Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / 2D GTA 2 type game.. HELP!!!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
i wanna make a 2d scrolling/shooting game. Not like galaga or spaces invaders, not like marion but kinda like GTA 2..

is that possible? and doesnt anyone know where i should go to get a tutorial to make that kind of game? i am using TileStudio for my level designer.

TYVVM
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2004 18:04
I have just the thing, a little GTA demo made in DB (won't work in DBPro) a few years ago (has proved popular with GTA fans).

I'll see if I can get it to you - or if anyone reading this has a copy maybe they could attach it or email it to you.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2004 18:12 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2004 18:13
I have a gta demo code, but I dont remember who made it... you are a red man and there's a green car...
but I have it at home

edit:
btw, gta uses 3d

This is a Map Editor ver 2 DEMO Out now! [ahref]http://www.tiame.tk[/ahref]
Sqwerty
Years of Service
User Offline
umm GTA3 and on uses 3d.. but GTA 1 and 2 uses 2D =)

im usign DBP.. sorry bout that confusion.. i can try the DBC one. i will just get the trial.

doesnt DBC work in DBP tho? or is it two different code? whats better?
Sqwerty
Years of Service
User Offline
noone then??
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2004 16:46
dbpro is better than dbc.
dbc code wont work in dbpro. (it will but some commands have been removed and you will have to convert it.. wont be so much different though)

no, all gta games uses 3d. gta 1 and 2 uses 3d boxes on the houses and plains for the cars. (how do you think you see so much of the walls on the houses)
if it was 2d you would only see the house roofs

This is a Map Editor ver 2 DEMO Out now! [ahref]http://www.tiame.tk[/ahref]
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2004 16:59
My demo was 3D, probably the code that Lukas has. The main point about it is the buildings, they're static objects, so you'd have to change that so it used clone or something like that. You will need to change the buildings anyway, it was really just made as an example for someone to show the basic idea.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
MrSevenHands
Years of Service
User Offline
I would like to see that code.
Sqwerty
Years of Service
User Offline
well its BASICALLY 2D.. its basic 3d in a 2d world.. kinda.. well anyways can anyone help me at all? lol.. i really just need to know collision right now.. how would i have a colision between a bitmap and another bitmap?

in FlashMX actionscript theres a code to make it so you can detect the drawn part to be the part that detects collisions with an object or the entire picture (like the invisible area) is there anything like that for DBP??
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 15:32 Edited at: 5th Nov 2004 15:34
hmm, if Im correct I guess that if you made four variables (width and height of the bitmaps) and then four more variables (x,y position of the bitmaps). you then put these in the main loop and check if they are colliding. here is some code if you dont understand what I mean:
(this is dbc code so you might convert it if it does not work.. I dont have dbpro)

This is a Map Editor ver 2 DEMO Out now! http://www.tiame.tk
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 21:33
Really, bitmaps are not the way to go. If your making a GTA style game in DBC, the ONLY way to handle it at a decent speed is with mock 2D, like a matrix, and static objects for the buildings, then some flat plains for the characters etc. 2D is far too slow - 3D will handle the ground map (using a matrix), and it'll make it all nice and easy.

About collision though, it could just be as simple as having a solid matrix tile, like just a tile that you'd plant down to lay out the collision. In my example, I used a simple dirt texture, the little dude can't walk on dirt - so you put dirt under each building. It does mean that you have straight walls (like the original) but 2D array collision like that is so fast - the fastest possible collision detection ever as a matter of fact, your only checking an array .

My example is perfect for you - I'll see if I can get it from my old HD tonight (it's on a old disconnected drive that no longer works on my PC - It does work on my brothers though - thank god).

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
Sqwerty
Years of Service
User Offline
ok thanks man.. anyone got a tutorial where i can learn about matricies and tiling them??

its matricies for more than one matrix right??
Ali M Oldboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2004 18:37
A 2D GTA2 style game?

GTA2 is 3D!

Zoom the camera out so that its in a bomberman style (possibly a bit higher) Place your objects and that should have it!

-ALI-

- Shoot 'Em Down! -
StOrM3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 11:28
VAN B can you send that example to me as well ? I am also working on a game that is from this kinda pseudo 2d/3d view point, and need some info about collisions, and fake arcade style physics, mostly just bouncing and knowing when to play exploding animations.

Thanks VAN B if you can email it to me also,

storm3@twlakes.net

Any other source is welcome, if you think you can help.

BTW: My game has buildings made out of like upto 4 models stacked on top of each other, and you can hit them and I want them to crush after certain number of hits etc..

[PKE] Pain Killa Entertainment(tm) [PKE]
Pain Brings Reality...
[PKE] Pain Killa Entertainment(tm) [PKE]
Freakill
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry for refloating that post, but I'm really interested in an example of a GTA type game

I'd be really grateful if you could send i to me Van B.

My email is: freakill@gmail.com

I want a thing like that mostly to practice with programming and trying to programme slowly a game that could entertain me 5 minutes every time I don't have anything to do

This could have been an intelligent sentence.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 04:19:23
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 04:19:23