Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Who owns the Moon?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2004 05:46 Edited at: 12th Nov 2004 05:46
My thread entitled: "NASA: Project Constellation" appears to have been hijacked by comments about who owns the Moon.

The answer is simple. Noone owns the Moon or, just as accurately, we all own the Moon, collectively.

The basis for this is Articles 1 and 2 of the UN Outer Space Treaty 1966: http://disarmament.un.org:8080/TreatyStatus.nsf/0/ceb6f0228d44f51e852568770079dd95?OpenDocument and Article 11 of the subsequent 1979 Agreement Governing the Activities of States on the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies ("The Moon Agreement"): http://www.unog.ch/disarm/distreat/moon.htm.

Cheers

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2004 05:52
No-one does. Also you can't have stars named after you (comets yes, everything else no)

[center]int N30F15H,a=1; do { N30F15H++; } while (a==1);
[center]
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2004 06:05
USA owns the moon muaha ha ha ha ha ha ha, or atleast we are the only country with a flag up there! Nah, I know, the Moon is still unclaimed territory, who would want it anyway?

Guns arnt the problem, people are the problems, shoot all the people and guns arnt a problems anymore.
Mx5 kris
Years of Service
User Offline
I would. The moons resources in soil could provide enough to make the earth covered in small particles of Iron and stone for....3 weeks. Collectivly this is so much recorces, we would have much more.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2004 06:13
Though I like the general idea of the agreement,

Quote: "1. The provisions of this Agreement relating to the moon shall also apply to other celestial bodies within the solar system, other than the earth, except in so far as specific legal norms enter into force with respect to any of these celestial bodies."

That last bit will make it completely defunct once commercial colonization or mining becomes mainstream. Who gets to use what, and where? Who gives them the right too? Oh well, we'll burn that bridge when we get there-- for now, as I said, I like the general idea.

[center]
forget as boolean : forgive as boolean : if forgive=1 : forget=0 : else : forgive=1 : endif
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2004 06:21
I read in Schott's Original Mischellany that there was an act passed that forbid any nation laying claim to the Moon or any other planets in our solar system.

Some guy realised that it didn't stop individuals doing it so he just claimed Jupiter etc. as his property.

I thought that was why they could sell pieces of the Moon.

I'll try and find the guy's name. (It's not the best book for finding a specific thing)
Sparda
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2004 06:45
Did anybody know that the name of the moon is actually Moon? Weird how everybody calls it the moon, when it really is just Moon.

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2004 07:09
I thought it was Luna.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2004 07:23
Konrad is correct, the International Astronomical Union officially declared the names simple as 'Moon', 'Earth', and 'Sun'. The terms Luna (Moon), Terra (Earth), and Sol (Sun) aren't the official names, they're simply terms seen in science fiction novels.

"Computers are useless - They can only give you answers."
Mx5 kris
Years of Service
User Offline
They are the latin terms. Just like we live in the sol system (sun system)

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2004 07:28
I own the moon dammit. Stay off my moon you dorks.

-Progress chart
3d engine: 46% physics: 67% AI: 89% Sanity: -51%
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2004 08:50
@Mouse

Once commercial exploitation of space becomes possible it will probably become necessary to amend the Treaties. Besides, not all countries have even ratified them yet.

All law is ultimately a reflection of the culture that creates it. As time changes so too does culture and so too does its law. Legal academics write very interesting learned discussions on this very topic.

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2004 11:09
It's whoever has put a stake on it, and we got the only flag there!

"eureka" - Archimedes
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2004 11:15
Quote: " It's whoever has put a stake on it, and we got the only flag there!"

Dang right! When can I move in?

Guns arnt the problem, people are the problems, shoot all the people and guns arnt a problems anymore.
The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2004 11:24
I want to ride on the pretty rocket ship! "Lets all go to Moon" sounds funny. Sounds like something a cave-man would say.

Home of DOOP, Strata Works, and Height
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2004 12:42
Infidels... the aliens got there first

[center]
The majority of voters agree that 49% != wrong.
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
no one owns it, but then use the argument to say "who owns earth?" it was given to us in the same way the moon was. so shouldnt we be free to rome around earth as we want, and surely its wrong to own private land

ok, so no-one owns the moon, but why why why did u plant the us flag there and not a flag to symbolise the world? your flag, but not your moon! MY MOON!!!

