Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / the possability of an MMOFPS

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 14:51
I know this has been done (PlanetSide) but I was hust wondering if anyone has any idea what the system specs are for servers?

I think they would each have to be huge data centers.

This is my counting program
do: print "87" : loop
Mx5 kris
Years of Service
User Offline
lol. Maybe....dual xeons with 9gb of memory and ram. 7tera bytes of bandwidth and 1 terabyte of space....

This is only the beggining...
The end is ony the beggining...
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 15:01
I have told you a billion times not to exxagerrate!. j/k

Thats quite a high requirement.

The 3d chat is coming...
Rights For Traffic Cones!
Mx5 kris
Years of Service
User Offline
it is true though. Unreal 04 takes all that.

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 15:13 Edited at: 8th Nov 2004 15:15
Quote: " it is true though. Unreal 04 takes all that."

Wow, I never thought a kid could be so Misinformed (Edited for "Kindness"), but yet, here we are.

Mx5 kris
Years of Service
User Offline
something like that....wait check my post......

Quote: "lol. Maybe....dual xeons with 9gb of memory and ram. 7tera bytes of bandwidth and 1 terabyte of space...."

new:
Quote: "lol. Maybe....dual xeons with 4gb of memory and ram. 4 tera bytes of bandwidth....."

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 15:27
A UT2k4 server needs just a 933mhz processer, 128meg of ram, and a 3mbit connection, and unlimited bandwidth (could do on a 1.5mbit).

Mx5 kris
Years of Service
User Offline
1. never said anything about processor
2. wow......weird....
3. Ok........
4. Well techniacly limited. Unlimited means endless. Computers are limited, but they might have very high bandwidth.

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 18:28
PlanetSide was a great game, and I only ever played it on the free beta, i was very tempted to actually pay for it monthly, but then i laughed and said NO!. Also ther is ww2 online, which is less graphics wise but very ture to ww2 with vehicle specs and so forth, also has a map half scale of europe. Was fun for a while but takes ages to get to places. Anyway I'm sure if you check out the forusm for both games, or maybe even the site they will tell you the specs of the servers.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 18:58
Unreal Tournament 2004 server will run on a:

Pentium 2 300MHz / 64MB (96MB WindowsXP) / 250Kbit Broadband Connection

infact really *the* most important aspect of an internet server is the connection. remember that server-side machines should not be designed to play the game, but dedicated data transfering.

the only reason to have a quicker CPU, and Ram is to get a quicker throughput so you can effectively use a quicker connection.
Remember almost everything to do with these games which takes processor speed; Physics, Graphics, Sound, Networking take up ALOT of power. A Server-Side machine only has to concentrate on storing and moving data; it doesn't need physics, graphics, etc...

Connection however is the most important aspect.
While my 300Kbit connection is quite happy serving a UT2004 game (non-dedicated) with upto 6 people, any more than 4 and pings will go from 30ms to 180ms

The job of a server is to make sure that pings stay as low as possible. Because of how home connections are designed, you will find that a T1 line although only capable of 1Mbit data throughput is capable of handling without problem upto 16 similtaneous connections while your 3Mbit ADSL will choke after 4.

Speed is not the most important aspect for servers, learning this will help you put together a system which can handle as many people as you need.

Dial-up :: Max 3
xDSL :: Max 4-6
Cable :: Max 10 (however half must be on-site)
Terminal 1 :: 16
Terminal 3 :: 128
Optical :: 65535

You will have to take into account the processing power required for each person as well though. Each player in UT2004 will need roughly 10MHz Processing power and 8MB Ram. So try to remember this; especially when putting together Server Farms; To calculate how much power each person will take you basically find out how fast the ping call back is for one person is, then calculate based on processor speed how fast it is going.

Although it wouldn't be a literal 10MHz, so thinking you can handle 1 person on a 286 or something; it is more a way of figuring out how many resources they take on a high end system.

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 00:28
Quote: "Maybe....dual xeons"

and then...

Quote: " never said anything about processor"

Hmm.

The 3d chat is coming...
Rights For Traffic Cones!
Mx5 kris
Years of Service
User Offline
oops. My mistake.

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 06:21
yeah he didn't know what Xeons were, Mnem.

Michael, my boy, when will you learn?

Remember, Jimmy still loves you.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 00:32:12
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 00:32:12