Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / GEME - map editor

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 18:35
not game, geme. As is Game Environment Map Editor. (i just wanted a cool acronym for my project) It's a 2D tile map editor I made over the weekend. A grid can be shown or hidden overlaying the map.

"eureka" - Archimedes
Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 20:24 Edited at: 19th Feb 2005 01:29
Looks good - I like to grass>dirt>water transistions.. THe trees still look a little blocky though.. Still - VERY good!! I always liked overhead shooting type games like Canon Fodder!!

My Website:
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 21:11
i like warcraft 2 too. What format does it save the map as? your own or jsut a bmp.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 00:03
Warcraft 2 artwork, for the person who apparently didn't know.
Technically, the format will be my own. (haven't written it yet) The idea is to create an easy and universal format so that you could load the map into anything you wanted. A document will be made available showing how the format is written so that programmers can write their own importers. Naturally, I will write a DB one myself. There are two files that are created, the map itself and the tileset. The map is basically saved as a block of numbers, with each number representing an image. The tileset saves the relation between the images and their corresponding numbers. As of now, two formats are planned for the tileset: absolute and relative. The absolute tileset will save the full path name of every image in the file. The relative, of course, will only save the image's name and not its full path. The relative will also store the folder's name in which all those images exist. Because its relative, all image must exist within the same folder.
I'm open to suggestions on other ways to format the file.

"eureka" - Archimedes
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 04:41
really nice

will surely be useful for 2D rpgs

Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 04:46
Looks sweet. Nice one.

You are not alone.
gothboy 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2004 13:27
Looks like RPG Maker's editor. nice

Are you ready to experience advanced gaming?
http://www.dragonseige.tk
Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 01:33
This wouldn't necessarily be limited to 2D..

I nice game could be made in 3D, use the made and load textures as tiles.

Is it possible to UV Map a mesh with more than 1 texture?

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 23:13
Yes, but DB only supports 1 texture layer.
Having a bit of trouble with loading files into DB. When thats sorted out, I'll have a demo.

"eureka" - Archimedes
Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 23:29
Cool.. I know how you'd do it!! BRAIN WAVE ALERT!!

Firstly, make a grid of all your texture choices (like corner of water, etc).

THEN work out where they are on the grid in terms of 0.0-1.0 range (so if your image is 512x52, each tile is 64x64, then you can calculate the fraction of where it is.. if I am making sense)..

THEN when you make your mesh, set it up as a grid. Then at each vertice give it a UV coord based on the 0.0-1.0 range you have calculated.

I might make a demo of this in a min.. Would be very useful Hehe..

Phaelax - may I see what you have so far for this idea? Of course once its done, you can have the 3D Terrain code..
If not, I'll do it myself as a new project running parallel with my GraviKill

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2004 02:12
unless you know java, i think it will just confuse you. the code is pretty simple, but most of what I have typed is only in java, so not much can be applied to DB itself.
Basically, I have a list of tiles. All seperate images individually loaded. Though in DB, you could easily split a single image into many. I use a table for the map, and set the image for each tile using an index number that references each image. So basically the map looks like this:

Think of each number number as an image number in db, and that map written as a series of DATA statements. I suppose this could be written in DB quite easily, but I find the GUI stuff in java even easier.

I'm writing the DB importer functions right now actually. I should have a public alpha available within the hour.

"eureka" - Archimedes
Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2004 02:55 Edited at: 14th Nov 2004 02:58
Well I have desgiend a 3D version of a 2D Terrain Maker.. It probably wont be as polished as urs Phalex - but feel free to use it in anyway u like.

Its based around your idea, but slightly different technique.

There is ONE image template.. Currently its hard coded to accept:
a file called: map.png
Dimensions: 256x256
Tile Size: 32x32

But I can easily make it either "settings.ini" based.. Or you can just edit the source which is available.

It then precalculates the UV Map for each tile. It then loads a map.txt where it gets a tile count, tile width, tile depth and data. The data is basically the same as yours.. A tile ID.
Each tile is numbered consecutively in rows from 0-63. There are also special tile ID's such as:
-1 : Not present (ie invisible/not drawn)
-2 : End of Row
-3 : End of File

I THINK my one should be able to have dynamic rows (ie if only the first tile is used in a row then you only need to apply that tile, no need to pad out with -1's.. I haven't test that though.

Anywho.. Screeny attached. Go to my website and select 2D Terrain Maker from the Project Menu.
OR (for those too lazy) here is a direct link to that project:
http://www.thingy-ma-jig.co.uk/show_project.php?pid=12

SCREENY:

[EDIT]
Just remembered.. It wouldn't be too hard to implement a fake heightmap to this. I dunno how it'd look..

Basically, you'd modify the angle of the Normal (per vertice) as if it was at an angle on a real terrain, but you leave it flat. This would mean when you rotate the camera with a light it would shade the terrain differently based on the Normal at that vertice. If that makes sense...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2004 04:48
new plan. It'll get done when it gets done! I'm getting sick of this cross-platform crap.

"eureka" - Archimedes
Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2004 04:50 Edited at: 14th Nov 2004 04:51
Huh? Wassup?

I have updated my version at my site.. It now uses a settings.ini and some other stuff.. Check it out if you want.. I'm also gonna post this as another WIP as its a little different to yours.. unless you'd rather I didnt?!

[EDIT] New Screeny

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2004 17:55
yea, stop hijacking my thread!

"eureka" - Archimedes
Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2004 19:11
Hehe.. I wasn't hijacking!! Lol.. I made this little demo thingy cos I thought it might be of some use to you.

You dont HAVE to make it in 3D, you could always set the camera to view from above. The same principle of 1 image and 64 tiles still applies. The frame rate should also be pretty impressive considering how low poly it is and that it is a simple mesh.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2004 01:01
I "believe" I have the DBP import code, but it doesn't seem to like gif files. I've been too lazy to convert them all and resave the map. I'll try to do that today, and release a demo showing how to load the files into an actual scrollable map.

"eureka" - Archimedes

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 02:29:53
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 02:29:53