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2004 18:03
Quote: "It's whoever has put a stake on it, and we got the only flag there!

"

if it weren't for us aussies you wouldn't have video footage on your televisions of it happening, so we lay claim to some of it.also there was all the speculation on america not makign it to the moon but instead faking it.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2004 19:10
We landed on the moon!?

YAY!!! WE LANDED ON THE MOON!

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2004 19:22
Why dont beers shit in the woods for 6 months of the year?

Sorry is that not relevent? That'd be because moon ownership isn't relevent now either - the law on ownership will be redefined when it becomes possible to get their cheaply enough to exploit it, should it be worth exploiting.

What I meen by this is, whatever we say now about how we'd like moon ownership to work will change when some industry fat cat 1%'er decides to pay whatever he needs to pay to have the law suite his new industry creating jobs in the provinces of the law makers...

Which is the biggest tool? The computer, or the muppet who invented it?
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2004 20:23
Quote: "Why dont beers shit in the woods for 6 months of the year?"

Because beers can't shit.

"Computers are useless - They can only give you answers."
flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2004 22:11
unless they're really old, then they are/can

Join the Expert Discussion forums dag nammit!
http://www.expertdiscussion.com
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 01:34
I get it... "CAN" ahhaahahahaha

I think Mexico owns Moon.

Remember, Jimmy still loves you.
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
i reckon america's secretly put a secret base up there. it's basically america mk2. its got a giant UFO research lab, a survalence system and some grandoise mansions for the leaders of the illuminate

Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
My geography teacher owns the moon aparantly. She bought some mushrooms at the heritage market and after she ate them, she went to the moon and wrote her name on with tomato sause. Its true

Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
lol, my ex geography teacher WAS the moon

Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 05:31
Helium-3 is a very potent source of clean energy.
There is an extremely large amount of helium-3 on the moon - enough to feed the worlds power needs for centuries. Now when we got the technology to build a mining colony on the moon there will be no need for fossil fuel.
But imagine China got there first? Look at all the trouble we have now because of oil. Imagine USA fighting China over who owns the moon.

The word "Gullible" cannot be found in any English Dictionary.
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
What if the moon lost so much weight, that it fell to Earth, then Earth fell to the sun?

Quote: "I've seen the word programming and I'm not sure what it means. Anybody please explain?"

Quote: "We shouldn't sacrifice the truth to preserve "balance"."
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 07:30
Riiiiight.

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 07:39
There is no flag on the moon-- that entire thing was staged by Nasa and faked. Just wait until another country goes looking for the flag and sees it was all a farce. Muhahaha.

--[GameBasic - Coming Soon]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 07:59
See if when I get rich (IF I DO!) and no one has really done anything with the moon iam gonna start a colony and dub it ZION and hmm....

Making better games everday!
Oh yeah and just so you know its Oh-nek-a not One-ka!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 08:27
Quote: "that entire thing was staged by Nasa and faked."

Out of curiosity, was that clever satire, or are you actually of that opinion .

[center]
The majority of voters agree that 49% != wrong.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 08:52 Edited at: 13th Nov 2004 08:53
Quote: "Out of curiosity, was that clever satire, or are you actually of that opinion"

There's so much evidence against the moon landing that it's hard to put any trust in the "truth". It wouldn't be the first time a government has blown smoke in our faces.

That topic is for another day, and I'll state now that I don't want to argue it with anyone

--[GameBasic - Coming Soon]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 09:07
some guys is selling real estate for the moon.
http://www.lunarregistry.com/?source=gmoon

I dont think its valid tho.

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
That's convincing.
*wonders weither he should buy it or not*

Quote: "I've seen the word programming and I'm not sure what it means. Anybody please explain?"

Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 09:16 Edited at: 13th Nov 2004 09:17
@Jeku.. There was an interesting program on The Discovery Channel a few weeks back about that very topic. Until that point I believed it was a fake. Basically, they tried to recreate all that stuff and even with modern tech, they cant do it.. They can get CLOSE but not quite..

Things like:
"The flag is blowing in the wind!!".. No it isn't.. The flag is suspended horizontally by a support brace and it is flapping because the astronaught was twisting the pole to get it into the floor and it carried on as there is no wind resistance on the moon due to lack of.. well.. wind!!

"Shadows converge implying multiple light sources!!" Have you even seen lamp post shadows coverge (during the day).. I have!!

