Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Stupid question?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't buy games very often so I'm probably not as experienced as all you lot who post things about Halo 2, Half-Life 2 etc. But what do people think about The Sims 2?? From the videos I've seen, the graphics look good (complexity, character movements etc.) and it looks like a good game. I've heard some people say though that you need quite a good machine to play it (mine 1.4 Ghz, 256 Ram, Nvidia GeForce FX5200 128Mb). Another game that appeals to me is Half-Life 2 (when's that coming out by the way?), but something tells me I wont be able to get the best out of it with my computer. What do you think??

Thanks for reading!
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 10:14
The Sims 2 is definitely good stuff, a lot more depth has been added. You will probably get an average experience with your copmuter. Your video is pretty nice, but you're not far from my processor speed and RAM (1.3ghz processor, 256 ram) and mine is pretty much incapable of running anything like that (that may be because of the 64mb graphic card though).
HalfLife 2 is coming out on November 16. It will undoubtedly be a cool and fun game to play.

You will not get the best graphics/sound/performance out of these games, but they will easily be within a playable range once you tone down the graphics.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
i hate the sims, its all a big marketing scam. they cant be bothered to put stuff in the game so they do it later and sell you the extra stuff in the form of an "expansion", and they do this over and over again, i dont believe so many people spend over £100 on a single dam game.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 20:02 Edited at: 13th Nov 2004 20:03
I've placed it once - but thats it. Not really my game... People have had many problems with it - apparently needs a patch.
Good for females though...

Walk softly... and carry a big gun...
avada kedavra81
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "its all a big marketing scam "

I've noticed that. Not just because of the expansions, but EA Games always seem to produce glossy games that are advertised heavily, but are not particularly well made.

Yes... I am ashamed to say I bought the 3rd Harry Potter (made by EA). Has anybody seen it? It's so full of bugs you can hardly play it. I hope games aren't going to get more like this.

Thanks for reading!
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 21:01
luckily this isnt the case with EA sports titles. They just sell you a new one each year

DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 DarkTOPIA site coming soon!
avada kedavra81
Years of Service
User Offline
God I hate that slogan "E...A...Sports... It's in the game" said in that really annoying voice

AAAAAAARGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!

Thanks for reading!
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 21:51
worse is the "Intel sound" and those dumb guys in the coloured cleanroom suits, I got to getting a nervous tic in the corner of my eye whenever I heard that sound, I buy AMD whenever possible just to pay em back for that unwelcome "Intel experience" (thank Sony for the mute button on the remote ) next most annoying is the windows startup sound, thankfully you can turn that off or replace it or next to the tic would have been voices demanding I kill Bill (hmmm....not a bad idea realy) LOL

Mentor.

PC1: P4 3ghz, 1gig mem, 3x160gig hd`s, Radeon 9800pro w cooler (3rd gfx card), 6 way speakers.
PC2: AMD 2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra, 16 bit SB.
Mini ATX cases suck.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 21:55
Unfortunately now we have to put up with the Intel Inside adverts in games...

Walk softly... and carry a big gun...
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 22:33 Edited at: 13th Nov 2004 22:36
WHAT? I hope not , I also hope they don`t play if you have AMD....since it would be a lie wouldn`t it? Intel wouldn`t be inside...AMD would.

Mentor.

PS: there could be serious money for someone who made a program that stripped adverts out of games software if that was the case, all you need to do is find the advertisement splashscreens and soundfiles and replace them with something trivial, like a musical note (or a raspberry) and a screen that says "death to advertisers"

PC1: P4 3ghz, 1gig mem, 3x160gig hd`s, Radeon 9800pro w cooler (3rd gfx card), 6 way speakers.
PC2: AMD 2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra, 16 bit SB.
Mini ATX cases suck.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 00:27:47
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 00:27:47