Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Free particles library

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2004 03:48 Edited at: 12th Nov 2004 23:44
Hey all,

since tgc has created the particles dll and many people are reluctant to buy things off the net, i figured id have a bash at making an alternative myself, click the download button at the bottom right for it,

for it to compile you require sparkys collision dll ( [href]http://sparky152.homestead.com/files/DBPcollisions_v1.08b.zip [/href] ), which is working to an extent sofar but it will be further refined so you can have your particles bouncing off walls and such, i slapped up this small demo with fire, and you can make smoke sparks the lot,

in future versions i will add working rotation of particles so they can spew out of an airvent or pipe, and collision for the particles for example if you were using sparks they could land on a surface then fade out or bounce off the surface, and to come will be different types of emmitters such as vortex rain etc etc,

if you have any more ideas of possible additions then im sure it will help the community alot

[edit] since my make_particles function may seem a lil complex ill quicly explain it.

make_particles(1,200,15.0,2,"fire.bmp",0,90)

the 1st value (1) ~ is the number of the particles similar to an object number 255 is the limit which can be chaged to whatever.

the 2nd value (200) ~ is the ammount of particles the emitter will have, this value is constant and cannot be changed in realtime.

the 3rd value (15.0) ~ is the size in dbp units of the particles, if they are spark particles then x will be this value and z will be this size/10 so they are longer than they are wide.

the 4th value (2) ~ is the style of particle, a value of 1 will create a spark like particle with a solid colour and a value of 2 will create a box shaped particle with a texture that you specify in the 5th value.

the 5th value ("fire.bmp") ~ is the texture you wish to apply to all the particles on this emmitter, you must specify a texture if your 4th value is 2.

the 6th value (0) ~ is if the particles get effected by light i dont really see the point in this command but if you wanted some sort of mist under a streetlight then the particle should be tinted with the colour provided a light is pointed at its position.

the 7th value (90) ~ is the die/dropoff value, this is specified as a % value, this is used in accordance with the set_particle_life command, so if i set the life to 1 second and set the dropoff to 50 then after 1/2 a second and particle will start to fade, if i put a value of 1 then the particle would start to fade almost instantaniously.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2004 23:43
ok since none of you like any effort done by anyone on these board in an attempt to help the community i will upload a pic, if still no one cares then more pics untill i get replys.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 01:27
I like this idea of it - tell me.. Is it frame rate based? The built in particles BIGGEST let down for me was the facy they weren't frame rate limited...

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 01:53
I believe they are . DC and I had a discussion on msn where I explained in great detail how I would go about making the emmisions and updating of the particles timer based.... then he said he'd already done it that way .

Isn't it? Wasn't it? Marvellous!
Essence
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 04:49
is there a way to use this in DBC ?
Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 05:55 Edited at: 13th Nov 2004 06:09
Arghh yee wee begger ! sounds very similar to mine, does look very good though, what does your use sparky's collision for, do the particles move round objects.
Downloading now to check it out.
Baggers

<edit>
fast and smooth, looks very animated for a single texture (just like mine !) yeah good job !
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 06:39
in this demo the particles have no collision, but you can set the particles to hit and stay on an object or bounce off them, the bouncing only works correctly on the y axis tho, i could just remove it if you see no point in particles having collision

Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 07:41
Yeah - just ran it.. they look nice!! Keep up the work..

The thing I have always wanted a nice particle emmitter for is a rocket booster type thing..

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 08:24
well you could flip the emitters gravity so the particles fire downwards,

ok i thought of a few more thimgs to add, like friction to the particles say if you wanted an explosion the particles would fire out fast then slow down and die, and i think i may aswell remove the collision, save people installing a dll to run it and seems rather pointless, how many games have colliding particles, maybe for snow or something though.

Mx5 kris
Years of Service
User Offline
says error at line 56.

Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 17:51
@mx5 kris

You need to install sparky's collision dll. It sucks, I know

Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 19:28
I had that problem.. basically chuck the collision.dll into the plugins-user (that "-user" is VEEERY important!!)...

This could be a nice piece of work though!

@dark coder: Without wanting to read through all your code right now (because I'm a lazy git) how many objects does 1 particle thing take up? Are you doing multiple objects or single with limbs?

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 21:17 Edited at: 13th Nov 2004 21:20
depends, each emmitter can have a maximum of 1000 particles, you can specify this number in the make_particles command, the fire demo has 200 particles.

and they use object numbers 3000000 and over, not sure how many people would use those

[edit] for those of you who are too lazy to install the sparkys collision ive removed the collision code in this one

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 02:22:54
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 02:22:54