And so on...

[EDIT] I wonder how powerful-a-telescope you'd need to see that flag from earth (as an amateur, not a member of nasa )

Mx5 kris
Years of Service
User Offline
from what they say:
Buy An Acre On The Moon!

As seen on The Ellen Show!

More than 800,000 customers from around the world have purchased real estate on the Moon from The Lunar Registry either as a gift or for themselves. Much more meaningful than naming a non-descript star millions of light years away, land on the Moon is a unique gift you can view almost every night. It's perfectly legal and perfectly fun!

Your property is permanently registered by the International Lunar Lands Registry in its annual publication, which is copyrighted and deposited in the United States Library of Congress and with international patent and trademark offices, including the United Kingdom (UK Patent Office), Japan (Japan Copyright Office), Russia (Rospatent) and with the United Nations (UN Depository Library), in compliance with the Berne Convention.

Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
Err.... my mom won't let me get it...

Mx5 kris
Years of Service
User Offline
lol.....I don't want it.....now if it was mars with its precious iron...

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 16:37
lol, it's all fake. Your can't purchase bitsof celestial bodes, as Philip has explained.

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
Moon landing wasnt faked but ill put my reasons for saying so in the other thread

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2004 02:43 Edited at: 20th Nov 2004 02:43
For some interesting insight
The man who sold the moon, written by Heinlein

(sci-fi short story, very good)

[center]
Come write!
Yarr join LoGD, and defeat other coders!
AnDrEy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2004 03:08
If a country manages to get the technology to start anything large on the moon, they wouyld also have the technology to screw up every satellite in orbit (rendering ICBMS, mobiles and GPS useless), there would be no debate. Its the first military power- america, china or russia, one will.

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2004 05:08
I own part of it.

You can too. http://www.lunarregistry.com/

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2004 06:24
@Scraggle

Sorry to tell you mate, but what you own are:

1. a worthless piece of paper which calls itself a certificate; and

2. a right to sue whoever the hell is behind the Lunaregistry for failing to transfer good title to you. You may even have a claim in fraud against them.

See my original post above. The Outer Space Treaty, to which all the world's major countries are signatories, forbids any private ownership of the Moon at all.

Philip

Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
its a scam. they take your money, know you wont live long enough to ever see the surface of the moon while not being on the surface of earth, wait for the paper to rot, live off the money they took. by the time you realise they dont have anything to do with the moon you're a 200 yr old decaptation.

what im more curious about is, what happens to religeon once we move out?

1) why the hell would we see the ghost of the virgin mary on mars? hhasnt she got better places to take a vacation? looks like anyone wanting a place of healing is stuck at lourdes, france...

2) do the muslims have to build another kabaa on every planet we colonise, or does everyone pray towards the direction of earth? it'd get tedious doing maths calculations 5 times a day to know where earth is...

3) where is who's holy land?

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2004 20:02
Similarly if we find aliens it would blow religion apart.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2004 00:33
Well, I've just relocated my secret base to the moon, so I guess that means I own it now. So keep orf moi land.

As for that treaty, any of those so-called major countries should take into account how much easier it is for me to drop on a rock on them than it is for them to do the same to me. Gravity seems to be on my side

I decided that I had to move because a certain bear added my Volcano base to the 'Good Tea Guide' making it a less-than-secret base. In retrospect, I guess that adding jam sandwiches to the menu was not such a good idea

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins and source code http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2004 03:34
Quote: "@Scraggle

Sorry to tell you mate, but what you own are:

1. a worthless piece of paper which calls itself a certificate"

I have no intention of arguing with you because you may be right, however, I will point out one thing it says on my certificate. That is, that there is a loophole in the very article that you have linked to which enables people to own real estate on celestial bodies but not countries.

Here is the article it refers to:
Quote: "Outer space, including the Moon and other celestial bodies, is not subject to national appropriation by claim of sovereignty, by means of use or occupation, or by any other means"

As you can see, it only outlaws countries not individuals.

I would like to think that it is a valid ownership but I don't see it as anything other than a framed talking point and in that capacity it works very well.

Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
how does it blow religeon apart? theres loadsa religeons out there, ok, CULTS, that worship aliens, and as for normal religeons... well as far as i know mine doesnt say anything to hint aliens dont exist, i even used to have the SETI screensaver for a few yrs until i got bored of it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 02:34:19
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 02:34:19