Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / A Tricky Little Problem For You!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2004 05:38
Ok, if you've already done this before then keep the answer to yourself!, But if you haven't then answer.

Here's the problem:

There is a "Gas Company", "Water Company", and a "Electric Company".
All three companies need to connect to three houses, WITHOUT over crossing there lines!

The three companies and three houses can be arranged in any way you want, and the lines can bend any way you want, but the lines CAN'T cross each other!

I INCLUDED AN EXAMPLE, but the second house can't get any gas, which makes it uncorrect. So, see if you can find a way to make it so all three compainies connect to all three houses without any lines crossing.

LOOK AT THE EXAMPLE ATTACHMENT!

See Ya!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
n1 O_x
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2004 05:57 Edited at: 6th Nov 2004 05:57
Does this break any hidden rules by any chance?

Note: I posted this before you posted the solution.

Quote: "I've seen the word programming and I'm not sure what it means. Anybody please explain?"

Quote: "We shouldn't sacrifice the truth to preserve "balance"."

Attachments

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2004 06:23
couldent you have the water above all the houses say ontop of a hill and the pipes would just string down into the houses that way you wouldent need a pump :p.

but what is the point in this?

Underworld 1020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2004 06:30 Edited at: 6th Nov 2004 06:31
Here's another Little Problem:

FIRST LOOK AT THE FILE ATTACHMENT!

The question is: If the bird starts flying in the cage a little, what will happen to the weight?

The weight is measured at the top with that little scale thing. Will the red mark stay the same, go down, or go up?

See Ya!

Attachments

Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
It would go up.

Quote: "I've seen the word programming and I'm not sure what it means. Anybody please explain?"

Underworld 1020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2004 06:47
You have to explain!
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
The scale will only weigh the solid/liquid it is attached to. If the bird starts flying, it is no longer a part of that group, thus it will not be weighed by the scale, thus the scale would show a fewer weight. Scince lower weights are on the top of the scale, and heigher on the bottom, it would go up, because it lost weight.

Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2004 09:23
Lol.. Well said Ilya! Was what I was gonna say - bit you said it.. So damn you..

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2004 11:26
Quote: "which makes it uncorrect"

That's incorrect, it would actually make it 'incorrect'.

"Computers are useless - They can only give you answers."
Robin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2004 00:34
Thats like the question about a frictionless pulley, with a monkey hanging to a rope on one side, and an object the same weight as the monkey on the other end of the rope (The rope is passing over the pulley). If the monkey now starts to climb up the rope, will the monkey reach the top?

http://www.thegameszone.tk | robin@thegameszone.tk
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2004 00:39
of course, he doesnt change weight and he will always be touching the rope, the position if the weight really dont affect the problem unless the distance is huge....like 40,000 ft

[center]:: Architectonic 2.0 ::
[center]
Underworld 1020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2004 07:07 Edited at: 7th Nov 2004 09:00
Guess what.......YOUR WRONG!

But, when I heard the question that was my answer. However, after I got the correct answer.

Guess Again!

And by the way how did my little duckbird thingy look!

See Ya!
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2004 07:41
my answers:
The bird one: if the bird is not touching the cage itself in any way (assuming that there are gaps for the air and the air is not packed in the cage till the point it liquidises (killing the bird)) then the force applied by the cage on the Newton meter (my god that bird is light) will drop

The house one: Can the companies be based within each house, so two lines come from each and connect to each house?

[center]
Underworld 1020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2004 08:54 Edited at: 7th Nov 2004 09:00
For the bird question let me help give you a hint....the newtons won't drop!....I bet your really confused now!...do you give?

For the house one I'm not sure exactly what you mean, show an example or something, but I'm guessing probably not.
Underworld 1020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2004 08:59
Wait do you mean like combining a house and a company together?....I haven't got the solution yet, but will soon....I've been trying to figure it out and sort of have, but they might be bending the rules like your idea, so I'm gonna ask the person who asked me the question when I see them, so you might want to wait on that one.
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2004 09:03
Quote: "the newtons won't drop!"

if it isnt touching the cage then it must, unless the meter is broken or the air pressure is that that it will hold the cage around the bird

[center]
Underworld 1020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2004 09:15
Do you give...I didn't like the answer either, but its right

Try thinking physics...
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2004 09:41 Edited at: 12th Nov 2004 03:17
well im reasonably good at physics but if the thing is in zero grav then it wouldnt change, but then it wouldnt be on 3...

[center]int N30F15H,a=1; do { N30F15H++; } while (a==1);
[center]
Underworld 1020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2004 10:07 Edited at: 7th Nov 2004 10:13
Another one:

LOOK AT THE ATTACHMENT!

So, fill in the eight blank spots around each already given number and the eight numbers around each already given number should equal the already given number.....Ok I just explained that really badly...just look at the attachment!

See Ya!

Attachments

Underworld 1020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2004 10:10 Edited at: 7th Nov 2004 10:12
I probably not much good to talk to right now....I got messed up while making the number question>>>> ...and he then throws upppp...

Do you want answer to the bird question?
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2004 11:50
if the bird still hangs on to the cage and flies would it be enough to shift the weight of the cage? or if it flew and pressed wind down on teh cage would the cage get heavier? or if the bird was not touching the cage and was flying not applying pressure to the cage then the cage would be a bird lighter.because unless the cage was fully enclosed with only a small amount fo oxygen then when the bird lifts its no longer applying a weight force on the cage, if it were fully enclosed than i assume there would be some weight due to air pressures around the bird.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 00:50
Yeah. It doesn't work because the bird cage only has wire walls.

