Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / metal storm <--- omg

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2004 00:53
Some Australian company in Queensland has worked out a method to shoot over a million bullets per minute, using an electronic firing method. conventional stuff is around at 6000 a minute at the moment with traditional methods.

basically the bullets live in a row in a tube without casings and with a computer each progressive bullet is fired by charging the explosive "juice" between each bullet, the bullet prior to the fired bullet expands slightly and prevents any bullets before it being fired. The scary thing is that they developed the principle from bubble jet printers!.

http://www.metalstorm.com/

check this video out if you have the broadband. its the best video to see the results and stuff. 80 megs or so.
http://www.metalstorm.com/videos/ms_introduction_mpg.zip

The scary thing is that it can be used for military and commercial purposes, and is being sold for gazillions to the united states military, they also have handguns that can spit out 3 bullets before the recoil displaces the guns position in space.

oh my god, why cant they think of something cool and positive instead of destructive.

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2004 01:31 Edited at: 14th Nov 2004 01:33
Quote: "why cant they think of something cool and positive instead of destructive."

Offensive=Defensive these days indi. M.A.D. You'd have to be nuts to pass this kind of technology up when it means less losses in your armed forces' lives... of course, it doesn't really reduce the death rates all around. War is a very ironic thing.

Hopefuly some good will come of this technology also, I'm all with you there .

Edit: Ah, and see, they are making good things like this. Now that is good weapon design .

[center]
The majority of voters agree that 49% != wrong.
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2004 02:21 Edited at: 14th Nov 2004 02:22
I love guns! Guns are great, I love to shoot guns, more power to them!
Check out my sig, to see my theory about violence. lol

Guns arnt the problem, people are the problems, shoot all the people and guns arnt a problems anymore.
Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2004 02:24
But imagine the size of the supply lines required keep those guns operatioonal on the battlefield. Looking at current conflicts it seems gurilla wars are gonna be the norm for a long time. In gurilla wars supply lines need to be minimized. A very large percentage of attacks in Iraq are on US supply convoys.

The word "Gullible" cannot be found in any English Dictionary.
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2004 02:58
So with one lorry of supplies it can fire constantly for 1 minute (Or until the lorry is blown up)

The 3d chat is coming...
Rights For Traffic Cones!
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2004 05:32 Edited at: 14th Nov 2004 06:17
or it could be handheld and fire one million needles with dumb-dumb properties in 1msec bursts (1,000,000/1000)/60=16 or 17 rounds per burst), you get a rash on your chest where they went in and about the same amount of damage you would suffer being stabbed 17 times by a stilleto in your back where they exit, and the guy with the gun could fire 16,000 odd "bursts" between reloads, you just don`t argue with people holding weapons like that, thats the whole idea of being ahead in weapons, deterence, it doesn`t work if you don`t use em when you must though.
as a point of interest to us as games coders, it makes the clips on weapons in games like Unreal or Doom look antiquated, the future is more likley gonna be 10,000 round hypersonic dart guns that need a clip changing every 15 minutes of use, rather than the classical 32 round machine gun clips or weapons that fire a few dozen times per clip/charge.

Mentor.

PC1: P4 3ghz, 1gig mem, 3x160gig hd`s, Radeon 9800pro w cooler (3rd gfx card), 6 way speakers.
PC2: AMD 2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra, 16 bit SB.
Mini ATX cases suck.
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2004 07:48
Quote: "they also have handguns that can spit out 3 bullets before the recoil displaces the guns position in space."

Finaly an Allied answer to the AKM, it took long enough.

Which is the biggest tool? The computer, or the muppet who invented it?
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2004 11:16 Edited at: 14th Nov 2004 11:29
mad! super weapons are the bomb. the way i see this whole race for military supremacy is good, i'd love to live in a post apocalyptic world, like in fallout, more fun in adventure than working at a bank. dl'ing the movies now.

edit: HOLY CRUD, just watched the anti mine field thingy, 1800 explosive rounds and like 360 mortars in .25 seconds!~! thats gotta be one hell of a show! i should get a huge amoutn of money and set up my own military bunker and set up that sheet around it so that i can survive the nuclear war and start my own brotherhood of steel. ooh other video has downlaoded watchign it now!

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2004 20:20
The only problem with your post apocalyptic world is the apocalypse...

Which is the biggest tool? The computer, or the muppet who invented it?
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2004 01:41
Well by then Ill be on the moon so I dont have to worry

Making better games everday!
Oh yeah and just so you know its Oh-nek-a not One-ka!
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
The apocalypse in Postal2 looked like fun...

Quote: "I've seen the word programming and I'm not sure what it means. Anybody please explain?"

Quote: "We shouldn't sacrifice the truth to preserve "balance"."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 00:18:37
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 00:18:37