Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [LOCKED] Kerry Conceeds Election

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 03:13
Quote: "If we allow such atrocious, shameless, vile, nauseating things as homosexuality to be considered "ok", we're going down the tubes fast."

I'd imagine the same tubes as the old Romans

Remember, Jimmy still loves you.
Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 03:30
@Mouse

FANTASTIC! That's my #1 worry drastically reduced. This is one of the few situations where I'd rather have a far-left individual in the office than this particular far-right one. Let's hope the Patriot Act leaves soon after

Glad I could brighten up your day.

@Dark Llama

Our country has to have at least some basic moral guidelines in order to survive.

So you're saying that some how two gay people signing a piece of paper and exchanging rings will destroy America?

I can not even begin to fathom how you got to that conclusion. What exactly is it in homosexuality that would destory America? I mean I can understand how you find it disgusting, but it's not like the continent is going to blow up or something.
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
but dont you think that if gay people were the majority, they'd see hetrosexuals the same way as we see them now?

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 03:37
If homosexuals were the majority mankind would cease to exist in a very short span of time.

@Neo

Quote: "What exactly is it in homosexuality that would destory America?"

Are you paying attention to my posts? I've already explained this.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 03:41
Quote: " but dont you think that if gay people were the majority, they'd see hetrosexuals the same way as we see them now?"

Not really, Froogle. I mean, simple fact is, humans are designed for heterosexual sex. I'm not saying I think it's a horrific perversion to do anything we're not designed for, but at the end of the day heterosexuality will always be the, ah, natural thing, in the least slanted usage of the word. And Jimmy has a point there .

Here we go again!
TRANSGRESS AND I SHALT BAN YE! (Just kidding...)
Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 04:45
@Jimmy

Are you paying attention to my posts? I've already explained this.

I was asking Dark Llama what he thought was dangerous about it. But do you mean this:

Quote: "We're becoming a society so consumed with sex and other perversions, that we're neglecting the real issues that apply to the majority and not a small group of flamers."

If so, then I agree with you. Bush seems to have won primarly through the votes of people who think "values" are the most important issue. Not the war in Iraq. Not the economy. Not terrorism. But 2 gay people getting married are the biggest threat to this country. I can't begin to describe how stupid the above sentiment is and how much it disgusts me.

And if you think I'm exageratting when I say Bush won primarily through people concerned with values I can pull up quite a few links that say just that, because that seems to be the general concensus with-in the media, liberal blogs, and conservative blogs.

But it isn't gay marriage that is wrong. It is people that can't get their proirities straight and can't help but meddle in the affairs of other people's lives. That is what is threatening this country.
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 04:51 Edited at: 5th Nov 2004 04:52
Quote: "Bush seems to have won primarly through the votes of people who think "values" are the most important issue. Not the war in Iraq. Not the economy. Not terrorism. But 2 gay people getting married are the biggest threat to this country."

I agree with you here and that's what I'm saying. It shouldn't even BE an issue. We can't give them marriage, because then they'll just want more and more and continue to cloud the real issues. If we do give in, then next thing you know, people will want to legalize marrying animals or computer AI. We need to take a strong stand now to discourage these morons from bringing it up.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 05:12 Edited at: 5th Nov 2004 05:13
All I can say is that I'm glad I live in a society where people's views are far more tolerant and open-minded than bible-belt America.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 05:15
But nobody thinks to be tolerant of those who aren't, and it keeps going and going...

Here we go again!
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 05:21
Well Rob, sometimes you need to believe in something.

I have set values for myself and have closed the door to persuasion. I'm proud of that.

You can be the wobbly, spine-less noodleboy and I'll be the one that holds firm in his beliefs, then we'll see who goes where in life.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 05:23 Edited at: 5th Nov 2004 05:23
First and last warning before I have to lock

Here we go again!
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 05:32
I love you Mouse, gimme kisses!

I hope you're warning Rob too

Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 05:36
@Jimmy

We can't give them marriage, because then they'll just want more and more and continue to cloud the real issues. If we do give in, then next thing you know, people will want to legalize marrying animals or computer AI.

Nobody is going to marry animals or A.I. For one thing, animals can't sign contracts nor can A.I. The whole analogy is flawed. People who are arguing for gay marriage say that bans on gay marriage are unconstitutional. They don't allow for equal protection under the equal protection clause of the constitution. They single out a group of individuals and treat them differently.

