Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Another Noob Question RE images

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2003 17:49
Hi,
Ive just purchased DBPro , quickly followed by joining this forum. I have a reasonable knowledge of the BASIC language having used it since my commodore+4 days and dont see DBPro being TOO different . However my first question is of a sprite based nature.

When I create an image in photoshop then load it into DB , the background is still present. I have used the set image colorkey command and set it to black however when i compile their are blocks around my image. Is this because the resolution of my image is too high or something?
I would be gratefull for any assistance and sorry in advance if it is a painfully obvious answer!
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2003 23:45
I think you don't need to set the colorkey for black since it's the default color...Did you try without?

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2003 23:46
Also,I think Sprites automatically fade the black parts when created.

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2003 00:21
if It is pure black the sprite should automatically remove if. However there seems to be some problems with this with some people's graphics cards and DEFINITELY if you haven't installed Patch 3?

* If the apocalypse comes, email me *
Oraculaca
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2003 19:35
Thanks for the help. I did use the 'set image colorkey' command however what is happening is that most of the background is removed but their are still like a blocky outline around the image.

I can create a sprite no problem with no background visible ,but not an image.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2003 19:44
when exporting your image u may want to toggle anti aliasing.

this is a feature which trys to blend colours near each other creating lots of smaller colour pixels and can affect the edges of objects.

IF u have your sprites on another layer in your 2d ediotr u can easily drop down a black background and export.
What are u exporting to and can u post up one image please.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2003 19:18
Post the image here to everyone to have a look at? I would guess that Photoshop has anti-aliased it for you (it does most things!) and it's this you are seeing in DBPro.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2003 04:51
Yes it may well be that I've had that problem. If your image is used as a texture on a 3d object or plain you must use the set object or set transparancy parameters but I guess you know that

* If the apocalypse comes, email me *
Oraculaca
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2003 19:47
erm no . Im not overly familiar with everything yet. I started again and seem to have got rid of the problem. But im sure I will encounter many more problems on my path to enlightenment I guess its all just trial and error, hopefully at some stage i will be able to help people.
Thanks anyway
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2003 20:22
No problem If you get too stuck feel free to email me questions, but the best way to learn probably IS trial and error, its the way I learned and I can now make an educated guess on most things

warzog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2003 13:31
I'm having the same problem with my sprite images.
I sent a copy to INDI, and Lee Bamber a couple months ago, and Lee said it would be fixed in 3.1, but it wasn't.
In DB the sprites are clear, but in DBPro, there's a halo of black spots around the character.
The images were made using masks, per Lee's instructions, and there's no anti-aliasing in them.
The background is pure black, even where the spots are being displayed.
INDI seemed to think there was a problem with the way DBPro, and DirectX reads the images.
I've tried everything I can think of, and everything I've read, or have been told, but nothing is helping.
BTW-How does one post an image here?
Manta
Years of Service
User Offline
I had the same problem. Are you using jpegs? because the compression tends to slightly change some of the colours, so they won't be seen as transparent. Try repainting in the colour you want to be transparent and save as a BMP. Worked for me.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2003 07:36
because jpeg or joint photogrpahy experts group file format is a lossy compression hence the colour shifting.

warzog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2003 13:12
I have used EVERY format DBPro can accept.
Granted, JPG is the Worst of them in causing this problem, but even BMP, and PNG do it.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2003 15:28
Send me your BMP/PNG file - only jpeg will add artifacts to the image, if they still exist in either of those two formats then it's because they truly exist. Like I said - send me the images and I'll look.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
warzog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2003 06:43
Well, if they exist, then I'm blind!
The BMP file has the green background, and when I use it, with the transparency set to that, I still get BLACK spots!
How I can get Black spots from a Green background is beyond me!
And for some reason, parts of the character, especially her legs, and breasts, are transparent, when they shouldn't be.
Anyway, I emailed both the BMP (green background), and PNG (black background) files.
warzog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2003 11:10
Since everyone claims that I'm Full Of ..it!
I did a few experiments...
Just for ..its and grins, I replaced my mouse pointer image, with the character's image page.
There's absolutely no black spots!
That means that the "Create Animated Sprite" command is adding them itself!
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2003 14:01
we dont think your full of it but did u send the file ot rich to see, I saw the rror and sent my notes to lee ages back when we discussed it.

we r on the same team warzog

warzog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2003 21:00
Thanks for the kind words, Indi.

But when people say things like, "if they still exist in either of those two formats then it's because they truly exist," when I know that they don't, How else should I take it?

I've been working with computers since 1971, got my first home computer in 1982, I'm 51, been using DB since 2000, (I still have DBv1.02 on disk somewhere,) and they talk to me like I just got started today. Very annoying!

Yes, I sent him both the BMP, and PNG files.
The BMP has the green background, and the PNG the black.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2003 10:32
water off a ducks back sometimes is required, but yeah we all get upset sometimes.

warzog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2003 21:36
Granted.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 11:58:08
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 11:58:08