Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / I need to record the screen, not a game, video from WMP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2004 06:31
Hey guys, I got a new DVD recorder and I burned a nice pretty DVD and all that but now I want to be able to have the movie as an .avi on my compooper. I was thinking the easiest way to go was screen recording, but I can't seem to find any programs that will record you watching Windows Media Player, or other similar media players. I understand it would be a weird technical thing, and would promote pirating DVDs if such programs existed, but is there no solution at all?

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
DVD converter?

Quote: "I've seen the word programming and I'm not sure what it means. Anybody please explain?"

Quote: "We shouldn't sacrifice the truth to preserve "balance"."
Zone Chicken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2004 06:46 Edited at: 17th Nov 2004 06:55
http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_utils.shtml
im not going to go into much cause im not sure if all of it is legal what with the media laws changing all the time. But you'll need to unlock your rom drive with a aspi force driver and rip the .vob files to hd, then use a encoder to rebuild the files as .avi the whole process takes about 4 hours for a low quality dvd encode to 700 mbs, and 6 to 8 for a high quality 2 pass encode at 1gb, if you try to record from media player your not going to get a decent copy there will be frame loss and such because you will be playing and trying to record at the same time putting a load on your cpu, a rip will give you a much better quality .avi again im not sure if it's still legal to rip dvd's anymore even if you have bought and own them as i don't keep up with the changing media law's.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2004 10:01
The school of thought is if you own it you can make one archival back up copy for yourself, but they are all still fighting about it in the courts. We need Philip to smack them around a bit with her majesty's trout

DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 DarkTOPIA site coming soon!
Great Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
a DVD ripper is your answer. I got one. Have not use it yet, but it takes a DVD and put in on your computer as a avi format at least small enough to fit on a CD.

Are you a leader or follower.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2004 11:53
dvd decryptor is the best ripper ive found for pcs so far.
I use it with dvd shrink to compress the file
once u have the files on your drive, you will need to convert it from mpeg2 to avi.

http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

http://www.dvd-makers.com/

http://www.kenwoodtech.com/

http://www.divx-digest.com/software/mpeg2avi_imedia.html

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2004 12:55
Thanks for the fantastic links guys!

Ok, I've got DVD Decryptor and DGMPGDec (used to be called DVD2AVI). I just need to transfer over them to my computer with a DVD drive.

From what I've read:

You use a program like DVD Decryptor to decrypt the dvd so you can see the .IFOs, and .VOBs and .AOBs, or sometimes it's .VRO and .ARO if it was made using a DVD recorder.

Then you change the extension of all the .VOB and .AOB (or .VRO or .ARO) to .MPG and run them through DGMPGDec and you have a set of video and audio which you can put together in an .avi editor (I'll just use Windows Movie Maker).

Ooh...I just read on a DVD FAQ that in the cases of .VRO and .ARO you need a special program to make it a regular encoded .MPG. I think it mentioned Heuris, I guess I'll get that later if I need it.

If you guys could confirm I'd be much appreciative. well, I am appreciative right now so I'll be super appreciative.

Thanks again.

Sony stole our name!
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2004 15:46
Quote: "I want to be able to have the movie as an .avi on my compooper"

What a great new word, compooper

AKA teh great Pet Rat.
Peace sells...but who's buying??
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2004 08:53
The word compooper is appropriate when talking about PCs with a processor speed of less then 2ghz, or a graphics card with less than 128b of video ram. Or a hard drive with less than 80gb of initial storage, or when the remaining storage of any originally sized hard drive is less than 1gb.

Sony stole our name!
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2004 09:37
What are you trying to say young man? My processor speed is 1533MHz and I have a 60GB HD. Compewper hater!

AKA teh great Pet Rat.
Peace sells...but who's buying??
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2004 10:18
Unless of course you are teh uber user and you compooper running as though it were a computer.

Sony stole our name!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2004 01:18
Quote: "when talking about PCs with a processor speed of less then 2ghz, or a graphics card with less than 128b of video ram"

what?! My athlon machine with a 1.6(and 2.1, dual setup) and 64mb video can render 3dsmax scenes faster than my P2.8e chip. pooper my butt!

DVD decrypt is the way to go. Once you have the raw files, there's a load of programs that can do whatever you want.

"eureka" - Archimedes

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 00:26:19
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 00:26:19