Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / newbie looking for good 3d modeller

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2004 20:56
hi, I'm a total newbie and I am trying to find a good and cheap 3D modeller and after looking around I can across Game Space Light (which is free) I thought this was quite good. Could anyone who has Game Space Light please say what they think as I would like to know before downloading. Also if anybody knows of any other Modeller it would be helpful.
Jozers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2004 23:54
Thought I would just add a link to the GameSpace web page just in case anyone wanted to check it out
[/href]http://www.caligari/gamespace/gsl/
New World Order
Years of Service
User Offline
i dont know gamespace lite, but in my opinion milkshpae 3d is a very good modelling program you should maybe consider. ive been using it for 2 1/2 years now and am quite pleased actually. the progeam costs $25 or EUR 25 and theres a free 30-day trial version to try it out. you can get more info/the trial-version here: www.milkshape3d.com
milkshape is relatively easy and quick to learn. it supports bones for skeletal animation and texturing is, although a little compicated at first, also quite simple. another advantage is that it can export into alot of different fileformats inculding the .x

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato
Jozers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2004 02:05
Thanks New world order I have looked at milkshape and it does look quite good although I've hear some bad things about it. It is definitly one to consider. However I still think gamespace looks pretty good, but I might try the milkshape trail before downloading gamespace just to see which I prefere.
IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2004 03:25
if u have tonnes of money go for 3ds max, it is great

Used to be Phoenix_insane registered in september 2003 despite what the date says to the left <--
PC - amd athlon 2.0ghz, 512mb, GeForce FX 5200 128mb, 200gb, xp pro sp2
Jozers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2004 04:35
Quote: "if u have tonnes of money go for 3ds max, it is great"

The thing is I don't have tonnes of money as I am only 14, but I did put I was looking for a cheap modeller above, but I would probably would get 3d max if I could. Thanks for the advice anyway!!!
sadsack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2004 09:43
get DeleD
New World Order
Years of Service
User Offline
oh yeah by the way, be sure to do a tutorial on milkshape. i didnt, coz i usually figure out stuff quite quick, but the result was, that i needed 1 1/2 years to learn how to make normal polygons and not only have a model made of primitives (yeh, i kno im kinda dumb )

Quote: "get DeleD"
never heard of DeleD before but just checked it out... dosent look bad either, i culdt find a price though

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato
Jozers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2004 23:39
Quote: "get DeleD"

Never heard of DeleD either, but might as well check it out if say it's good and I will try and find a price. Someone should have a look at gamespace light and say what they think. http://www.caligari/gamespace/gsl/ I think i looks good but if anyone has I'd be interested in what they think. Anyway thanks sadsack
Sir Ollie
Years of Service
User Offline
jozers

i've got gamespace lite and i think it is o.k but it is not very good for polygon modelling. if you are trying to make a 3d model then this is not too good.

i've heard milkshape's good.

ollie

"Use the force you must..."
blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2004 02:47
Get Gmax from the 3ds max website [href]www.discreet.com[/href]. It's basically what you get if you take 3DS Max, put an educational-or-free-only license on it and rip out the more expensive features. Because of all the money discreet are gathering from 3ds max, they really have put quite a bit of effort into gmax.. (download size approx 50mb)

Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2004 05:52
I use MetasequoiaLE it's free and I am able to use it.

- Mind the gap -
Jozers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2004 04:03
Thanks for the replies, been very busy this week and will have a look at Gmax and MetasequoiaLE when I have time, just posted to say thanks as they replies they are very helpful.
Thanks again

Jozers
Dom
Years of Service
User Offline
Does DeleD animate? By the way Gamespacelite is good! But I only use it for animation cos of the polygon limits, for modelling i use anim8or!

MAIN GAMES PRESENTS: Catz
Turn Based War Game
Jozers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2004 02:36
I was speaking to a friend the other day and he said he had Milkshape 3D he said it was good but found animating hard is this true or is animating hard with all/most 3d modellers.
Guyon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2004 15:35
Milkshape makes a really solid .x file that works well with DBpro. I wish 3ds Max exported that well. Get Milkshape.
Murph
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 10:32
DeleD doesnt animate but I like it

Dude...
Jozers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2004 03:28
Just got Milkshape 3D, it's really good from what I have seen eventhough I've only been on it for a bit. Thanks to everyone who has given me their advice
Must go, I've got some modelling to do!!!
Jozers
Spline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2004 03:48
try wing3d it a great for lowpoly modelling and its free
http://www.wings3d.com
and maybe use milkshape for you animation
alot of people have got different view about milkshape
but for the money i dont think you will get anything better
and it supports bones for skeletal animation so you could
animate within Darkbasic.
Dom
Years of Service
User Offline
I prefer to use deled for modelling levels.

DRAGONFIRE STUDIOS
Lead Programmer
(The Studio being my front room)
DLS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2004 01:26
if i can put my 2 cents in here.

there is an exporter for 3d max called "panda xporter" if memory serves me right.

from what i heard it works very well but as 3ds files can be extremely high poly count so the .x files can be very big.

in my opinion get milkshape. it technically does what 3ds does and its easier to make low polly modles with it.

(just upgraded) system specs: AMD XP 3000+, 512Mb DDR333, nvidia ge-force FX 5600 128MB, 1x8Gb & 1x40Gb HHD, 52x CD drive, DVD+RW 4x, Sound Blaster 128.... all in a Nokia 8310 case :0D
Jozers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2004 04:34
I've been checking out milkshape and I'm surprised how easy it is!
But i haven't got around to texturing my model yet! Is this as easy as the rest of the program? I will also have a look at wing3d when I have a moment to spare.
Thanks everyone

Jozers

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 06:27:40
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 06:27:40