Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Screenshots of the old TGC forums

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 03:49
If anyone has any screenshots of the old TGC forums, please post them or give me a link. I am curious as to how they changed, and what they used to look like.

Come to #coding. We promise we wont kick you!
DISCLAIMER: Promises may not actually be upheld.
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I am too!

There is only one way to package shaolin: Shaolin Soccer...
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
It was dark black, and the posts didnt bump if you posted in em
1tg46
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 04:03
That would be interesting to see.

Click the sig
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
There was a thread about this.

Quote: "I've seen the word programming and I'm not sure what it means. Anybody please explain?"

Quote: "We shouldn't sacrifice the truth to preserve "balance"."
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 05:14
I posted about this. Search "blast" in this forum.

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
1tg46
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 06:25 Edited at: 8th Nov 2004 06:27
Attached to this post is an example of what the old forums use to look like. This is a file taken from the website that DavidT was talking about. It is a working example of the old forums. Hopefully the person who did post this example doesn't mind me posting it to the forums. If they do I will gladly take it off.

Click the sig

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Kain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 07:13
Well for one they weren't the TGC forums because they didn't use that name back then. And there were also no forums, only "4rums". They were light gray and black if I remember correctly.

lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 07:28
ah distant memories, the old creamy forum, then the black style forum. then this lightly coloured forum :p
oh yeah yabbse (a lot will remember how it failed)

the changes that has been made over the years, shocking.

lagmaster - http://www.lagmaster.net was alive! http://www.dbforums.co.uk/ - was another db forum!

Dark Snippet Pro V9.2 is still out!! somewhere
Kain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 07:34
Yabbse was the forum where we had "gimme da codez" kid wasn't it? Long time ago now!

lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 07:39
nope, the dark forum.

yabbse died after a few mins after being open to the public.

cream > dark > yabbse > apollo > new apollo

lagmaster - http://www.lagmaster.net was alive! http://www.dbforums.co.uk/ - was another db forum!

Dark Snippet Pro V9.2 is still out!! somewhere
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 08:16
Wasn't the dark one an XMB forum?

"Computers are useless - They can only give you answers."
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Will we ever have another forum layout? I mean this one is great, but I would like to see a new one, because even though I've only been a member since June I would look around these forums since December '03.

There is only one way to package shaolin: Shaolin Soccer...
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 08:20 Edited at: 8th Nov 2004 08:21
yabbse was the first RGT one; it was the first apollo which died within 24hrs... Rich then spent like 6months rewriting Apollo.

Red (99) -> Creme (early-00) -> Dark Red / Grey (late-00) -> Blue (mid-01) -> Apollo v1 (march 02) -> RGT Period (march 02) -> Apollo v2 (sept 02) -> Apollo v2.1 (mid-03)

those are the ones i remember, kinda always surprises me just how long these forums have been going now. doesn't seem as long as it has actually been; same goes for DBP, but maybe because DB was constantly updated very quickly and i'm thinking of DBP in the same manner.

[post.edit] yes it was Exeat

DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 08:55 Edited at: 8th Nov 2004 08:56
"Dark Red / Grey (late-00) -> Blue (mid-01) -> Apollo v1 (march 02) -> RGT Period (march 02) -> Apollo v2 (sept 02) -> Apollo v2.1 (mid-03)"

that seems pretty accurate, though from what i remember, it was the grey/black forum, but there was no blue forum - it just went straight to the yabbse-esque apollo 1 (which crashed in something like 2 days IIRC). ohhh... maybe you're talking about the whole site color scheme as well?

to clarify in the RGT period, there was ONLY the RGT forum after the apollo 1 forum crashed. it was an XMB forum, and it was around for something like 3 months. then it switched to a yabbse forum about the same time apollo 2 came out. that's when the community started breaking in two, as there were then two forums. then in 2003, RGT went out of business and became LLRGT, breaking it pretty much completely off from TGC proper, as there is AFAIK no link to it from the TGC site.