A better example is someone transporting pigeons in a van. He has to get across a bridge with a weight limit so he hits the van to make them fly, thinking it will make them lighter. However, because the van is sealed, the birds will have to apply an force equal to their weight downwards to fly so the total weight of the truck won't change.
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 03:08 Edited at: 8th Nov 2004 03:08
Yes, but the cage isn't sealed.

Wait, nevermind.

Underworld 1020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 20:20
It does have something to with the bird flying and the idea was to make you think that it would weigh less, but it weighs the same....why?......well, because when bird flaps its wings the wind he displaces will equal out his weight....I got class now!

See Ya!
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 20:40
Yes, but you said 'cage', implying that it's just wire mesh.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 23:02
Quote: "well, because when bird flaps its wings the wind he displaces will equal out his weight"

That is so wrong. You have assumed that the displaced air will all hit the cage, which it won't.

That's the thing about cages see, they aren't airtight. It's got something to do with birds needing a constant supply of air...

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Dodo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 03:51
oh . that would be why my budgie died then...

Part of solving the problem is actually noticing that the problem is there in the first place

Underworld 1020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 06:17
If the bird flew up in the air his wings would dispalce most of the air to the bottom of the cage causing the scale to read about the same reading as before. I do agree that it might be a little off, but so aren't most physics ideas when you test them, but there always very close. If the cage was airtight it would probably make more sense, but ohh well, I didn't make the question. I'm going to make a real physics question about projectiles in a minute. Did anyone try the number question, its really hard, but its possible because I got the answer some where, and theres no arguing about that one...

See Ya!
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 06:26
We had to prove this:

A hunter in the forest aims a projectile weapon (blowgun, rifle etc.) at a monkey in a tree.

The monkey realises he is going to be shot at so prepares to dodge it.

As soon as the hunter shoots, the monkey drops off his branch so the shot will go over his head.

Proove that with any weapon, on any planet, the hunter will still always hit the monkey.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 07:00
Bullets travel faster then the speed of sound, so the bullet has already hit the monkey by the time he hears the shot being fired.

Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 07:04
And on planets with no air or something (so sound cannot travel) he doesnt hear the hunter shooting, so he doesnt dodge.

Exeat and I proved he will always get hit

Underworld 1020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 07:11 Edited at: 9th Nov 2004 07:13
Ok, I finished my little question thing, but its not perfect so you need to ask questions, your also going to need to know some physics equations or else you really don't even have a chance....of course unless you test it

LOOK AT THE ATTACHMENT!

See Ya!
Underworld 1020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 07:14
hold on, the attachment not working right....
Underworld 1020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 07:15 Edited at: 9th Nov 2004 07:24
Here it is.. the file was more than 1mb, so I changed the format.

Attachments

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 07:20
Quote: "A hunter in the forest aims a projectile weapon (blowgun, rifle etc.) at a monkey in a tree.

The monkey realises he is going to be shot at so prepares to dodge it.

As soon as the hunter shoots, the monkey drops off his branch so the shot will go over his head.

Proove that with any weapon, on any planet, the hunter will still always hit the monkey."

all object drop with the same acceleration (-9.8m/s) so the bullet drops during flight and hits the monkey. Modern guns adjust for this so the hunter was a bad shot

[center]:: Architectonic 2.0 :: Notepad forever! ::
[center]
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 08:54 Edited at: 10th Nov 2004 09:04
Quote: "Ok, I finished my little question thing, but its not perfect so you need to ask questions, your also going to need to know some physics equations or else you really don't even have a chance....of course unless you test it "

1. 4.63s
2. 277.75m
3. Not a chance.

Btw, half the information on that diagram is irrelevant.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 09:38
Quote: "Bullets travel faster then the speed of sound, so the bullet has already hit the monkey by the time he hears the shot being fired."

Not entirely correct I think, for two reasons-

-the sound is caused by the powder detonating, and the bullet isn't traveleing at full speed right away when that happens.

-some bullets actually travel slower than sound.

Even if this was a very slow moving bullet at long range with a slow firing process, though, the monkey would be dead before it could possibly react. Just observations

[center]
forget as boolean : forgive as boolean : if forgive=1 : forget=0 : else : forgive=1 : endif
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 18:08
I would also like to know what other planets have an oxygen atmosphere so the poor little monkey can breathe. Come to think of it, what other planet has trees?

Boo!
Underworld 1020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 06:42
I got some different numbers for my question, what equation did you use?....I couldn't of got my own question wrong!

See Ya!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2004 02:33
piece of cake. merge the 3 companies into 1!

"eureka" - Archimedes
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2004 02:57
Quote: "I would also like to know what other planets have an oxygen atmosphere so the poor little monkey can breathe. Come to think of it, what other planet has trees?"

There is one planet in out solar system that we know to support life (Earth ). There are about 11x10^11 stars in each galaxy. There are at least 1x10^11 galaxies in the universe. What is the chance of that? Very likely.

[center]:: Architectonic 2.0 :: Notepad forever! ::
[center]
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2004 03:09
Sorry I obviously didn't make it clear enough that it could be any projectile weapon. A better example would be a blowgun or bow and arrow.

It is basically because the monkey and the dart fall at the same rate but you are meant to prove it mathmatically.
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2004 03:14
Mathmatically is too hard without paper, but I was correct was I not?

[center]int N30F15H,a=1; do { N30F15H++; } while (a==1);[url=http://www.bigcheeseservers.com/architectonic2/html]
[/url][center]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 00:25:03
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 00:25:03