Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Half-Life 2: Your Thoughts, please.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 05:25
I am debating whether to buy this next, or save my money for some Nintendo DS games (I am getting a free Nintendo DS, and I plan to get the new Metroid for it since I am a huge Metroid fan). If I don't get HL2 or any DS games, I will probably save up until I get enough to buy myself some new Sabian cymbals for my drumset.

Anyway, I was reading on www.halflife2.net, and I read about it, and it seems pretty freakin' sweet. I also read that it ships with Counterstrike: Source, which is good, because I've been interested in Counterstrike, but never got the chance to go out and buy it.

So, what are your opinions on this game? Are ye planning on purchasing it? Etc.

"And C++ has 2 version Microsoft visual C++ and Bordland C++."
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 05:46
I dont know whether to get it or not - I dont like the fact that there needs to be an internet connection in order to play it.

Walk softly... and carry a big gun...
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 05:48
You only need an internet connection to activate the game - rather like Windows XP. You can play it without a connection.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 06:00
I plan on warezing it.

But seriously, I would have been buying it if I still had my desktop.
It looks worth the $50.

I say go with the sabians.

Remember, Jimmy still loves you.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 06:02
Quote: "So, what are your opinions on this game? Are ye planning on purchasing it?"

i'd like to know when it is *actually* comming out. Currently we're slated for 16th November, but after 3rd September was suppose to be a given because the game had already gone gold quite frankly... i've personally lost ALL interest in the game.

i sent off my ATi coupon last year for it, so really i should have it; but right now bah! is all i can say.
first the game is hacked, then they slipped past 6 set release dates, one of which since being gold and they've been fighting with VU over rights the past few months.

sorry but right now the whole drama has me thinking 'who the f**k cares anymore?' .. seriously. Doom3 had a reason for delay, Microsoft held them to a contract; and id actually too the time to reprogram the entire engine so that it was much faster on all hardware.

what exactly is the hold up for HL2?
i mean really even though the source was stolen, in the end everyone was amped about steam hacks... but that could've been solved very quickly and any other hacks; who the hell cares, either thier cheating themselves or they'd of found a way to do it anyways for online play. We could've all completed the game and be watching the plethera of MODs comming out by now.

But now Valve & Vivendi have screwed everyone over at every damn chance. Oooh so some hacks thier code, big freaking whoop; they were still guarenteed unpresidented sales, infact more so because people would've felt they should buy rather than pirate a copy simply to put up two finger to the hacker. cause you know everyone seems to liek running with the crowd, which were in an uproar.

Doom3 is out, has been for a while... it's SDK is out. I've seen ALOT of people moving mod projects from HL2 to D3 in the past few months because they're fed up of waiting.

Even more is if it is *really* comming out 16th, then WHERE THE HELL IS THE PROMISED SDK?!?

an SDK and a Performance Demo were promised to preceed the relase of the full game. I see niether!

Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 06:03
For all the cymbals I want, the price comes to be about $300

16" Crash
18" Crash/Ride
10" Splash
14" Hi-hats
16" China Crash

"And C++ has 2 version Microsoft visual C++ and Bordland C++."
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 06:06 Edited at: 9th Nov 2004 06:07
Raven:

Why don't you ask Gabe next time you have lunch with him?

I'm sure he'd be glad to give you another exclusive demo with the SDK.

For someone with so many connections at valve, you sure have a lot to cry about.

Zero:

Yeah go with those instead. Boom chicka KISHKISH CRRAAsMMMSSSHHH!!!

Remember, Jimmy still loves you.
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 06:13 Edited at: 9th Nov 2004 06:20
Raven,

HL2 SDK this week, but Source Engine SDK tools already released.

Edit:

Quote: "The SDK Tools that are now on Steam are only available to you if you have already purchased HL2/CS:S."

http://www.valve-erc.com/srcsdk/

Edit-so it dosen't stretch the topic
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_download.php?i=432486

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 06:28
My Birthday is on Nov 17, so Half life 2 fits in perfectly!

Guns arnt the problem, people are the problems, shoot all the people and guns arnt a problems anymore.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 06:33
Typical Raven. What a joke.

Raven, in this thread you claimed to have already played a full version of HL2:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&b=2&t=20541&p=2
(4th post down)

Why do you care when everyone else gets it? You've already completed it.

Care to name all the mod projects which have switched to Doom 3?
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 06:35
Quote: "You only need an internet connection to activate the game - rather like Windows XP. You can play it without a connection.
"

And some people say that the game itself needs to be connected to the internet.

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 06:36
probably be total garbage like DoomIII, if ever there was a waste of time that was it, I felt cheated that I had made a special trip into town to get a copy, I MIGHT get a copy of HL2 after trying it out at my mates, but it`s gonna have to be good, 99.99% of all games are 99.999% hype and very little substance nowdays, I rarely play games into the small hours anymore, the good ones are so rare and far between, I have literally given away carrier bags full of games that where not 1% of the hype in the press.

