Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / I am brand new to Darkbasic, I need oto know some things. Please Help...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, I'm brand new, I don't even have my darkBASIC program yet. but, does that 700 page tutorial book they sell on the site help at all, or is it more expensive than its worth. if it is? how can i learn the language? just online? Please Help Me, thanks in advance

Welcome to Hypocrite In A Box, May I change your order?
SAnTA
Years of Service
User Offline
Personally i havent seen the book so i cant comment on it but i have found darkbasic very easy to pick up, perhaps because i used to mess about with amos as a kid.

The help files that come with dark basic are great lots and lots of examples. If you look around the site you will see lots of tutorials, theirs several pinned at the top of the new comers forum. Also look at the code from the code base, if you dont understand what a command is used for look it up in the help file. It will give you a good understanding if you put time and effort into it. Should you get stuck Dark basic has a fantastic bunch of people on these forums that are always willing to help with problems.

If you look the book up on amazon.com theirs a few reviews and a little excerpt from the book... Looking at the table of contents it certainy seems to cover everything you will need to undertand to be able to create your own stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1592000096/qid=1100142917/sr=8-3/ref=pd_csp_3/102-4067598-9118562?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

then click the cover

And remember if you do buy the book and you dont like it well.... theirs always ebay
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 23:25
Read "My First Pong Game" on this board.
Shadowed Lightning
Years of Service
User Offline
SaNtA, I was on Amazon powersearching boks 2 days ago, yeah, its just like my blitz basic book, but its 43 dollars on amazon, 73 dollars here, i think im gonna getdark basic off of amazon or here or sumthin, then ask for the book for christas to save myself some money. ChrisK, I read ur tutorial my first pong game 3 days ago, thats what pushed me over the edge into wanting to get darkbasic, i saw what u could do with pong in 3D on darkbasic so easily and understood it, then i rememberred my pong on blitzbasic which was like 3 pages of code that was 2 dimensional, so thanks guys, i think im gonna get it, one last thing, should i buy darkbasic classic or professional first, because i heard professional has types, which i am fond of, but is also more expensive, and where should i get it, amazon or here? and whats the down sides to the electronic versions on this site?

Thanks Guys, cool tutorial Chris, you should put that on a site if you already havent

Shadowed Lightning
Years of Service
User Offline
Anybody there? lolz, sry, im trying to decide what to do and/or get THIS weekend, because i wanna get it asap so i can start.

VietDao
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 14:37
Hi,
If you did know something about programming (basic knowledge on FUNCTION, DATA TYPE, STACKS, FILES, etc...), then buying the book is not a serious need. Just because when you purchase the DarkBasic or DarkBasic Pro, you will always receive a manual containing all commands and stuffs like that. Also,... there will be Help in DarkBasic programme, also shows you what's on the manual, in case you lose it.
And about what to choose between DarkBasic and DarkBasic Pro. I'd recommend DarkBasic pro one. There, the programming environment will be friendlier, and some more commands are available. I remember buying it for $ 84.99. Don't know how much it is now!!!
Just choose the store you like: Amazon or here is both fine...
That's it,
Bye then,
SAnTA
Years of Service
User Offline
personal opinion get pro dont erven think about saving cash by buying classic. If you are still considering get the demos of both play around for a hour with each then you will probably agree with me
Shadowed Lightning
Years of Service
User Offline
Viet Dao, thanks, I know everything about Functions, if thens, elses, loops, integers, strings, blah blah blah... so ill try it out, I played with pro yesterday and i love it compared to classic, i like the programs appearance, and everything about it... so im going with that, im gonna get it off of ebay where its cheapest lol, thanks.
SAnTA,already did, i do agree with you, thanks for ur help.

on more thing, some terms on the forums, what does sticky, or stick, or whatever mean?
thanks guys, expect to be hearing from me as I progress in learning the code, lol, i cant wait for me to change status from a newbie, so my posts dont have to be checked

Shadowed Lightning
Years of Service
User Offline
Pro is 80.99 on amazon, ill get that, some more questions lol, sry to burden u, but im new, and thats what this forum is for lol.

ok, so, i can jump into 3d without learning 2d right? and it wont have much of an effect on my coding capabilities?

and what graphics program should i use? like maya? canvas pro? or what, if maya, where can i get a converter for import and exports for the .x format?

