Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / A bit of help please.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, that really sucks. I typed up a huge post, and it didn't post properly. This one won't be half as long.

Here it is:

Alright, I'm 13, and I live in Australia. By the age of 18-19, I want to be getting serious about my game-development skills. That's 5-6 years to learn. I think this would be a good language to do this with, as it looks quite simple. I'm not a complete newbie to programming, as I've done a bit of Delphi, and a small amount of Java. I just have a couple of questions for you all.

First up, what to use. I have about $150-$200 US, and I need to sort out what I would buy. I think I'd need DarkBASIC Pro, but I don't know what else to get. I want to model and code if that makes a difference.

Secondly, shipping. I live in Australia, and there is nothing about posting internationally on the purchase page. Do you post to Australia? If you do, how much do you think it would be? If you don't, how big are the full version downloads of the programs? I don't want to have to download them, as I am on 56kbp/s internet, but if I have to, I will.

Lastly, do you recommend I even use this language? Please be honest with me, as I really do need to know.

Thanks for reading this post,

~Gre4t

Damn that was a short post
Gre4t
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry for the bump, but I really do need to know this stuff =\
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 03:28
I don't know about shipping in Australia, as I live in the U.S., but they do ship them here, and shipping wasn't real expensive...

To tell you the truth, the don't use any form of Basic in professional game development. However, you could still get your Dark Basic games sold through a publisher, but you would not be able to get a programming job with a game development company using Dark Basic. For that you would have to use C++, I believe. So are you looking to create and sell your own games or be hired by a company to create games?

Xander Moser - Bolt Software - Firewall
Gre4t
Years of Service
User Offline
I was leaning more towards getting hired, but I can't do that with BASIC you say.. Well, maybe creating my own games is the way to go; I really like the way this language is =\
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 11:37
The key word is qualifications. The days of the bedroom programmer making hit games are pretty much over.

Mainstream games developers employ big teams, and are pretty choosy about who they employ. I remember when I left university and was looking at the job market, Codemasters were only interested in graduates who received first class degrees in Computing or Physics from university. Then you could start on their training course. Too bad my physics degree was only a second class!

My advice - work hard in school, get good grades, go to university. In the mean time, get into Dark Basic as a hobby so you've got a good foundation for later studies.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 04:22:33
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 04:22:33