"when it's done" means "we have no idea, we forgot to do that; we were hoping you would all forget we promised <insert exotic promise here>"
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 11:31
Quote: "Dark Red / Grey (late-00) -> Blue (mid-01)"

I musta came in around there, and left also, around end of 01.

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 15:29
Ah yes, the grey RGT. That grey still returns to haunt me today. Nooooooooooo

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 19:00
The grey still haunts everyone as that is the default colour scheme there

PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
I still remember the redish and gray layouts
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 00:15 Edited at: 9th Nov 2004 00:16
May 2000...

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply

Attachments

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 00:19
Quote:

12th November 1999
Regular visitors will have realised that the site has changed. You now have a public FORUM section to make yourself known to your fellow DB users. The 'shop' has merged with the 'demo' section to form the all new DOWNLOAD section. Everything in the download section is now completely free. By far the most significant addition to the site is the public release of the DarkBASIC Beta Version. You can download it from the BETA SITE section now. We will use the beta site to report the progress of your efforts in finding bugs and keep you informed of new versions and workarounds. We are especially interested in conducting a blanket test of all known 3D cards and configurations currently used. Remember, we are always eager to receive suggestions for how we can improve and expand the power of DarkBASIC. This is your programming language, and we feel it should be you who decides where it should go next.

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 00:24 Edited at: 9th Nov 2004 00:24
March 2001...

BatVink
Terms & Conditions apply

Attachments

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 00:30 Edited at: 9th Nov 2004 16:14
October 2002...

BatVink
Terms & Conditions apply

Attachments

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 00:32
Seek and ye shall find...

BatVink
Terms & Conditions apply
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 02:06
I't still amazed at how much stuff 'that' website stores. They reckon about 1 petabyte of data (aroung a million gigabytes!!!)

Fascinating to view peoples websites as they were 4 or 5 years ago.

It's also a great tool if you want to buy a domain that is currently available but want to know if it was ever a website in the past AND what was on the website, as it means you will probably get spam in your email from day one (like I found out!)

Boo!
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 06:22 Edited at: 9th Nov 2004 06:24
Quote: "October 2003..."

I think you mean October 2002, , lol, and look at what's being posted back then - "Is DBP Object Orientated?" - We're still getting the same threads today as we were back then.

Quote: "Seek and ye shall find..."

Now quickly take some shots of this forum before we switch to Apollo 2005!

Three Score
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 06:41
dude notic at the bottom of may it says powerd by ultimate bulletin board
so it wasnt actually made by tgc and wasnt trully a forum

http://free-space.myftp.org for free ftp
website hosting and e-mail 60mb for ftp/webste 70mb for e-mail
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 08:24
Quote: "so it wasnt actually made by tgc"

Nobody said it was....

Quote: "and wasnt trully a forum"

What...? Excuse me if I'm missing something terribly obvious but...

Quote: "forum (for’um) noun
A medium provided by an online service or BBS for users to carry on written discussions of a particular topic by posting messages and replying to them. On the Internet, the most widespread forums are the newsgroups in Usenet.

Microsoft Press® Computer and Internet Dictionary © & (P) 1997, 1998, 1999 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved."

There is no technical definition of a forum past the concept of an open area for people to talk about stuff. So how is it not truly a forum?

Here we go again!
TRANSGRESS AND I SHALT BAN YE! (Just kidding...)
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 08:29
Aye I missed those old forums Never really posted but I did browse. I was around for the old black and white ones tho I never posted.

Click here to join our forums and get updates on game progress sooner!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 08:30
I remember some of your posts from back then .

Here we go again!
TRANSGRESS AND I SHALT BAN YE! (Just kidding...)
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 09:48
ok i musta come in at 2001 then, cause i remember that being the main board colour, but it was a bit more detailed, it had like an outter lining etc. maybe was just my settings

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 17:42
the 2001 one has alot of images missing in that picture.
if you look at the old website thread by DavidT there is a link to what the website looked like at the time; it's amazing what a difference CSS and images can make to a sites appearance.