VietDao
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 21:47 Edited at: 13th Nov 2004 23:18
Hi,
'Newbies' are not correctly used here as it does not reffer to the people who haven't got DarkBasic Pro or Classic one, or are new at it. They are the people who have just signed-up (like you, 3 or 4 days ago). And all the posts they post will be checked until a specific time. From that time on, your post will no longer be checked. You understand?
Sticky thread means the tread that is becoming more popular as many people reply it (as I think, hope it's right!)
Hope this help
Bye then,
1tg46
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 22:50
That book really helped me, and if you want the book at a discount, go to amazon.com and get one used or new and it is half the pric. I got mine for $35. And even though it says used or new when you click the link, you can brand new copies for a lower price.

Regards,
1tg46

Click the sig
SAnTA
Years of Service
User Offline
Sticky is when a topic is pinned (stuck) so it always apears at the top of the list of messages like the My First Pong Game tutorial thats always at the top of the newcomers forum.

I mentioned ebay as a way to get rid of ya book if you bought it and found it wasnt right for you but your right its a great place to buy just about anything I also bought my dark basic pro off ebay for £25 absolute bargain.
Shadowed Lightning
Years of Service
User Offline
k, thanks everyone! I didn't mean to say newbie, meant to say newcomer, lol, ok, so im practicing with darkbasic pro trial right now, i am just playing with a sphere on the screen, i see the list of functions, but i cant figure out how to move my sphere on the z axis as i press forward and backward, i also cant figure out how to make my object rotate on its own axis so you can move it while it is rotating so it looks like it rolls, i tried with roll and pitch, but when it moves, it does loops, any body can help me?
thanks

Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2004 06:55
I got the book, and it helped some what. It had been a long time since i had done any coding, and I was not very serious about it then, so it helped with the basics. One thing you need to know about the book, is that it does not discuss much about 3-D programming, which is where DB really shines. Instead, it goes over the basics of programming, and has a good 2-D section. The reason for the lack of 3-D, is because it is a very complex subject, and the book was already on page 500 or so when it finished 2-D. I guess it helped, as it definetly helped me to better understand the way the DB works.

"What is a game if not illusions stacked upon illusions?"
SAnTA
Years of Service
User Offline
well, im not much of a 3d programmer, i bought DB for its 2d commands. I just wrote a small programme to move a sphere in the way you asked, theirs probably better ways to do this but this works

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2004 18:46
rolling a sphere eh?

sphere rolling on a plain, I used a combination of position and pitch to do it, since the sphere had a diameter of 1 then the circumference was 3.141592654... (Pi), so the distance it has to move forwards to allow for one degree of roll is Pi/360, thats where the magic number 0.00873 comes from (actualy I rounded it since an error of one in 100000 isn`t that noticable imo)

Mentor.

PC1: P4 3ghz, 1gig mem, 3x160gig hd`s, Radeon 9800pro w cooler (3rd gfx card), 6 way speakers.
PC2: AMD 2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra, 16 bit SB.
Mini ATX cases suck.
Shadowed Lightning
Years of Service
User Offline
ive decided to practice and get into 3d my first ever goal and challenge as a darkbasic programmer is making a simple primitive world. Anybody whod like to give tips on how to make the camera follow a character you control please do so. heres what im aiming for:

A simple program where you can move around a sphere on the z axis and x axis so you can go forward backward, right, and left, and walk in circles and such, and i want to have a rectangular prism as the ground but i think i can get that part, i want the camera to follow the sphere as you move it, want i dont quite get is basically anything about the camera... tahnks for all those who have helped me and allwho will help me!

Shadowed Lightning
Years of Service
User Offline
here is what i have so far, constructively criticise if you dont mindm lol. thankyou again

Shadowed Lightning
Years of Service
User Offline
oops, didnt work, to post a snippet, what do u do?

Dylnuge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2004 08:03
Use code and /code to post to snippet and put your code in between. A sticky is set by a moderator and remains at the top of the board until it is unset by the mod. Usually they are usefull posts that pertain to the subject (even the most usefull DBPro post wont become sticky in the DB Classic fourm, it will more likely be locked). DBPro is more powerfull then DB Classic, but just as easy to use (and with a Windows GUI too). The book is the very basics, it covers more first time programming in general then game-making. I'd only get it if you are compleatly new and have time to use both the book and the fourms/tutorials to learn.