Mentor.

PC1: P4 3ghz, 1gig mem, 3x160gig hd`s, Radeon 9800pro w cooler (3rd gfx card), 6 way speakers.
PC2: AMD 2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra, 16 bit SB.
Mini ATX cases suck.
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 06:39 Edited at: 9th Nov 2004 06:43
Quote: "And some people say that the game itself needs to be connected to the internet.
"

Nope, no need to ever be connected to the net, except for activation. Valve did confirm that.

Personally, I'm liking the look of HL2, been watching gameplay vids for a while (Bink format is awesome). Gives me the same feeling i had when i first saw Half-Life 1 in a magazine.

Just wanted to add, i love the way that post was a year ago, and we we're talking about the "Extra 4 months" we had to wait.

Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 06:46
Half Life 2 is going to rock! Why you ask? Because it has one of the most moddable engines out there, and valve has made it quite easy for mod teams to port there HL mods to the source engine. Plus they already released the SDK, so the mods will start a rollin! Not only that but the game will be awsome! The physics engine will allow you to create your own little fort if you wanted to! Just drag some barrels here, a wooden plank there, and voila a fort! Plus the story is going to rock, and the graphics are pretty good. I am more excited about the mod scene than the game itself, hell the mods is a reason enough to buy it.

Guns arnt the problem, people are the problems, shoot all the people and guns arnt a problems anymore.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 07:06
Quote: "Typical Raven. What a joke.

Raven, in this thread you claimed to have already played a full version of HL2:"

A post from what, a year ago; you know how much could be changed since then?
Also if you cared to read properly, I had 3 episodes; the game has 12... so typical Chris, your spoutin' and linking without reading. no doubt just skimming.

no matter what versions I can get ahold of... I much prefer FULL OFFICIAL RETAIL versions of games.
I have the preview release of Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness on a few discs from there; I still went out and bought what was jokingly called the retail.

Further more a game is no sodding fun to play online if the only guys you ever play with are people with hacked illegal versions or the developers. And talking about the game is also a waste of time because no one has played it; so who the hell else can have an opinion on something that is just a video?! Well?

I'm a social gamer, I like playing things, playing with mates and talking about the experience. Further more alot of games will have alot changed during development... a good example is Doom3 which totally changed from Alpha->Gold; There were alot of things which were cut from the full title.

Creature used to hunt you, and weren't so many. Doors and Area of the level could be ripped apart and some of the station were interactive. (hell some of that stuff was in the leaked alpha) Now compare that to everything which was basically script driven in the full game... I have a feeling alot of taken out just so the X-Box version could retain some graphics and Box players wouldn't bitch that they're totally different gaming experiences.

Can you imagine what it would've been like if the PC version had monsters bursting through walls and doors at will; but the X-Box only had scripted events where that happened?

Quote: "Just wanted to add, i love the way that post was a year ago, and we we're talking about the "Extra 4 months" we had to wait."

heh, yeah... plus the obligitory year it appears

Quote: "HL2 SDK this week, but Source Engine SDK tools already released."

yeah they released them a lil while back when XSI HL2 Edition was released; they don't really mean alot without the SDK or an environment to test them in.

you have to admit this is all a total joke, even more that the entire script for the game was released with CS:Source.
everything about Valve has been a joke; and really thats part of why the anticipation is totally gone.

i'd of thought a while back getting my hands on some of the new preview stuff would've helped excite me; and it did, but then the whole 'court case' crap started and well... just can't get excited about crap like this. or atleast i can't.

Oraculaca
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 07:45
Quote: "so typical Chris, your spoutin' and linking without reading"

at least he does the linking bit
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 07:52
Nice to see Doom III already down to £17.99 at http://www.dvd.co.uk

Boo!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 08:13 Edited at: 9th Nov 2004 08:14
Keep the bickering off the thread please. I'm sure these tirades could be exchanged via email .

Here we go again!
TRANSGRESS AND I SHALT BAN YE! (Just kidding...)
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 09:55
Was playing through opposing force just now, noticed something in one of the offices I never noticed before.

Attached

Attachments

flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 10:30
lol, thats cool

I'm looking forward to the storyline. The engine isn't really revolutionary, and i've been modding D3 for a while, and i'm used to that style of engine. I just wanna see how that make a sequel to the incredible HL1

Join the Expert Discussion forums dag nammit!
http://www.expertdiscussion.com
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 10:50
Nice one EricT

Here we go again!
TRANSGRESS AND I SHALT BAN YE! (Just kidding...)
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 17:37
heh... employee of the month of the first day ^_^
iirc there is also a room with a britney poster, but that might've been EWC; can't remember.

i liked alot of the single player episodes in HL, some of them were pretty awesome, albiet a lil low quality. might be interesting to see what the communities makes with HL2.

there's already a Doom3 Add-on pack planned which should be cool

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 02:27 Edited at: 10th Nov 2004 02:31
It seems like you didn't read that thread Raven.