TGC used UltimateBB for a while, thier first few forums were basically reskined versions of it. Was a good, fast, and featured forum.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 03:39
Quote: "Wasn't the dark one an XMB forum?"

If there was a dark RGT then perhaps, but I've never used XMB here.

Code-wise it went like this:

UBB license. Perl version. Created static HTML files each time someone posted. Once we had a reasonable number of users the posts kept vanishing, the files would lock and basically it was one giant turd.

We moved to Phorum (www.phorum.org). I coded a UBB to Phorum convertor (which you can still download from the Phorum web site) to port over the users and posts. Phorum was superb. Fast and rock solid. Never missed a trick. This was the "grey/black" colour days.

Then with a new site launch we tried YaBBse. I wrote a Phorum to YaBBse convertor to port over all users and posts (quite some work). Sadly the piss poor YaBBse PHP code and SQL structure couldn't cope with the volume of users so we closed it down totally after less than a week and redirected people to RGT instead.

I spent the next six months or so learning everything there was to know about the insides of MySQL and table optimisations, indexing, caches, etc and released Apollo. For the sake of sanity, no old posts were kept, but user accounts were. I still actually have the old posts in a massive 1.2GB database ZIP file somewhere, would be amusing to merge them back into Apollo again at some stage, I know it could cope with it.

Apollo went through various internal updates, but nothing overly major. Moved to its own dedicated server earlier this year, will move to PHP5/MySQL4 with the next release some time in 2005.

Cheers,

Rich

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 03:53
Quote: "Wasn't the dark one an XMB forum?"

If I remember correctly, the XMB one was the first one the db web site redirected to, then that got closed and redirected to RGT, which was greyish and YabbSE.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 23:30
Weird, I don't remember that at all. But, if you say so All I know is that we've never (ever) run XMB here.

- Oscar Wilde
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 23:32
Quote: "If there was a dark RGT then perhaps, but I've never used XMB here."

have a feelin' this is a case of 'before your time' so to speak.
after all you weren't the original admin/forum manager.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 23:34
Quote: "have a feelin' this is a case of 'before your time' so to speak.
after all you weren't the original admin/forum manager."

No, it wasn't.

XMB has never been used on a DB site ever in its history. Even before I joined TGC, I still built their web sites. The very first forum ever was UBB, installed by the hosting company used at the time.

- Oscar Wilde
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 23:40
i remember a news item on the second incarnation of the site (sometime late 2000) that said about the new site and how you were the 'mastermind' behind it.

i dunno, i don't think the forum was ever XMB... infact i'm positive that was the first RGT one before they moved to YaBBe. just saying that i'm pretty sure you weren't the first admin, meaning you can't say anything 100% definate.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 23:58
Quote: "i remember a news item on the second incarnation of the site (sometime late 2000) that said about the new site and how you were the 'mastermind' behind it."

Yup, but also behind the original version too. I didn't build the very first version, but I did take over doing so. This is around 1999.

Quote: "just saying that i'm pretty sure you weren't the first admin, meaning you can't say anything 100% definate."

I was never a forum admin on the old UBB board. But I was responsible for web site updates at that time. More importantly though, I have every version of the web site ever produced on lots and lots of back-up CDs and I don't even need to look at them to know XMB isn't on there anywhere.

The reasoning is simple - XMB was built with PHP4. That didn't come out until May 2000, by which time the UBB board was in full swing. More importantly, XMB itself wasn't released until 2002, by which time I had been building the DB web sites exclusively for several years.

Had I not been running my own company at the time, I probably would have joined TGC (or DB then) full-time several years sooner. I remember Rick offering me the job, but I had just embarked on a different route in my life, so DB became one of my companies clients instead. Interesting to think what might have happened had I actually joined when originally asked.. but, no sense in dwelling on these things.