This is the same thing that happened with segregation. Blacks were singled out and treated differently on account of the color of their skin. Black children had to go to run down schools that were "seperate, but equal". When the Supreme Court struck down these laws the main reasoning behind the ruling was that they singled out and treated a class of people differently. Nobody worried about dogs or chickens having to attend class now because they aren't people. The equal protection clause applies to people only so there is no need to fear a slippery slope into people marrying chickens or computers.

@Everyone else

This just came up on yahoo not to long ago and I thought I might as well post it:

Quote: " Twelve years after Bill Clinton (news - web sites) rode a national wave of economic discontent to the White House, evidence is mounting that values--religious, moral, patriotic--are gaining importance among some voters and often trump economic concerns."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=2027&ncid=2027&e=6&u=/chitribts/20041104/ts_chicagotrib/economicwoesnotenoughtodrawvoterstokerry
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 05:38 Edited at: 5th Nov 2004 05:43
Quote: "
You can be the wobbly, spine-less noodleboy and I'll be the one that holds firm in his beliefs, then we'll see who goes where in life."

I personally believe that a more open-minded approach will go down better with future employers, but hey, I could be wrong.

Quote: "I hope you're warning Rob too "

No Jimmy, debates and disagreements are allowed on the forum, the line is drawn at personal insults.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 05:43 Edited at: 5th Nov 2004 05:45
Quote: "Nobody is going to marry animals or A.I."

With the way society is headed you honestly believe that? I mean, you may be right that nobody is GOING TO, but I don't see how you could say it'll never become an issue.

Rob, I can BE open minded, but not about everything.

Oh, and I like how you edited your personal attack against me, real class.

Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 05:44 Edited at: 5th Nov 2004 05:45
Stop the presses.

It appears I actually have something nice to say about president Bush.

Quote: ""I will be your president regardless of your faith, and I don't expect you to agree with me, necessarily, on religion. As a matter of fact, no president should ever try to impose religion on our society," Bush said at his first press conference since his victory. "

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20041104/pl_afp/us_bush_religion_041104185851

I actually agree with and support Bush on his stance on religion. This is actually rather noble of him. I guess there is hope for this country yet.

Edit:

With the way society is headed you honestly believe that?

Yes. I have no reason to believe otherwise.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 05:52 Edited at: 5th Nov 2004 05:52
I hope this doesn't get locked soon. There's nothing worse than a prematurely locked political debate

I think a 24-hour ban for repeated personal insults. Sound like an idea boys?

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 05:52 Edited at: 5th Nov 2004 05:54
Quote: "I have set values for myself and have closed the door to persuasion. I'm proud of that."

Ah Jimmy, to quote Oscar Wilde, "I'm not young enough to know everything".
I probably thought the same way at your age, and maybe I will think the same way in later life. For most people, their beliefs do change over time, and I wouldn't regard it as something to be embarrassed about.

Quote: " I hope this doesn't get locked soon. There's nothing worse than a prematurely locked political debate"

I completely agree, I paid for a 5 day argument, and I damn well expect my 5 days! Ahem.

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 05:53
David, show me the personal insults.

I won't crap out and edit my posts, like Rob, either.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 05:55
I agree that's a good quote Neo. I hope he means it .

Here we go again!
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 05:57
That's how the president has always been, when speaking of his religious beliefs.

I'm glad you finally see some good in him though Neo.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 05:57 Edited at: 5th Nov 2004 05:58
To give a purely hypothetical example, calling me a "spine-less noodleboy" would probably qualify as a personal insult - Now enough of that. What were we debating again?

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 05:58
I didn't call you that, I merely presented to you a situation of 2 roles.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 06:23
Best thing I saw on the news was when they had some scottish bloke interviewing some americans about the election. One guy said that obviously religious people make better decisions than non-religious people. It just comes down to that he said. Arf.

Oh, and those homophobic comments wouldn't go down too well in a workplace over here. If it has no problems over there (ie. not being sacked or at least verbally warned) then perhaps we've been getting the wrong view of a society where you can start a multi-million lawsuit over tiny nonsense issues.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Mytho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 06:32
Quote: "This is just a small example of how party politics works. You do what the whips tell you to do if you want their support and backing which, unless you are a billionare, you'll need. Running for re-election is obscenely expensive."

ok, so according to you, whoever is president listens to all the other stooges until he is elected, then he turns around and forces his views upon them? ...right

Quote: "Only a few deal with economics? They are professors of business. What do you think they deal with? "

business usually deals with management...economics is a completely different subject.