Tranzerk Technologies Current Project: The Mindoph World Wars
"This appears to be quite a perdiciment" - FLUDD, Super Mario Sunshine
Aoneweb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2004 09:43
A book is in the pipeline from TGC, may be worth waiting for that.

Toshiba Sattelite, 2GHz,Nvidia GeForce4 420go, Windows XP Home. www.aoneweb.com
Shadowed Lightning
Years of Service
User Offline
ok, thanks everybody, well, my code got deleted, i save it as a project, but when i go to open it, ill open the project, and nothing is there, any suggestions? thanks everyone, so far what i had was the sphere rolling on the z and x axis, it was very neatly organized, commented, and easy to read... lol

Shadowed Lightning
Years of Service
User Offline
Never mind, sorry about that, I just figured out what I was doing wrong, I was saving it in the texture folder for some reason, not the project folder, thanks any way though. Might someone be able to help me out with how to fix the camera to follow an object? so that when the sphere rolls around, the camera will follow it.

Shadowed Lightning
Years of Service
User Offline
code

Sync on : Sync rate 35

all()

function all()

load()
makeobjects()
setcamerapos()
mainloop()

endfunction

function mainloop()

do

moveobjects()
editobjects()

sync
loop

endfunction

function makeobjects()

make object sphere 1,1
show object 1

endfunction

function editobjects()

rem had a texture for the object here but i wasn't going to put the file online

endfunction

function moveobjects()

if upkey() = 1
position object 1, object position x (1), object position y (1), object position z (1)+.01746
xrotate object 1, object angle x (1)+2
position camera camera position x (0) , camera position y (0), camera position z (0)+.01746
endif

if downkey() = 1
position object 1, object position x (1), object position y (1), object position z (1)-.01746
xrotate object 1, object angle x (1)-2
position camera camera position x (0) , camera position y (0), camera position z (0)-.01746
endif

if leftkey() = 1
position object 1, object position x (1)+.01746, object position y (1), object position z (1)
zrotate object 1, object angle z (1)+2
position camera camera position x (0)+.01746 , camera position y (0), camera position z (0)
endif

if rightkey() = 1
position object 1, object position x (1)-.01746, object position y (1), object position z (1)
zrotate object 1, object angle z (1)-2
position camera camera position x (0)-.01746 , camera position y (0), camera position z (0)
endif

endfunction

function load()

rem used to be texture here but i wasn't going to bother putting that online for you to test

endfunction

function setcamerapos()

position camera camera position x(0)+1, camera position y(0)+2, camera position z(0)-2
point camera object position x (1), object position y (1), object position z (1)

endfunction

/code

thats what i have, i think the camera is following it, but i dont have a textured ground to see if it is actually moving or not, but im having a problem with it, the sphere will roll forward and backwards fine (note, the camera angle is off at a 3rd person type of angle) but when i go left and right, it messes up the position of the x axis, if you cant piccture what im saying, take that code and run it in dbpro... i took out the texture so u need to texture it yourself to see if it is moving easier or not... thanks

Shadowed Lightning
Years of Service
User Offline
ok everybody, sry for all this confusion, im new and really dont know what im doing lol.
what i need help with, is how to roll the sphere on the z AND x axis, like for example, i dont think this is how to do it because its not quite rotating right in my program... but this is how it is in mine:

that should roll it on the z axis when you go left and right, so it rolls left and right, and on the x axis when you go forward and backward. but when i roll to the right or the left, the x axis rolls with it so when i try to roll foward again it rolls at a weird angle that doesn't look right, like it is spinning while it moves forward.

I would strongly appreciate help with that, thankyou everybody

SAnTA
Years of Service
User Offline
Whats with all the functions

Aint time to look at your code right now have to go work in about 6 minutes CRY will have a look later if no one else has done
Shadowed Lightning
Years of Service
User Offline
sry, im used to functions, i love functions, i dont know the diferrence between gosub and function, if there is one, please tell me, i thought they were th ssame.... thankyou

Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2004 20:21
gosub works just like a loop when defined variables are not unique to it and function has variables that are just unique to it...

Making better games everday!
Oh yeah and just so you know its Oh-nek-a not One-ka!
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2004 02:35
Functions are what the cool kids use.
Shadowed Lightning
Years of Service
User Offline
lol, ok, thanks ChrisK and Oneka, BTW ChrisK, Alien Rampage, good job

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 05:34:45
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 05:34:45