Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / 2D Animation

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2003 16:35
Ok, maybe this was already covered but I was so lazy I only checked the first page of the forum to see if it had been already posted (which is more than some would do, right?). I would like to start a game that is a lot like Diablo. You click, and you go there. You click and you wack at that monster one time. And so on from there... but I want to know how I can make GOOD LOOKING characters (as in they look like real people and not stick figures) and how can I get them to walk and run over to places a person clicks.
cybersamurai
Years of Service
User Offline
well for the walking and running you need to save a variable to a mouse click, and have that variable be a gradual increase in speed so when he just clicks he walks around, but if you hold it down he eventually breaks out into a run...

thats my guess

Rusty Gears
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2003 00:26
Re How.. goood looking characters

Um learn to draw good sprites or make good models!
I recommend PaintShopPro for sprites, and Milkshape for 3d

* If the apocalypse comes, email me *
Murp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2003 00:08
Can you tell me how PaintShop Pro works? I wonder if I should draw them by hand and then scan them in a color it with something or see what PaintShop does. I've used it before but very limitedly (I think that IS a word!) but I dunno how much better off I'd be with that than just good ol' MS Paint.
warzog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2003 09:07
I'm doing a similar game, and I use Poser to create my characters.
My main character, Alana, is based on the http://www.daz3d.com Victoria character.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2003 07:43
if u need a 3d to 2d render open source script made in DBC with some extra conversion scripts then there on my site to help this style of game building.

http://www.lunarpixel.com/code.htm

credit for the usage of the snippet would be nice if used extensively

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2003 20:18
PaintShopPro does a lot more than MS Paint If you want to scan in images, it'll posterise it and find the edges for you so you can edit and colour it properly, or you can just draw directly in it, a lot more accurately and easily than with Paint There are loads of tuorials around. If money is not an option, you might be better off with Photoshop, but personally I find it harder to use. There are loads of cool effects for it tho.

Murp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2003 03:35
Ok. I still would like to know how I can animate it frame by frame. If I made several pictures for a walking animation, how would I make that work when a person clicked and went somewhere?
Disco Stu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2003 10:52
Well for sprites you have to tell your program to run through each frame manually when an event occurs which requires animation. A good example of this can be found in a tutorial (#14 to be precise) by Marc Fluery in his All-Code Tutorials on http://www.dbheaven.com. Go look through the snippets there.
Sina.

"Maybe if you ain't so good, I ain't so bad."--Tony Manero to Stephanie (Karen Lynn Gorney)
warzog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2003 13:46
DBPro has a command that's perfect for this:

create animated sprite 1, "aws.png", 10, 9, 1

Where "aws.png" is an image with the animation(s)
The "10" is the number of frames across
The "9" is the number of animations vertically
I have 1 set of stills in 8 directions
Followed by the 8 - 10 frame animations for each direction

then to view:
sprite #,x,y,1
play sprite #,start animation,end animation,delay between frames
(use x,y to position the sprite on the screen)
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2003 17:45
Yes, but its bugged at the moment, and Rich says not fixed till at least Patch 5

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2003 18:00
Yes, but only because Patch4 isn't a bug fix release - it's an enhancement release (i.e. DBO format). I think we'll see P5 quite soon after P4 is out.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
warzog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2003 00:55
What's bugged about it?
Since 3.1 I haven't had any problems with it.
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2003 04:00
Many people experience missing frames and similar problems. I don't use it myslef, but Rich said there is a definite problem with it.

Thanks Rich, I look forward to both soon (not Sunday after all boohoo lol)

Manta
Years of Service
User Offline
But how do you put all your frames of animation in one picture??
warzog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2003 13:21
I use PaintShop Pro 7 to create one image with all of the frames for one character.
My animation pages have 90 frames.
PSP7 allows me to make sure that the Register of each frame is perfect, so that I don't get any jitter.

I haven't noticed any missing frames using Play Sprite, and I have 8-10 frame animations!
And when you're looking at a sexy lady swingin' her hips, with her breasts bouncing, hair moving in the breeze, while she struts her stuff in 10 frames, a missing frame would stick out like a sore thumb!
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2003 21:44
lol maybe its only on some pcs/os' there have been lots of complaints about this tho, if you look through the forums, and recently rich said it wouldn't be fixed till later

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 19:14:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 19:14:41