Quote: "As for the doctorates that is pretty much implied by the fact that they are tenured professors of business. Unless of course, you are suggesting that these guys are teaching business at Havard without a degree. I'd like to see you argue that with out feeling foolish."

ahh, but a degree is very different from a doctorate my friend. maybe you should read some news clippings about that.

Quote: "I'll state right now that I believe that the president does not have total control over the economy. The recession was going to happen whether Bush or Gore or Santa Claus got into office. I'm not blaming him for the recession. What I'm blaming him for is this "jobless recovery" and how lousy it has been for pretty much everyone in America including the rich. His policies DO have an important impact on the economy. Do you disagree with me there(and by that I mean that his policies have an important impact on the economy)?"

Actually on this we do agree, presidential policies do effect the economy, to a degree, but not nearly the degree as presented in said letter. However, I do personally believe bush's policies haven't done much to help our economy.

Quote: "It's not. You obviously haven't bothered to look at any of the data."

actually, i have. in all the examples you presented the rates are RETURNING towards previous levels. that simply shows that bush's policies aren't what's pushing us into this recession, and that we are coming out of it, even with him in office.

Quote: "That supports my case. Not yours."

no, it supports mine. why? because its showing that due to the involvement in Iraq and the war on terrorism a majority of the leaders have been removed. ok, so lots more people are mad at America, but we've eliminated a more than 50% of the terrorist core. i think its worth the trade.

Quote: "I agree that there was a few secret reasons for invading Iraq. Wolfowitz I believe has said himself in a few interviews that WMD was the only reason they could agree on to publically support to get the approval of the American public. I don't think this speaks too highly of the adminstration. If the adminstration is afraid the American public will disapprove of their reasons you have to wonder how sound their reasons for going in really were especially in light of the fact that terrorism has increased and not decreased."

he never said that it was because the public would disapprove, the most logical reasons for not releasing the information is that it could compromise either 1, the agents or 2, the mission itself.

And if you agree on this fact, you'd also have to agree that you and me will never be able to accurately argue the benefits and losses of the war.

On the issue of gay marriage, the issue isn't that people should just accept it and move on, the proposal of gay marriage gives substantial benefits to couples, including tax write-offs, etc.
I think it is perfectly fair for people to stand up and say, i don't want to pay for them to be a couple. I don't care if people are gay, but I am definately opposed to paying federal taxes that support it.

Its the product that counts, not the method.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 06:37
Quote: "David, show me the personal insults."

I wasn't directing that at you. Rob said that things shouldn't get to the personal level, and I suggested if people do repeatedly post on the personal level then they get punished

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 06:39
@ Jimmy

I seriously hope someone you love dearly comes out.

I wonder how that would change your views on homosexuality.

Would you disown your own brother?
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 06:45 Edited at: 5th Nov 2004 07:02
Ok, that's already been addressed by Rich in his sticky, so I figured you were already working under that standard and were addressing me. My bad.

Chris,

For one, that would never happen, because my brothers are not morons.

IF one of my brothers did "come out" I'd probably try to convince him he's not really gay, then if he persists, call him stupid and want nothing to do with him. I'd still love him and consider him my brother, but I would not support him in any way. You could say that's disowning, but it conflicts with my beliefs so much, that I wouldn't be able to be in the same room with him without arguing or puking.

Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
you think AI would give a crap if it got married? then we'd get baby AI scripts that save us the coding... its all good ^_^

lol, theres this gay kid at school who fancies a mate of mine, who isnt having any of it, its hilarius watching them.

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 08:09
Quote: ""I will be your president regardless of your faith, and I don't expect you to agree with me, necessarily, on religion. As a matter of fact, no president should ever try to impose religion on our society," Bush said at his first press conference since his victory."

That is Bush's stance, but that's not his supporters' stance.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 08:16
Quote: "That is Bush's stance, but that's not his supporters' stance."

It is for most people, and furthermore it's the American way-- tolerance, seperation of church and state. It's in the Constitution.

Quote: "perhaps we've been getting the wrong view of a society where you can start a multi-million lawsuit over tiny nonsense issues."

I always thought that was a joke. Do people take that seriously? Celebrities do that all the time, sure, but they're... well, that leads to one of the major cultural issues across the globe, actually. Our obsession with individuals who are generally pathetic talentless spoiled brats.

Here we go again!
Dung Beetle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 08:30 Edited at: 5th Nov 2004 08:39
Well, I feel... Never mind what I feel! I 've been trying to get a connection for about an hour, and my brother walks in and points out that it's kind of hard to make a connection when the wire ain't plugged into the wall...

