Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Newton Wrapper Question...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 04:58
Hello,

I have started converting my game over to using the newton game dynamics wrapper in Dark Basic Pro, and have ran into some issues. First, My vehicle flies through the error flipping, instead of driving on the ground, and rotating as it should, also, my buildings fall through the box / plain object I have created, I am wondering if I should try to figure out how to move my 3rd person perspective vehicle, using the current version of newton or wait for the new version, I am not sure what is wrong, I have followed and used some code from Demo1 of the newton wrapper, and it is definitely not working as expected. If anyone can help me out let me know and I will email you the sourcecode to look over, and hopefully help me patch up, or figure out what is wrong and direct me in what to change and where.

Thanks,

Ken

PS. Please email me if you would like to help,

storm3@twlakes.net

[PKE] Pain Killa Entertainment(tm) [PKE]
Pain Brings Reality...
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 06:30
In Demo 1 the ball moves because the rotational force is set. It's a little demo showing how much easier a rolling abll is in Newton. (Normally you'd have to work out the movement with some ultra complicated function involving Differentiation and trigonometry)

If you just copied the code then you're car will just be rotating like that.

You probably didn't change the newton shape to a box from a sphere.

Look at example 6 and cut out all the crap about joints. That should be more helpful.
StOrM3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 11:37
Thank you very much, but yes I did convert it to BOX instead of spheres, and I managed to get it to stay on the ground and move when you push the down arrow, but won't go forward when you press up arrow, and the rotation stuff is not working as expected either. I have studied the fuction help files, and think I understand them, but I don't know why the vehicle is standing on its nose after I try to rotate and it tumbles and comes to rest, it stands on its nose, and at times now I can get it to fly if I rotate left or right and get ti to move it will lift off the ground..

But thanks I will check out demo 6 and try to use that code instead, without the joints and dampening, I don't need that much realistic vehicle physics, just forward and reverse movement and rotation to the left or right, maybe a little lean to the left or right, but its not really necessary, but if I get the simple stuff worked out, I will try to get that added also, but another bug I noticed is the fact that my building models fall right through my box, I use for a plain. I have collision materials setup also, so not sure why it is allowing this, maybe demo 6 will shed some light.

Also, I think when he brings out the new version that will help alot, since it will have new functions for local and global impulse and torque and rotate, to make it easier to control your objects.

If you can help anymore it would greatly be appreciated since I am just learning the physics stuff, and right now it is hit or miss, adjust and test, adjust some more, tinkering alot trying to find the right values, and functions to use. hehehe

Thanks again, for the suggestion.

Ken

PS. I think someone on the newton forums suggested using ezRotate with newton together, I may try this as well, to make the rotation easier to deal with, and I am also working with Nuclear Glory Plugin people to help get it working with meshes and boxes as well. This ought to be a killer game when everything works out, like it's supposed to, all I have left to figure out, is how to make the buildings crush and explode and fall apart etc.. I almost have that figured out, gonna make each building several models stacked on top of each other, each one with explosion animation data, and then after so many hits, knock them to ground with gravity, then after so much more pressure, or fall from certain height when it hits the ground, play explosion animation sequence.

I have most of it worked out now, and alot of code in on it now, now it is just tinkering to get it just right. Any help would be greatly appreciated in this stage of the game.

;')

Ken

Pain Brings Reality...
StOrM3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 11:39
Hey thanks alot, I see what you mean about demo 6 helping, definitely what I am needing it even shows collision with a building type object and it tumbling down, I like it alot, that is what I needed, to know how to do, thank you very very much, I am very happy you made my night.

Chris K you just earned a free full version of the game when its complete, if I can figure out how to rip and cut and paste the right stuff now to make my vehicle do the same type movement rotation that the barbell does, that is what I am having probs with is rotation, the movement is half way working, as is the collision and gravity.

Pain Brings Reality...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 04:23:20
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 04:23:20