and away the best idea yet.

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2004 08:28
I lika dat juice.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2004 10:30
Oc Tree

Click here to join our forums and get updates on game progress sooner!
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
A pack of many good, working shaders for DBP.

Quote: "I've seen the word programming and I'm not sure what it means. Anybody please explain?"

Quote: "We shouldn't sacrifice the truth to preserve "balance"."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 22:30:35
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 22:30:35