Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Cyber Terrorism

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2004 03:21 Edited at: 16th Nov 2004 03:26
I'm looking for some help with my essay on Cyber Terrorism. The first part of the essay is the define cyber terrorism. I've started to write a little about it and managed to summarise it into these 4 catagories.
1) Terrorist groups like Al Qaida, using the net.
2) Online criminals (bank hackers), Virus writters
3) Information Hackers.
4) Internet Fear Mongers.
What i need are links to articles that concern catagories 1 and 2. I have plenty on 3 and 4, a little on 2, and virtually nothing on 1. I've tried google and have been searching for things all day but i havn't been able to find anything useful. What i need are news stories from reliable sources, like CNN or BBC News, that are about big virus threats, stories about online fraudsters, about online bank heists, or general terrorism that involves the internet for communication or for planning. You should know what i mean. The second half of the essay is what threat do cyber terrorisrs pose to Europe.
I'd really appreciate some ideas and good links. I'll check back tonight and tommorow to see if there's any good ideas i can include in my essay (or possibly new angles). I'm not asking you to do my homewrok for me, by the way-all i want is a couple of ideas and maybe some help with finding the right articles. So no need to be guilty, ok? Thanks guys.

-#Dave

Your soul...it tastes like chicken

Official Website Postponed Indefinately
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2004 03:31 Edited at: 16th Nov 2004 03:38
check out yahoo! news, i've seen loads of hacker-related news headlines on there lately. Go to the site and search for whatever you want.

They've got sub categories like Computer Security, Cybercrime and Internet Fraud and i remember sometime ago they had a page on virus history.

DivW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2004 03:38
Hey, nice link. I've managed to find a lot of stuff through yahoo news now. There's just so many news sites and search engines, it takes more than one person to look at them all. I need links for the first one now, most of all. Thanks. -Dave

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2004 10:35
how bout tism's song cerebral knievel's lyrics:

I'm a cyber terrorist, just how cool is that!
I'm gonna take on the world bank an dknock the bastard flat,
broadband is my minefield
The command prompt my gun!
The fact is I'm a d*ckwad and so very young!

Revolution's not been tried before not that I'm aware,
We're the first in history, if not, i wasn't there,
there was some thing in france my teacher once did speak,
But it can't have ever come to much, and i skipped school that week.

Revolution 9! revolution 9!
No one's ever thought before teh thoughts inside my head!

Revolution 9! revolution 9!
before us cyber-terror kids no one sliced their bread!

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2004 13:01
what are ya, your a w@^%er

http://lyrics.rare-lyrics.com/T/Tism/Whatareya.html

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
DivW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2004 02:07
Funny, but not much help. Any good examples of Terrorists using the internet to make their point, example the Iraq terrorists posting decapitation videos on their website. I'm looking for something that's a little less recent than that though, it's a bit of a strong subject matter seeing as how it's a current event, and plus, decapitation videos... quite a sickening example. My essay's hoping for an insightful look, not something that will make people wince. Anything lower key than that, but along the same lines? Anyone know a terrorist chat room? Anything news stories relating to something like that would really help me out-i'll be back at 9:00 tonight guys, thanks very much.

-Dave

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 00:24:52
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 00:24:52