- Oscar Wilde
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 00:23 Edited at: 11th Nov 2004 00:26
IIRC Guy ran the "substitute" forums on a site called madmerlin.com or something similar before he started Realgame Tools. I don't remember what forum software he used then, though.

Play Nice! Play Basic!
Version 1.02 available now!
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 00:45
Quote: "Weird, I don't remember that at all. But, if you say so All I know is that we've never (ever) run XMB here."

GuyS ran it on his madmerlin.com/.uk domain. I'm definate. Just before he moved to RGT.

It was the first DB forum I joined. I clicked the link on the old web site, took me there, I asked about infinite matrices, VanB answered iirc (his avatar was a big cartoon head) etc.

I remember all the details

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 00:55
heh, well yeah. what i said in the first place still stands pretty well though; i mean in the way you put across the answer, was as if you could speak for the original admin.

as i said, i was pretty sure it was RGT that had it. just wanted to point out that it could've been phrased better

Quote: "IIRC Guy ran the "substitute" forums on a site called madmerlin.com or something similar before he started Realgame Tools. I don't remember what forum software he used then, though."

Also ran NMI (Enemy) Software as well, which is what DarkEdit was created under. Something worries me actually about the ties GuyS has with Tony (Simple), as they both disappeared around the same time; as were thier websites on the same server.

weird and useless information..

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 01:21
Guy still (co-)owns NMI Software which is completely unrelated to DarkEdit (except for the fact that he once hosted it on the NMI server). He also hosted Simple's tutorials on that server way back when.

Quote: " NMI (Enemy)"

Well I don't know how you pronounce the letter I or the word enemy, but I don't think there's a connection.

Play Nice! Play Basic!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 01:41
Quote: "Guy still (co-)owns NMI Software which is completely unrelated to DarkEdit (except for the fact that he once hosted it on the NMI server). "

Check the About in DarkEdit and the Readme. Both have NMI Software on it.

He didn't just host simple's work on the servers for NMI/RGT; Simple specifically had sub-domains, which he used for a number of things not just his tutorials.

Quote: "Well I don't know how you pronounce the letter I or the word enemy, but I don't think there's a connection."

No connection, just saying that's what it supposidely to represent; remember it being asked once and answered.

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 01:50
Quote: "Check the About in DarkEdit and the Readme. Both have NMI Software on it."

I did. It shows his email address and the download address. It wasn't released under the name NMI Software. In fact DarkBasic Ltd. (at that time) holds the copyright.

Quote: "He didn't just host simple's work on the servers for NMI/RGT; Simple specifically had sub-domains, which he used for a number of things not just his tutorials. "

Erm... he hosted several other people with sub domains too.

Play Nice! Play Basic!
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 01:55
Quote: "GuyS ran it on his madmerlin.com/.uk domain. I'm definate. Just before he moved to RGT."

Now that makes sense! Thanks for clearing it up I had many many sites to look after back then, I cannot remember what links I placed to where at all. I doubt I even registered an account on that forum.

Quote: "i mean in the way you put across the answer, was as if you could speak for the original admin."

Well for any official DB/TGC site since 1999 I can, because I was, which is how I knew we didn't use XMB here. But RGT using it makes perfect sense as you speculated (and David confirmed). I was not, and never claimed to be, admin of any 3rd party DB sites (and there are many of them!)

Time to go see Aliens vs. Predator.

Cheers,

Rich

- Oscar Wilde
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 05:10
Enjoy. I thought it was pretty good - the CG's moved on a lot since the disgrace that was Alien3.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 05:23
I'm looking forward to AvP, looks good, but unfortunately, I've heard very bad things about it.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 05:31
Quote: " I was not, and never claimed to be, admin of any 3rd party DB sites"

wasn't DarkForge, Requiems site?

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 05:39
Anyone remember who ran DBPlanet? Heh, it was a very nice site, although it didn't get updated much. Had "Patch 4 coming" for about a year, even after Patch4 came out.

Those were the days.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 00:27:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 00:27:55