Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / im stucked with making a skybox please help.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2004 18:29
Hi

first of all i use dbpro.

Now i have made a matrix i have textured it also i have placed 3d tress on it and you can walk around. Now i wanna make a skybox but i have no idea how i do it.
So please can someone make a source that make a skybox?
if you need the complete code i use it is here:

Waggames

wanna join Waggames?
then visit our site at : http://www.freewebs.com/waggames
Ali M Oldboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2004 18:40
Very good code!

BUT if you want a skybox/sphere, you would need to load it in and scale it so the it covers the whole matrix or beyond it

-ALI-

- Shoot 'Em Down! -
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2004 20:42
Thanks for the help

i will try that.

Waggames

wanna join Waggames?
my old forum name was: The Nerd
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2004 20:44
oh how do i make the skybox?

i have Wings 3d and deled.

What of theese programs should i use?

also i only make a cube in it?

Waggames

wanna join Waggames?
Ali M Oldboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2004 23:14
Do you have DarkMATTER?

-ALI-

- Shoot 'Em Down! -
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2004 23:57
make a seamless texture for the sky

make a box

texture it

set object cull off

set object light off

scale box centered on world but way bigger (make sure its inside the camera range

eg

hope that helps, if you want a better skycube then model it and use textures that match on the edge of each face to make it look different when you face different directions, or use a cylinder and cap it with a plain, then wrap the texture around the cylinder, you don`t have to use cubes, they just save on the poly count a little, in most cases it won`t make that much difference.
to make sure that you can`t see the player approaching the clouds etc make the cube or whatever realy big and keep it positioned so that the player is at the centre all the time.

cheers.

Mentor.

PC1: P4 3ghz, 1gig mem, 3x160gig hd`s, Radeon 9800pro w cooler (3rd gfx card), 6 way speakers.
PC2: AMD 2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra, 16 bit SB.
Mini ATX cases suck.
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2004 00:39
thanks

Waggames

wanna join Waggames?
Ali M Oldboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2004 05:05
Mentor! I was gonna say that!

Oh well!

-ALI-

- Shoot 'Em Down! -
StOrM3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 12:03
Hey question, what do you mean keep the player centered all the time ? Do you mean to move the skybox around as the player moves around in the world ? because, to make it appear as the player is moving around in the world you would also have to move the huge plain you are walking on, and all the objects in the world, along with the skycube, or is their a different way you are talking about ?

Enlighten me please.

Ken

[PKE] Pain Killa Entertainment(tm) [PKE]
Pain Brings Reality...
Sparda
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2004 06:34
@Storm - Yes, move the skybox with the player. Otherwise the player will reach the corner of the skybox and you will lose the perspective effect.

StOrM3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2004 11:09
Okay, and how does this work, do you just make it large enough so that it only blocks items far enough away from you that you couldn't see them anyways like this see if I can draw in letters so you can see what I mean..

|-----|
| |
|-#-*-|--#--

Like this, the Player is * and the buildings are #'s
the the skybox is over the player and land, and moves with the player so stuff on the outside of skybox won't be seen correct ?

I hope this is right, I am really trying to understand this, and more importantly, how can I make this stay hidden in 3rd person mode game, so it won't be to noticible, since the camera is kinda far away from my player / vehicle object.

Thanks ahead of time.

Pain Brings Reality...
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 21:19 Edited at: 13th Nov 2004 21:40

a big enough skybox positioned so that you are always at the middle and twice the size of your world means that wherever you go you can`t reach the sky and it cant clip your scenery, only in this example by walking off the edge of the world can you get far enough away to see the scenery clipped, and by then it`s so far away its not that noticable (you see scene clipping in commercial games, don`t waste energy trying to better something in C/Asm in basic, good games matter more than pretty visuals)
the sky is object 1 and just like the real world no matter how far you walk you can`t reach it, the ground is a plain object, number 1000, the first for next loop populates the scenery, you can alter that to what your pc can handle easily, cheers.

Mentor.

PS: don`t forget to turn off collision for the skybox object, since you are inside it you will always get collision if you don`t and that can cause issues

PC1: P4 3ghz, 1gig mem, 3x160gig hd`s, Radeon 9800pro w cooler (3rd gfx card), 6 way speakers.
PC2: AMD 2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra, 16 bit SB.
Mini ATX cases suck.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 04:24:28
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 04:24:28