You claimed to have 8 episodes.
You also claimed to know the storyline and said you had "completed it". That's not the type of phrase you would use if you had only played a limited beta.

You also claimed to know what happens at the end.

What does happen at the end?

Please can you also name these "lots of mods" which have swicthed between HL2 and D3

Quote: "(hell some of that stuff was in the leaked alpha)"

No they weren't
Ali M Oldboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 02:47
Hmm...Half-Life 2?

Don't know really! But I'm really looking foward to
Halo 2, Don't you think so?

-ALI-

Why do I need a signature?
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 02:48
Please, is there any reason for egging him on? Raven obviously made a contradiction--- there's no point in repeatedly jabbing at him.

--[GameBasic - Coming Soon]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 02:57
I'll stop it now.

It's just so annoying how he lies the whole time then will never admit he's wrong.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 03:45 Edited at: 10th Nov 2004 03:45
I've already ordered HL2 direct from Valve and have most of it pre-loaded on my PC already (thanks Steam). Just waiting for the final release.

I will say this though - if HL2 is anything as superb as Counter Strike: Source, we're in for a treat! That game utterly rocks.

Cheers,

Rich

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 03:58
Rich - Which package did you order? I thought the Silver package was the best bang for the buck.

Ali M Oldboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 04:01
I guess you're right jeku

-ALI-

P.S. ChrisK -
Quote: "I'll stop it now.

It's just so annoying how he lies the whole time then will never admit he's wrong. "
<-- Who me?

Why do I need a signature?
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 04:12
Quote: " <-- Who me?"

No, not you.

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 05:59
Yeah I picked up the silver package also. I'm starting to get anxious with less then a week or so away.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 06:37
Does the new Counter-Strike have kick ass graphics and physics?
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 06:38
According to PC Format - no, it doesn't.

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 06:38 Edited at: 10th Nov 2004 06:38
In short, yes. (well since we replied at the same time, i beg to differ with PC Format)

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 06:46
Here I grabbed a quick screen (attached) of my dead body.

Attachments

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 06:47
CS:Source has awesome graphics and physics--- some of those mag editors have been desensitized

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 06:50
Awesome.

Does it come with HL2?
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 06:51
Yeah, its the multiplayer for HL2 (they scrapped the deathmatch for now).

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 06:55
Great.
I don't think they should have scrapped deathmatch though, I loved Crossfire & the one where you could set of the nuclear bomb and you had to run under the safety doors just in time.

Is there still Team Fortress? and CS-ASSAULT? and DE-DUST? They were my favourit CS levels.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 06:58 Edited at: 10th Nov 2004 07:02
EDGE gave Half-Life 2 10/10

- Enough said. Only 4 other games in Edge's 10-year history have ever been awarded this score, not including the original Half-Life.

Quote: "And talking about the game is also a waste of time because no one has played it; so who the hell else can have an opinion on something that is just a video?! Well?"

There, there Raven. I'm sure Chris will ask permission before daring to have an opinion of his own next time. Not that such a minor detail has ever stopped someone such as yourself having an opinion Raven.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 07:02
Team Fortress has been midst of a remake for a few years now. They won't release any details on it, so I have no clue.

No Assault yet, but Dust and Dust2 are there, office, aztec, havana, and a couple others. When HL2 comes out, supposedly they are gonna add a bunch of maps. So we shall see.

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 07:05
PC Gamer 96%
PC Gameplay (NL) 90%
PC Format (UK/SL) 96%
PC Zone (UK) 97%
PC Gamer (US) 98%
GMC (IT) 9/10
SCORE (CZ) 97%
PC Games (DE) 96%
EDGE (UK) 10/10
SPT (DE) 93.5%
PC Action (DE) 94%
PC Jeux (FR) 96%
HYPER (AU) 95%
Gamestar (US) 5/5
PC Games (HU) 98%

And according to the article, PC Gameplay gave it a 90% because of the lack of deathmatch.

Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 07:40
Who needs deathmatch! I like playing team matches alot more than deathmatches. By the way, does CS source have mic support? I really like that feature.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 22:44
Well, I've pre-ordered HL2 from Amazon (for once they're cheaper than Play.com)...

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 23:25
Quote: "Rich - Which package did you order? I thought the Silver package was the best bang for the buck."

Gold, because I want the nice special edition box and posters

As far as the game is concerned, makes no difference which package you get I know, but I want all the extra stuff.

CS: Source is awesome, I play it loads at the moment. The attention to detail is so cool, shooting up the PCs in the office hostage map, the gunfire.. ah, everything. Uber cool.

Cheers,

Rich

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 04:00
Can you use a mic on CS source??????

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 04:23
Yes.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 05:14
CS Source is just Counter-Strike, using the Source (HL2) Engine.
Same gameplay, better graphics and physics. Suppose to be better sound too but personally i think the surround makes the weapons sound kinda weak.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 05:17
Less than a week to go

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 05:19
Its a painful wait

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 00:20:47
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 00:20:47