I'm going to answer a few of the questions that were directed at me (and maybe some others...). I really don't want to get too much involved in this again, but I don't want to leave you guys hanging; I know that y'all have been sitting on the edges of your seats for my replies.

Quote: "So you're saying that some how two gay people signing a piece of paper and exchanging rings will destroy America?"
Not the actual signing, no. It's the fact that such a perversion has become an "ok" thing that has me worried.

Quote: "What exactly is it in homosexuality that would destory America?"
It destroys people's minds. If people think that homosexuality is ok, what'll be next? Incest? Murder?! I know that you'll think that I'm going a little over the top here, but 200 years ago do you think that they could have imagined even the thought that homosexuality could be accepted as "ok"? Much less that people would want it legalized so that they could marry?!

Quote: "They single out a group of individuals and treat them differently."
That is one of the biggest pieces of hooey that I've heard recently. They have the exact same rights that normal people do. Tell me something that we are allowed to do that they aren't.

Quote: "It is people that can't get their proirities straight and can't help but meddle in the affairs of other people's lives. That is what is threatening this country."
No, people that don't give a *beep* about what other people are doing is what's threatening this country.

Quote: "Oh, and those homophobic comments wouldn't go down too well in a workplace over here."
It wouldn't in a normal workplace here either. But this pointed out two things for me to highlight:
1. I'm not going to strive to be a good employee. I'm going to strive to be a good employer. I realize that for my first few jobs I will most likely be an employee, but what I'm pointing out is that Liberals follow, Conservatives lead. (Ooh, someone's not going to like that...)
2. How dumb do you think I am?! Do you really think that I'd say something like that in my workplace or in public?!

Quote: "Blacks were singled out and treated differently on account of the color of their skin."
(Ooh, touchy subject!) Emphasis on "were". If they'd stop dwelling on the past, they'd see themselves as what they are in comparison to other people: equal.

Quote: "i don't want to pay for them to be a couple."
Agreed.

Quote: "IF one of my brothers did "come out" I'd probably try to convince him he's not really gay, then if he persists, call him stupid and want nothing to do with him. I'd still love him and consider him my brother, but I would not support him in any way. You could say that's disowning, but it conflicts with my beliefs so much, that I wouldn't be able to be in the same room with him without arguing or puking."
Ditto, but I'd be more likely never to talk to him again.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 08:47
Quote: "It destroys people's minds. If people think that homosexuality is ok, what'll be next? Incest? Murder?! I know that you'll think that I'm going a little over the top here, but 200 years ago do you think that they could have imagined even the thought that homosexuality could be accepted as "ok"? Much less that people would want it legalized so that they could marry?!"

I speak purely out of curiosity Dark Llama, how many gay people do you know and speak to on a regular basis?

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 08:51
Quote: "It is for most people, and furthermore it's the American way-- tolerance, seperation of church and state. It's in the Constitution."

Maybe it's just because of the area I live in, but everybody I talk to about politics are more concerned about religion when talking about politics than anything else. They don't directly say it, but they make references to certain things a candidate has done that they don't think is morally right and you can tell they're thinking, "I bet <such and such a President> is secretly <such and such a religion>"

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Dung Beetle
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I speak purely out of curiosity Dark Llama, how many gay people do you know and speak to on a regular basis?"
Suuure, you do.

On a regular basis, none. (Thank G-d!) All the ones that I have met though have given me the chills, and they make me nauseas just to be in the same room. They feel unclean somehow.
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 08:56
Quote: "On a regular basis, none. (Thank G-d!) All the ones that I have met though have given me the chills, and they make me nauseas just to be in the same room. They feel unclean somehow."

Do you not ever think that perhaps you are the problem not them?

Quote: "this is not a quote"
Dung Beetle
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Do you not ever think that perhaps you are the problem not them?"
Well, gee... I'd never thought of that! Oh, do you think that I offend them with my presence?! Oh, I wouldn't want to hurt their feelings... Don't give me that, winch. People have been straight for a lot longer than the idea of being gay has been around! The only good thing about being gay is that they rid the gene pool of themselves!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 10:29
I'm afraid this is really going nowhere at this point. This can move to one of the other political threads, or a new one can be created.

Here we go again!
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 11:03
no, please, allow me...

DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 DarkTOPIA site coming soon!
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2004 07:31
I'm afraid not Cattle Man, I've never posted in a political thread before so the honour is all mine!!

"Computers are useless - They can only give you answers."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 22:17:36
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 22:17:36