Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / a new computer

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 04:04 Edited at: 10th Nov 2004 04:05
Since now I have no computer at home, I've decided to purchase one from the place I work.

For 30 dollars I can cram what I can of the parts they have

So, I've 2 2gb HDD, one digital audio capable cd-rom reading at 16x, one floppy drive.. 56k modem and 10/100 nic card..

I've the slave hdd and cdrom on the same ide chain, and the master hdd on it's own, I'll be installing windows 2000 pro.. I plan to use the slave for most of my files and for virtual memory..

As for a graphics card, I was thinking about purchasing perhaps geforce 4 mx.. Would it be worth the time since it's installed in a 166hz machine?

It contains 32mb RAM which I will also upgrade to max capacity.. when I figure out what kind I need^_^

Nothing like a second hand pc

And it has good karma, I used that very case/mobo to teach kids how computers work

[center]
Come write!
Yarr join LoGD, and defeat other coders!
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 04:09 Edited at: 10th Nov 2004 04:12
Ummm. Geforce 4 would do nothing for a 166mhz as they are too slow to run most high end games anyway.

Remember that if its old then the memory is proberly SIMM memory and it will be hard to find cheap memory for it as the modern standard is DIMM

Windows 2000 will take up the best half of a 2gb hdd, I would reccomend something along the lines of 95 or 98.

You can proberly get a decent machine for about £300 but I don't know how much that is in dollars.

That setup you described would basicly be useless for DBPRO. Go for something a little better I say. You are getting what you're paying for

Cheers, Pricey

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 04:11
actually 2000 takes up about 500 mb.. it's rather small and runs just as well as 95..

And I said a geforce 4 mx.. which is a updated geforce 2^_^

I want to be able to play some older games on it, but I don't expect to be playing doom3

[center]
Come write!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 05:48
Cool

[center]
forget as boolean : forgive as boolean : if forgive=1 : forget=0 : else : forgive=1 : endif
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 08:42 Edited at: 10th Nov 2004 08:43
I'm installing 2000 on it as we speak..

I couldn't get it to recognize the second hdd.. I aslo couldn't figure out the master/slave jumper settings on the cd-rom

Until I saw another drive with the text::

That's when I realized I had the cd-rom set to slave, because on my current drive only the csm/sla are above the jumpers, which didn't make sense without the labels I have both the hdd and cd-rom set to slave on the secondary ide chain, and only the cdrom works..

I also don't see a digital audio connection on the mobo, so I may have to rummage through sound cards..

[center]
Come write!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2004 02:35
166mhz? my 133 runs a trident card!

"eureka" - Archimedes
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 01:11 Edited at: 13th Nov 2004 01:11
LOL...

Actually I've been using it the last two days, and it works a charm..

I even put Aston shell on it and it runs beautifully..

Sure there's a short wait for things to load, but it's not bad at all. Would probably be even better if I had more than 64mb of RAM in there..

It's a nice little computer, probably will never see the likes of DB, but for writing and internet uses it's wonderful.

It runs MS Outlook and Access, and StarOffice7 all just fine.. With the windows cdplayer going in the background.

[center]
Come write!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 00:32:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 00:32:51